Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

The job market

About 60% of recent graduates have not been able to find a full-time job in their chosen profession
    Link:
    The Great Recession's lost generation - May. 17, 2011

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein
    "If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." Paris Hilton
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 389
    Given: 127

Re: The job market

Hopefully the future will get better. Luckily I'm in school for another year, and it might be possible for the economy to get better in that amount of time, hopefully.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 677
    Given: 390

Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    And many that do find a job in their field will not receive the pay or benefits that they would have a few years ago... and in some fields, probably will not for the foreseeable future.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 471
    Given: 205

Does that include the number that have extended their leaving-school date by adding a major or going to grad school? Think i saw a figure that that number is way up. (and definitely saw it as i was graduating in 07, people saw nothing in the market and figured they might as well try to make themselves more marketable)

All-Star
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 430
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by CloneIce View Post
    And many that do find a job in their field will not receive the pay or benefits that they would have a few years ago... and in some fields, probably will not for the foreseeable future.
    This is the problem I have. I was fortunate to get a job where I can live by myself and have a new car (while paying for most of it and having a low monthly finance cost). I am an hourly worker, although I work as if I am salaried as far as hours worked, i am not constrained by time. However, IK am doing some things that are related to my field of studying which is great.

Prospect
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 430
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I graduated last year and Im struggling to find a decent job (or anything for that matter). I did get a job back in November that was not in my chosen field but was laid-off last month along with 150 other people because there was not enough demand for the product. Every job that I've interviewed for lately wants a min of 5 years experience and the pay is not nearly competitive (salary work but for hourly pay). It's definitely a hard market right now and I've been hearing the same from my fellow classmates...

Last edited by TKlone3; 05-17-2011 at 09:11 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by TKlone3 View Post
    I graduated last year and Im struggling to find a decent job (or anything for that matter). I did get a job back in November that was not in my chosen field but was laid-off last month along with 150 other people because there was not enough demand for the product. Every job that I've interviewed for lately wants a min of 5 years experience and the pay is not nearly competitive (salary work but for hourly pay). It's definitely a hard market right now and I've been hearing the same from my fellow classmates...
    This may or may not apply to you, but as an ISU alum, you can request a login for the ISU Career Services website. If you haven't been there before, it's basically just a listing of several job postings organized by major/degree. The good thing about the postings is that most of them apply to recent college grads, not the 5 yrs experienced people. I don't know how many listings there are for the various majors but I know engineering has a ton and new ones keep getting added. This might be a good place to start.

Addict
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 999
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118

Wink Re: The job market

I graduated cum laude and I still didn't find a job until three months after I graduated. Thankfully, I ended up with a good job in my field but I know a lot of people that aren't as lucky. It's just really frustrating to have companies come to campus and bend over backwards to promote themselves only to then say they aren't hiring.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 471
    Given: 205

Quote Originally Posted by Clonehomer View Post
    I graduated cum laude and I still didn't find a job until three months after I graduated. Thankfully, I ended up with a good job in my field but I know a lot of people that aren't as lucky. It's just really frustrating to have companies come to campus and bend over backwards to promote themselves only to then say they aren't hiring.
    Yeah, that was incredibly frustrating.

Its amazing how many recent grads i know working in retail and restaurant jobs. Yeah, theyre jobs, but certainly not worth the thousands upon thousands paid (plus the opportunity cost where they couldve been working the same job they got when they graduated for the 4 years they were in school) that was supposed to help get a better job.

Prospect
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dtclones View Post
    This may or may not apply to you, but as an ISU alum, you can request a login for the ISU Career Services website. If you haven't been there before, it's basically just a listing of several job postings organized by major/degree. The good thing about the postings is that most of them apply to recent college grads, not the 5 yrs experienced people. I don't know how many listings there are for the various majors but I know engineering has a ton and new ones keep getting added. This might be a good place to start.
    Yea I've been using CMS for a couple years and have also had meetings in the past with the career services department for the business program. Some still have postings that require a few yrs of experience required as well. With my field of study much of the funding has been cut dew to the down market so there is much less available it makes it even more competitive. Just wanted to point out that the job market has affected myself and classmates the same degree. Most have already accepted that it will be very tough to land a job in their field.

All-Star
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 533
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 7

My employer has been trying to fill .net/sql server developer positions and we've been having a really hard time finding people, and we pay well too. I'd say half the applicants are Indian/foreign born and struggle to communicate. We've lowered our requirements just so we can get intrviews going.

If you can program/develop software you are in very high demand. Experience is the most important factor in my opinion. I'd say half the people I've worked with didn't major in computer science.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by TKlone3 View Post
    Yea I've been using CMS for a couple years and have also had meetings in the past with the career services department for the business program. Some still have postings that require a few yrs of experience required as well. With my field of study much of the funding has been cut dew to the down market so there is much less available it makes it even more competitive. Just wanted to point out that the job market has affected myself and classmates the same degree. Most have already accepted that it will be very tough to land a job in their field.
    What kinds of jobs does someone with your major consider to be "in your field?"

I've always wondered what kind of qualifications, special knowledge, etc. a Marketing/Management degree gets a grad.

I'm going through something similar myself; I would like to come back to Central Iowa, and just cannot see what I could possibly do there.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 25

I just graduated from Iowa State and I can only think of a couple friends who don't have jobs lined up, and of those who don't have anything lined up, most of them don't because they're lazy and don't want to do any work to get a job.

Prospect
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

[QUOTE=Phaedrus;2252922]What kinds of jobs does someone with your major consider to be "in your field?"

I've always wondered what kind of qualifications, special knowledge, etc. a Marketing/Management degree gets a grad.

I doubled in both but my real focus was marketing. I just picked up the management to help me be more well rounded and hopefully more marketable. With marketing they always tell you about the 4 P's (product, price, place, promotion). Basically the jobs would be for developing a product that people want, place the product at the most cost effective price, find the best target market and location for the product, develop an advertising/promotion plan to get the product noticed and to generate buzz for more profit share.

People with this degree can go into many field I guess. I wanted to go in to the advertising field with an Ad agency or a marketing firm that works with many clients/companies. Another interest would be demand forecasting or media buying. People can go into sales also which there is still high demand for but most are only commission pay. A lot of people still would like a guaranteed base salary with it but it is sometimes hard to come by.

Their is a lot of different areas a person can go into with marketing but it just depends on which area they are more interested in. But with the down market a lot of the funding for advertising, packaging, etc. has been cut so it makes less of a demand for us right now.

Pro
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 902
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 79

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    I just graduated from Iowa State and I can only think of a couple friends who don't have jobs lined up, and of those who don't have anything lined up, most of them don't because they're lazy and don't want to do any work to get a job.
    I assume since your background in Accounting/Finance, most of them work in public accounting ?