Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Smile A few things that annoy me about college football

I LOVE this time of year! At least prior to Thursday night, everything was optimistic and College Football Rocks. A few annoyances though:

--Hawkeye fans

--Brian Griese overly-patronizing his ex-broadcasting partner Kieth Jackson. If I hear him try to imitate him or do a lame folksy rendition/tribute again, I will throw a brick through my television.

--Brent Mussbuger. Awful. Isn't there some WNBA game that needs a commentator?

--PollyAnna Cyclone fans who try to correct those of us that saw a team with no heart and no toughness on Thursday. I love the Cyclones, and wish God gave me another 50 pounds on my frame so I could have played offensive line with heart, intelligence, and toughness.

--Bob Brooks. Can't someone close to him just say "enough is enough". The guy is like Walter Cronkite, he has been reading his own accolades too much and thinks he is God's voice on sports. You can gracefully exit without the compulsion to have your mug and voice in the media, and still live fulfilling twilight years.

--Cornhusker Fans

--Offensive Holding calls conveniently called as make-calls against an underdog team after they make a big play as a visitor against a favored home opponent. Hear that Big 12 refs?

--multi-use stadiums built between 1965 and 1975

--Bret Bulima

--Any team "taking a knee" with time left in a half. Sure conventional wisdom says a mistake could be made. Sure there are some circumstances that warrant it. But if you are in a competitive game at all (ISU always is) or losing, you must send the message to your team that every second and effort is precious. There are only 12 games a year. Only 60 minutes a game. Why waste a second? If you are over your own 30 yard line, and the above conditions apply, you should be chunking the ball downfield to score.

--The Des Moine Register Sports coverage. Correct that, The Des Moines Register coverage in all aspects.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

Re: A few things that annoy me about college football

I hate Bob Brooks.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 25
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 8

A few annoyances: how well the other Big 12 schools are doing today. I know it's good for the conference, but all these TV appearances are getting on my nerves. I'd be decidedly less on edge if we won Thursday night, but seeing Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas State doing so well, even Colorado getting off on the right foot...

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Starter
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 518
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

--Brian Griese overly-patronizing his ex-broadcasting partner Kieth Jackson. If I hear him try to imitate him or do a lame folksy rendition/tribute again, I will throw a brick through my television.

Did Brian get cut by the Bears and is now broadcasting games?

Addict
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 1,090
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 92

ESPNU, ESPN2, and FSN announcers are terrible. I hate it when they mix metaphors from other sports into football broadcasts, like, "Both teams are holding serve," or "He goes for the home run ball" or whatever else. It's just stupid. And it's particularly agonizing listening to ex-football players doing the color commentary and making the most rudimentary, Madden-level analyses on-air. Sometimes I just think, "My God, how much money does this guy make just to tell me that scoring more points than the other team is good and will definitely help Team X?"

Starter
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 501
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Maybe it's just me, or maybe they are good calls, but one thing that drives me nuts is that it seems like on 90% of kickoffs & punts in college football there is an illegal block in the back call. I know it's a rule and if it's a good call, then make it, but it seems like the receiving team can't do anything right on returns anymore

TRUE & VALIANT

Addict
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 247
    Given: 169

I think hawkeye fans are my only complaint so far, the trailer trash of our state of out in full force now...how come everyone in this entire state that I run into that never went to college IS a hawkeye fan? I don't get it...I hardly ever meet people who never went to college and are UNI, ISU, or Drake fans...I just don't get how those who didn't or couldn't go to college feel the need to associate themselves with the hawkeyes? I personally think its just fairweatheredness. If iowa wasn't mildly competitive in the big 10 and were instead a consistent bottom feeder then we wouldn't see this. I guess I just really hate it because you can't talk sports with these people, at work a non-college hawk fan kept talking to me about Auburn State upsetting Michigan today...who the F is Auburn State??? Seriously...

ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

HOI-BALL!!!

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Edit by KeepNGoal.

Actually, nothing is funnier than the 1980 Hawkeye conversion vans running around, completely rusted out, with the entire Clampett family riding in them, dressed in Black and Gold.

Last edited by keepngoal; 09-05-2007 at 08:50 AM.

Mariner Moose
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,158
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 182
    Given: 588

Bob Brooks...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 882
    Given: 630

Quote Originally Posted by isucyclone4 View Post
    I guess I just really hate it because you can't talk sports with these people, at work a non-college hawk fan kept talking to me about Auburn State upsetting Michigan today...who the F is Auburn State??? Seriously...
    What really annoys me is when people act like the ESPN commercial and talk sports out of their ***...

Michigan didn't lose to Auburn State - I don't think there's such thing as an Auburn State - it's APPALACHIAN STATE!!! APPALACHIAN STATE!!! And for your information, they've won the last two straight D I-AA championships. In other words, they've seen more success as a football program in the last 2 years than we've seen in the last 100.

Rip time over

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

The phrase:

"taking it to the HOUSE"

and Steve Deace.......by the way, has anyone seen the little fella since his beloved Meechigan team layed the egg of all time?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 882
    Given: 630

Quote Originally Posted by scubapohl1 View Post
    and Steve Deace.......by the way, has anyone seen the little fella since his beloved Meechigan team layed the egg of all time?
    It was a really bad weekend for him. His quasi-employer ISU got beat by a "lowly" MAC school, and as you said, Michigan laid the biggest egg of all time against Appalachian St. He must only be beginning to come out of his alcohol-induced coma now...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Rookie
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 132
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by scubapohl1 View Post
    The phrase:

I will see him tomorrow. Does anyone know where I can buy some App State gear?

Going back to the original topic of this thread:

- the number of "experts" in the stands who know more than the coaches.

- People booing the decision to take a knee before half. Ask yourself this. Do you think our offensive line could hold their blocks for the 5 seconds or so it would take Meyer to drop back and deliver a 60+ yard bomb? I don't think so either. So, throwing a bomb at that point only invites trouble. It doesn't "send a message". Throwing a desperation bomb only sends the message that you are desperate.

- People calling for the coaches to "open up the offense". Meanwhile your running back is averaging over 6 yards a carry with no turnovers, and your QB is averaging about 6 yards per attempt with 2 turnovers. What exactely do you want to open the offense up to? 4 turnovers? 5 turnovers? Would that make you happy?

- People that say with 50 pounds they would have been great college players. You are never going to play college football. Deal with it.

- The people sitting next to me Thursday night who after THE FIRST SERIES announced loudly they weren't renewing their season tickets for next year. They did not like me much after I responded to their announcement. They will like me even less as the season goes on....

Speechless
    Overall activity: 87.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,560
    Given: 751

Quote Originally Posted by Shinyhappyclone View Post
    I LOVE this time of year! At least prior to Thursday night, everything was optimistic and College Football Rocks. A few annoyances though:

--Hawkeye fans

--Brent Mussbuger. Awful. Isn't there some WNBA game that needs a commentator?

--PollyAnna Cyclone fans who try to correct those of us that saw a team with no heart and no toughness on Thursday. I love the Cyclones, and wish God gave me another 50 pounds on my frame so I could have played offensive line with heart, intelligence, and toughness.

--Bob Brooks. Can't someone close to him just say "enough is enough". The guy is like Walter Cronkite, he has been reading his own accolades too much and thinks he is God's voice on sports. You can gracefully exit without the compulsion to have your mug and voice in the media, and still live fulfilling twilight years.

--Cornhusker Fans

--Offensive Holding calls conveniently called as make-calls against an underdog team after they make a big play as a visitor against a favored home opponent. Hear that Big 12 refs?

--multi-use stadiums built between 1965 and 1975

--Bret Bulima

--Any team "taking a knee" with time left in a half. Sure conventional wisdom says a mistake could be made. Sure there are some circumstances that warrant it. But if you are in a competitive game at all (ISU always is) or losing, you must send the message to your team that every second and effort is precious. There are only 12 games a year. Only 60 minutes a game. Why waste a second? If you are over your own 30 yard line, and the above conditions apply, you should be chunking the ball downfield to score.

--The Des Moine Register Sports coverage. Correct that, The Des Moines Register coverage in all aspects.
    Not trying to be sexist, but I have trouble listening to a female broadcaster in the booth. Just not used to it, and maybe as they are more common, I will find some that I like. Just hasn't happened so far.

However, all the ills of college football are wiped out with fell swoop:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	erin-andrews-061008-3.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	636

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 29

On the topic of this thread...

1) People sitting behind me in section 1. All game long. "Isn't Chizik a defensive coach. I can't see how he lasted in Texas with this garbage."

First off..... I would love to be Texas, but unfortunately we don't have the TALENT.

2) People that leave the football game at the end of the 3rd quarter or at half time and never come back.

You bought a season ticket. So sit down and cheer your team.

3) I heard through my fiance a guy bought season tickets to go see his grandson play. Well, the kid I think is a walk on or someone burried on the depth chart. Didn't get to dress this game cause probably poor practice. Left the game at half and told family he won't go to the rest of the games cause he didn't play or dress up.

This is just humor here. Great the kid might dress some game, but buying season tickets to see him stand on the sideline all game. Sure great story if he plays. Means either we are winning big or getting blown out. I loved the movie RUDY, but come on. To get that mad about him not dressing and not wanting to come back the rest of the season is rediculous....

Ok... Those are a few that bothered me this week. I'm sure there will be new ones next week. Like the fans that can't finish that last beer in time, and then leave halfway through the second quarter to get more. Oh and then comeback in late yet again.

Its football... Not the fox lounge out there.

Last edited by chadm; 09-05-2007 at 12:51 PM. Reason: mod board decision
    GDMCC Member follow us on twitter @dmcyclub