Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 123
    Given: 91

Non-conference schedule

Currently watching the K-State vs Auburn game, I heard Ron Franklin talk about Auburn opening seasons against USC, Kansas State, and someone else (I forgot) in the last few years and they are opening against West Virginia next season. No creampuffs for them.

It got me thinking how much I can't wait for ISU to be in the position to play some marquee schools to open the year. I loved playing Florida State in 2002; I think it would be a real benefit for us to do games like that more often. Maybe in a few years we can be in a position like K-State is tonight, going on the road against a tough opponent in a hostile environment and being very competitive against a big-time opponent.

I know it would make it tougher to get the wins we need to be bowl eligible, but maybe if we play such good competition to start the season we'd be in better shape for the Big 12 and be more competitive in bowl games in the future. I guess I just would rather play someone like Auburn, Georgia, hell even Illinois or Minnesota instead of Northern Iowa, South Dakota State, and MAC-by-committee.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

Re: Non-conference schedule

I don't care who we play if we win. W's are the absolute, most important thing for this program.

Addict
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 247
    Given: 169

I somewhat agree, I would like to see us play UNI and iowa every year in non-conf. but I am sick of always running into these MAC-level teams right when they are on the rise...I'd have no problem going to a BCS conf program's place like K State did against Auburn, I especially would like it if we went to play in Florida against FSU or Miami (FL.) I say we either do that, or schedule teams at home that are BONIFIED wins (like IDK, SE Missouri State, where we would play in Ames, and nowhere else), not these MAC teams with decent talent. Also, someone remind me why we have to go and play AT Toledo this year? and then AT Kent State in 2 years? that sucks. We are in the Big 12, we shouldn't have to do 1 and 1's with MAC conference teams (nothing against them), but I guess IF it means we have to do non-conf games AWAY, then why not make them against a program of interest where WE can be the Kent State and knock off a bigger program??

ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

HOI-BALL!!!

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Financially it's dumb for ISU to have more than one road non-con game. If in those off years we find another BCS school besides Iowa that would be fine but we're not really in a position to go "anywhere, anytime."