Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 45

Outside Agents for Mediacom?

Long story short, Mediacom jacked our rates up. We had originally gone through an outside agent that gave us a really good deal ($75 or so for cable/internet/on-demand/sports pack). Does anybody know of an outside agent for Mediacom and have any contact information? I'd like to be able to get it back with a good deal after I tell them to go fist themselves.

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 252
    Given: 107

Re: Outside Agents for Mediacom?

Call mediacom, tell them you are really thinking about switching to satellite and theyve offered you XXX deal (do some research on this to get a reasonable figure.. itll be their promotional deal so itll be lower most likely). Tell them that you're willing to consider staying if they can come close to that, otherwise, you'd like to cancel.

They will most likely transfer you into their retentions departnment where you can tell them the same story, and they should offer you a much lower rate on contract.

For best results, call during daytime hours when their retentions dept is up and running (dont believe they run overnight when calls get routed out of the country).

Pro
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 680
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I'm dumping Mediacom this week. Started at $19.95 /mo for internet. Been paying $61.95 / mo for the past 2 years.

They started charging me $5 rental fee for the cable modem I've had since 2005. Adios.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 55

I called them about the $5 cable modem rental fee a few nights ago. They took the charge off right away and said it wouldn't be on future statements (it's my cable modem).

My cable/internet bill with them is up just over $160 now. It's getting crazy. I like the service but it's way, way too expensive right now. I don't even have a freaking DVR! Just basic extended, one digital receiver, the Sports Pak and internet.

A friend of mine has been doing the whole "call in an ***** about the price and say that satellite provider X is offering such-and-such deal" about once a month for the past few months, and they won't budge. Mediacom really needs some competition here in the area.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 63

Isn't there a local cable mom and pop company based out of Stanhope or somewhere around there? God I wish they could crack a little bit of the Ames market.

Starter
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 1

I'd be Interested if Mediacom is Matching Satelite Pricing

I'd be interested if other have been able to negotiate with Mediacom over the last couple months. In February they jacked up my cable/internet rates as my promotional period ended. I researched options and found the combination of Qwest DSL & DirecTV was going to be about $50 less than Mediacom ($79 vs. $137) a month. I called mediacom expecting them to match the Qwest package and they did nothing. They were only interesting in discounting if I included mediacom phone which I don't need since I use a cell phone 100%.

My solution - I live in DSM and bought a $30 directional antenna- get great reception on the network stations, PBS and a couple others. Since it's not FB or college hoops season- I don't miss having 150 stations whether it's Mediacom or satellite.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 55

Re: I'd be Interested if Mediacom is Matching Satelite Pricing

Quote Originally Posted by isucy86 View Post
    My solution - I live in DSM and bought a $30 directional antenna- get great reception on the network stations, PBS and a couple others. Since it's not FB or college hoops season- I don't miss having 150 stations whether it's Mediacom or satellite.
    So....what's the solution with football and college hoops are back on?

Pro
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 680
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I've been able to negotiate package prices with DirecTV and XM Radio with no problems.

I've tried twice with Mediacom and their only suggestion is to downgrade to the 3 mbps package for $49.95. Their service isn't extraordinary and is relatively reliable until there is a problem. When I've had problems with them it's taken weeks to get a tech out. I'm just at the point that it's not worth paying $800 a year for it.

Addict
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 27

I would rather have Mediacom with the family pack, but I couldn't justify spending 115.00 per month total for that and internet. Basic cable and internet was at 85.00. It just didn't make sense to me to pay that much for what seemed to be extended antenna channels.

I just cancelled mediacom. I called during regular working hours, no retention offer given.

I switched to DishNetwork and Quest internet. My internet seems to be much faster which is the opposite of what I expected. I purchased my own modem from BestBuy at 40.00. The modem "rental fee" for Qwest if 5.00 a month. I did the math. Also, Qwest is sending me a 50.00 visa card. When talking with the rep at BestBuy, he told me had I set up Qwest through them they would have given me a 100.00 American Express card. Damnit!

"The difference between keeping what you have all to yourself and coveting what someone else has lies within your willingness to give versus your desire to take"

- temperflare

Speechless
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 252
    Given: 107

Qwest might make things more attractive for me to switch (though i think id miss the max speeds i can get from mediacom), but unfortunately i can't even get qwest, only crappy Hickory Tech dsl service. Last i checked i could only get 1mbps from them and it was as expensive as mediacom.

Addict
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 639
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 142
    Given: 37

Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    Call mediacom, tell them you are really thinking about switching to satellite and theyve offered you XXX deal (do some research on this to get a reasonable figure.. itll be their promotional deal so itll be lower most likely). Tell them that you're willing to consider staying if they can come close to that, otherwise, you'd like to cancel.

They will most likely transfer you into their retentions departnment where you can tell them the same story, and they should offer you a much lower rate on contract.

For best results, call during daytime hours when their retentions dept is up and running (dont believe they run overnight when calls get routed out of the country).
    I tried that a little over a year ago. The girl on the other end was like, o.k. you will be disconnected tomorrow. So i got directTV and it was one of the best decisions ever. Mediacom = sucks.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Broodwich View Post
    They started charging me $5 rental fee for the cable modem I've had since 2005. Adios.
    They tried doing the same thing to me last month. I've owned my own modem ever since I've been with Mediacom (8 or 9 years). Called them up and they took it off right away, and for some reason my bill is now a $2/month cheaper than it was before, which is fine with me. ;) What irks me the most about Mediacom is they constantly mess up our paperless billing discount, seems like I have to call about every 3 months and tell them that we are on electronic billing and to have that discount reapplied. We pay about $42/month for their 3 mbps service, had the faster service until about a year ago, switch and haven't noticed a speed difference at all.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    I called them about the $5 cable modem rental fee a few nights ago. They took the charge off right away and said it wouldn't be on future statements (it's my cable modem).

My cable/internet bill with them is up just over $160 now. It's getting crazy. I like the service but it's way, way too expensive right now. I don't even have a freaking DVR! Just basic extended, one digital receiver, the Sports Pak and internet.

A friend of mine has been doing the whole "call in an ***** about the price and say that satellite provider X is offering such-and-such deal" about once a month for the past few months, and they won't budge. Mediacom really needs some competition here in the area.
    Wow, my bill for home phone, directv with 4 dvrs and whole house viewing, plus local phone is only $150 a month.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 44

Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    I tried that a little over a year ago. The girl on the other end was like, o.k. you will be disconnected tomorrow. So i got directTV and it was one of the best decisions ever. Mediacom = sucks.
    Same story here only I went with DISH. I was with mediacom from 1994 up until 2005. I called them and told them either they were going to drop their charges or I was gone. The gal was a ***** on the phone. At the time it wouldn't have taken much to keep me with them since I was used to their product even though their service department had increasingly turned in to a big pile of suck the last couple yrs I was with them. Now I will never go back to Mediasuck.

Pro
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 52

Re: I'd be Interested if Mediacom is Matching Satelite Pricing

Quote Originally Posted by isucy86 View Post
    I'd be interested if other have been able to negotiate with Mediacom over the last couple months. In February they jacked up my cable/internet rates as my promotional period ended. I researched options and found the combination of Qwest DSL & DirecTV was going to be about $50 less than Mediacom ($79 vs. $137) a month. I called mediacom expecting them to match the Qwest package and they did nothing. They were only interesting in discounting if I included mediacom phone which I don't need since I use a cell phone 100%.

Can I ask where you found your antenna? I'm in the market.