Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 2

Angry MVQ Shopping Essentials SCAM

I was perusing my bank information tonight when I noticed a $20.95 charge appear on my credit card dated yesterday - which I thought was odd because I didn't recognize the description (Mvq*shoppingessential+ 877-442-5774 Ct) and I knew that I hadn't used the credit card for at least a week. I got a little curious and Googled the description. What I found immediately alarmed me. Numerous pages of angry consumers detailing how they had been scammed by this company. I immediately looked through my account history, and sure enough, this company has been charging me approximately (it varies slightly) $20 a month since at least December, 2009 (last online statement I had available). I don't even know how far back these charges go just yet and how much money I've been scammed out of, but it's in the hundreds.

It seems there are several ways that you can end up in this scam, but I believe the way it happened in my case is that if you have ever bought a coupon on Restaurant.com, there is apparently a banner or survey or something that if you click on it, it automatically transfers your bank information to this company and signs you up for this monthly "service" in which no one has any idea what the benefits are. I absolutely have no recollection of ever signing up for anything like this. It floors me that it has gone unnoticed for this long.

I will be calling my bank and this company today to cancel my "membership" and to see how long this has been going on for and what I can do about getting a full refund. It looks like a few people have been successful in getting full refunds, so I'm holding out a little bit of hope that I can manage the same. Nevertheless, I will also be contacting the BBB and filing a complaint. This company needs to be exposed and shut down, what they are doing is very unethical (illegal?).

I thought I would post this here in case anyone else has ever come across this before, and to alert everyone to pay close attention to charges on their bank accounts.

Pro
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 174
    Given: 77

Re: MVQ Shopping Essentials SCAM

That's shittay! No really, that does suck. Hopefully you can get your loot back or something!

*Rest in peace corn dog chick

"what you dont know is that treehouse masters is just mansions for WVU fans"

CF Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Prospect
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 151
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Happened to me several years ago, same type of deal through Restraunt.com. I luckily caught it after only 4 or 5 months and I think they ended up refunding me the 4 or 5 months they withdrew funds.

Learning lessson for me to always look at every single purchase on my credit card statement.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,175
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 291
    Given: 621

Was this a credit card or debit card?

I never use my debit card for anything online and check my credit card statement every month.

They say country music speaks to the heart. Unfortunately, it has to go through your ears to get there.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 272
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I buy coupons/certificates from Restuaurant.com and have never noticed any funny charges.

Just in case you didn't know... I'm a girl.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,554
    Given: 277

That does suck. But how could you be getting charged $20 a month for a year and a half and not notice?

Legend
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 447
    Given: 975

Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    That does suck. But how could you be getting charged $20 a month for a year and a half and not notice?
    $20 here and there could easily slip by someone that isn't looking at each and every transaction on their credit card statement. Most people tend to pay more attention to the larger dollar amount charges on their statement which tends to allow these scams for $10 to $20 a month to steal their money.

The question I have is why a more reputable site would allow a scam like that to be displayed on their website for their unsuspecting customers to get screwed by?

Rookie
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 166
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonestate78 View Post
    The question I have is why a more reputable site would allow a scam like that to be displayed on their website for their unsuspecting customers to get screwed by?
    Because they get a cut.

Legend
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 447
    Given: 975

Quote Originally Posted by akellar View Post
    Because they get a cut.
    Add their site to the list of businesses that CF is boycotting.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 2

Update....

I called my bank first to try to get a record from them to find out when the charges first started occurring, they tried to get me to pay $3/monthly statement past 18 months which might as well be a scam IMO. I said no thanks and called the number associated with the charge on my statement and talked to this MVQ Shopping Essentials Plus company. A representative told me that I had signed up for this service as part of a trial offer after a purchase from Restaurants.com in November 2008. The first 30 days is a free trial membership, after which if it is not cancelled they begin automatically billing your credit card. I never received any communication from them about this "offer." I told them to cancel my membership immediately and demanded a full refund. I was transferred to a supervisor who told me that according to the terms of membership, that refunds are not allowed. I said that I should be entitled to a full refund for this since I never knowingly signed up for this service and never received anything from being a member. He offered to refund the last month's charge and said he would file a refund request and I would receive a response within 5-7 days. If I am denied, I will be filing a BBB report and will file a claim with my credit card company. Others have said that they were denied a full refund, only for it to be granted after they filed a BBB claim.

In total, I was charged $526.50 over the course of 30 months. It's really scary to think that I let this go on for so long, since I have online banking and have surely seen this charge on there before. I'm pretty sure whenever I noticed it previously, I passed it off as a charge for something I bought online, and since it varied from $14.95 at inception to $20.95 in the end, it wasn't a large enough charge to really raise an eyebrow at. Obviously I was mistaken, and I will definitely be more scrutinizing of my accounts from now on...