Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 46

Re: Dont be this guy

We had a parent freak out at one of our games this year. he was from the other team. He was yelling at the ump for a called 2nd strike. Was not even the kids 3rd strike. He went crazy on the ump. I actually thought it was a strike. Ump kicked him out and he did what any good parent would do. Took his kid with him so he could not finish the game, and basically embarass the kid to death. This is 9-10 year olds. Parents are crazy at little league games. I had a parent yell at me for protesting a call at first in which the kid missed first base. I told my pitcher to throw it to first in protest. The ump actually saw the kid miss and call him out since he ran to second already. The dad went with the "just kids" routine. I told him he is correct and they need to learn to step on first base.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Pro
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 571
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 138

"Catfish"? Apparently DJs don't choose their own nicknames.

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    We had a parent freak out at one of our games this year. he was from the other team. He was yelling at the ump for a called 2nd strike. Was not even the kids 3rd strike. He went crazy on the ump. I actually thought it was a strike. Ump kicked him out and he did what any good parent would do. Took his kid with him so he could not finish the game, and basically embarass the kid to death. This is 9-10 year olds. Parents are crazy at little league games. I had a parent yell at me for protesting a call at first in which the kid missed first base. I told my pitcher to throw it to first in protest. The ump actually saw the kid miss and call him out since he ran to second already. The dad went with the "just kids" routine. I told him he is correct and they need to learn to step on first base.
    I was officiating a youth basketball tourney several years ago. There was a kid on the team who I was very familiar with and actually liked a lot. But he could literally tackle someone and when the whistle blew he'd throw his arms up and look around like,"What'd I do?" I very politely informed him after the second time he did it that the next time he would get a technical and he should not test if I was kidding or not. Didn't make a show of it, just a nice quiet conversation between the two of us.

A couple minutes later -- you guessed it -- I followed through on my promise. His dad absolutely freaked out and came all the way down to the scorer's table to berate me. He used the infamous "you can't T up a 5th grader" defense. I simply informed the gentleman that I had very warned him previously yet he did it again, now was a time in his life when he was very impressionable and it was time to learn a lesson about sportsmanship and he (the father) was now setting an incredibly poor example for his son. Surprisingly, he didn't say another word.

But this and other similar incidents are why I simply will not work youth basketball anymore. Unless I'm really desperate for work, I won't even work non-varsity basketball. Why would I put myself through the abuse if I don't have to?

I just wish people could get a little perspective.

Last edited by ruxCYtable; 05-19-2011 at 03:47 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 353

So this guy is talking privately with his wife, and someone else interjects, the guy and his wife tell her to mind her own business, others yell at him so he yells back, it escalates and he gets charged.

Just my opinion, but thats crap. A guy having a convo with his wife gets charged because a nosey person interjects and escalates it.

Legend
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 273

Quote Originally Posted by isufbcurt View Post
    So this guy is talking privately with his wife, and someone else interjects, the guy and his wife tell her to mind her own business, others yell at him so he yells back, it escalates and he gets charged.

Just my opinion, but thats crap. A guy having a convo with his wife gets charged because a nosey person interjects and escalates it.
    I am going to have to agree with you. He really shouldn't have continued on with the argument but unless the WDM Police intend to charge every parent at that game then that is just plain wrong. This wasn't one guy going crazy all by himself... there were other people involved that were just as much in the wrong as he was.

Legend
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 102

I heard someone talking about it yesterday that was there and here is what they said.

Catfish was making statements out loud about the coaches. One of the wives of the coaches pretty much said "these guys are coaching for free and if you don't like it maybe you should be the coach". Catfish then started talking in a profaneway to his wife about what the woman said but made it so everyone could hear. Some other guy stuck up for the coaches wife and then all hell broke lose. From everything I heard, it sounds like catfish is an ***-clown.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    I heard someone talking about it yesterday that was there and here is what they said.

Catfish was making statements out loud about the coaches. One of the wives of the coaches pretty much said "these guys are coaching for free and if you don't like it maybe you should be the coach". Catfish then started talking in a profaneway to his wife about what the woman said but made it so everyone could hear. Some other guy stuck up for the coaches wife and then all hell broke lose. From everything I heard, it sounds like catfish is an ***-clown.
    I know his type and this was what I assumed happened. His "private" conversation, although technically addressed to his wife, was done in a loud and passive-aggressive manor intentionally designed to draw attention to himself and/or bait someone into an argument. I also think the fact that, according to the article, he didn't even realize the game had been halted because of the argument shows you where his mind was -- 100% focused on the altercation and being a *******.

Pro
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 386
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 6

I umpired a lot when I was in H.S. and College. I have a pretty strong personality which is why I could do it for as long as I did. Coaches are often bad. Parents are usually worse... Quick story.

Probably the 15th game I ever did was a game of 4th graders. I mean they were bouncing balls to the plate most of the time. So the level of game wasn't real great. There was this dad who stared belittling one of the coaches. Then he was hammering on me and the younger kid who was umpiring the field. In between innings, I walked back to the fence and told the guy, that if he kept at it, I was going to throw him out of the game. He quickly told me I couldn't do that because I was just a high school kid. I walked away and the next inning, he just starts in on me worse than before. I put up with it for two outs of the inning. Midway through the at-bat, I stopped the game. I basically said that the team that his kid was on was going to forfeit if he did not leave the stands. At this point, the other parents and coaches backed me up and after some arguing, the guy walks out to the field beyond his outfield where the cars are parked.

I go on thinkng I did pretty well handling that and about an inning later, right after a strike out, I hear "HONK HONK HONK!" The guy had pulled his car up to right by the dugout and he continued to honk at every call I made for the rest of the game. It was ridicoulous.

Now that's one of my worst stories and I had a lot of fun umpiring, but my point is... parents and coaches both can be ridiculous. It's supposed to be fun and a learning environment. Don't forget that as a parent/coach.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 453
    Given: 238

Had a grandma ******** loudly about stuff in a Little League game- at the age group where they didn't even keep score.

Rookie
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by isufbcurt View Post

Going ape on the cop who was interviewing him probably didn't help his case.

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 376
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

had a parent take a swing at me while refereeing a soccer game. Luckily i have cat like reflexes.

9 year olds dude.

The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 20

Here's Mr. Catfish, if anyone was curious. I can't tell if that's a shadow or a mullet. I kind of hope it's a mullet.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Pro
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 571
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 138

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post

Here's Mr. Catfish, if anyone was curious. I can't tell if that's a shadow or a mullet. I kind of hope it's a mullet.
    Okay, now I understand the nickname.

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.