Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 116,199, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    madcityCY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    5,888
    Points
    116,199
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 173
    Given: 333

    Hoiberg recruits

    McGee, Sledge, Niang. If I'm not mistaken, Hoiberg has taken the lead on these players (with some help obviously), and at one time or another, went on record to say he "really wanted them.". Well, he got them.

    Kudos to him. I imagine in the back of most minds (including mine) that when he began the pursuit of McGee, I wasn't sure about a JUCO. That was before the season that McGee put up fantastic numbers, showing great improvement on his outside shot. This attracted the first team JUCO all-American award.

    Next up was Sledge. Why pursue such a diminuitive guard? Well, I think we see after his SR. year why... 41 pts in a game is why.

    Most recently, this Niang fellow... George... with an "s". I believe I remember more than a few skeptical posters (after reading no more than the ESPN scouting report) that this would be a "waste of a scholarship". Then, he absolutely blew up - showed improvement in his handle and outside shooting. Now lots of high-majors sniff around, but the relationship is solid- says "he would have chosen ISU no matter who offered - why wait..."

    My point here is: in all cases, CFH arrived early to the party, and made it well known he wanted these guys. Hoiberg still has his biggest test ahead of him: coaching talent + ego. but, he has definitely already shown he can recruit. Next up: Okoro.



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 43,571, Level: 64
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 679
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Psiclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Corvallis, OR
    Posts
    2,312
    Points
    43,571
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 368
    Given: 458

    Re: Hoiberg recruits

    Quote Originally Posted by madcityCY View Post
    McGee, Sledge, Niang. If I'm not mistaken, Hoiberg has taken the lead on these players (with some help obviously), and at one time or another, went on record to say he "really wanted them.". Well, he got them.

    Kudos to him. I imagine in the back of most minds (including mine) that when he began the pursuit of McGee, I wasn't sure about a JUCO. That was before the season that McGee put up fantastic numbers, showing great improvement on his outside shot. This attracted the first team JUCO all-American award.

    Next up was Sledge. Why pursue such a diminuitive guard? Well, I think we see after his SR. year why... 41 pts in a game is why.

    Most recently, this Niang fellow... George... with an "s". I believe I remember more than a few skeptical posters (after reading no more than the ESPN scouting report) that this would be a "waste of a scholarship". Then, he absolutely blew up - showed improvement in his handle and outside shooting. Now lots of high-majors sniff around, but the relationship is solid- says "he would have chosen ISU no matter who offered - why wait..."

    My point here is: in all cases, CFH arrived early to the party, and made it well known he wanted these guys. Hoiberg still has his biggest test ahead of him: coaching talent + ego. but, he has definitely already shown he can recruit. Next up: Okoro.

    Good points. Your analysis also points out the value of NBA experience in being able to spot talent for his style of play ahead of everyone else.


    "Of course the people don't want war ... the people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger."
    -- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 55,350, Level: 72
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    enisthemenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Runnells, IA
    Posts
    4,809
    Points
    55,350
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 554
    Given: 568

    Re: Hoiberg recruits

    Quote Originally Posted by Psiclone View Post
    Good points. Your analysis also points out the value of NBA experience in being able to spot talent for his style of play ahead of everyone else.
    Not a single one has played in the Big XII. These kids may be exactly what Coach wants, but let's 'look before we leap', eh?



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 787,910, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    53,977
    Points
    787,910
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,586
    Given: 2,499

    Re: Hoiberg recruits

    Quote Originally Posted by enisthemenace View Post
    Not a single one has played in the Big XII. These kids may be exactly what Coach wants, but let's 'look before we leap', eh?
    No thanks




  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 225,906, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MLawrence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,403
    Points
    225,906
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 790
    Given: 223

    Re: Hoiberg recruits

    Quote Originally Posted by madcityCY
    McGee, Sledge, Niang. If I'm not mistaken, Hoiberg has taken the lead on these players (with some help obviously), and at one time or another, went on record to say he "really wanted them.". Well, he got them.
    The sentiment is nice, but do you really think that a coach is going to say, "You know what... he wasn't really the guy we were looking for but he is close enough to what we want... I guess."



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 116,199, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    madcityCY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    5,888
    Points
    116,199
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 173
    Given: 333

    Re: Hoiberg recruits

    Quote Originally Posted by enisthemenace View Post
    Not a single one has played in the Big XII. These kids may be exactly what Coach wants, but let's 'look before we leap', eh?
    I know some folks need to be to be protected from the hype. I'm not one of them. Hoiberg will undoubtedly recruit some "busts," (every program does) and it could even be one of these guys. My point was the pattern of arriving to see before they blow up, before other programs.



  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 55,350, Level: 72
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    enisthemenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Runnells, IA
    Posts
    4,809
    Points
    55,350
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 554
    Given: 568

    Re: Hoiberg recruits

    Quote Originally Posted by madcityCY View Post
    I know some folks need to be to be protected from the hype. I'm not one of them. Hoiberg will undoubtedly recruit some "busts," (every program does) and it could even be one of these guys. My point was the pattern of arriving to see before they blow up, before other programs.
    Yeah, I know, but are you going to be one of the first to freak when (and I am not hinting at anything) they all are 'busts' or just "meh"?

    The previous staff was great at identifying talent early too.



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 44,281, Level: 65
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,269
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Subs
    Posts
    1,555
    Points
    44,281
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 2

    Re: Hoiberg recruits

    Quote Originally Posted by madcityCY View Post
    McGee, Sledge, Niang. If I'm not mistaken, Hoiberg has taken the lead on these players (with some help obviously), and at one time or another, went on record to say he "really wanted them.". Well, he got them.

    Kudos to him. I imagine in the back of most minds (including mine) that when he began the pursuit of McGee, I wasn't sure about a JUCO. That was before the season that McGee put up fantastic numbers, showing great improvement on his outside shot. This attracted the first team JUCO all-American award.

    Next up was Sledge. Why pursue such a diminuitive guard? Well, I think we see after his SR. year why... 41 pts in a game is why.

    Most recently, this Niang fellow... George... with an "s". I believe I remember more than a few skeptical posters (after reading no more than the ESPN scouting report) that this would be a "waste of a scholarship". Then, he absolutely blew up - showed improvement in his handle and outside shooting. Now lots of high-majors sniff around, but the relationship is solid- says "he would have chosen ISU no matter who offered - why wait..."

    My point here is: in all cases, CFH arrived early to the party, and made it well known he wanted these guys. Hoiberg still has his biggest test ahead of him: coaching talent + ego. but, he has definitely already shown he can recruit. Next up: Okoro.

    I thought the OP did a nice job summarizing his thoughts and position. No matter what, you will have cynics shoot down a post regardless of intent.

    Nice job

    Z


    The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 55,623, Level: 73
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,427
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Yes13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,321
    Points
    55,623
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 20

    Re: Hoiberg recruits

    Quote Originally Posted by MLawrence View Post
    The sentiment is nice, but do you really think that a coach is going to say, "You know what... he wasn't really the guy we were looking for but he is close enough to what we want... I guess."
    It's been pretty clear that Hoiberg went right after McGee and Niang hard.



  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 43,571, Level: 64
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 679
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Psiclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Corvallis, OR
    Posts
    2,312
    Points
    43,571
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 368
    Given: 458

    Re: Hoiberg recruits

    Quote Originally Posted by madcityCY View Post
    I know some folks need to be to be protected from the hype. I'm not one of them. Hoiberg will undoubtedly recruit some "busts," (every program does) and it could even be one of these guys. My point was the pattern of arriving to see before they blow up, before other programs.
    That is exactly how I took your post and the point I was making as well.


    "Of course the people don't want war ... the people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger."
    -- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 110,143, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acgclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    8,300
    Points
    110,143
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,148
    Given: 226

    Re: Hoiberg recruits

    Quote Originally Posted by enisthemenace View Post

    The previous staff was great at identifying talent early too.
    They're problem was hanging onto them. Fred won't have that problem, as it seems players love playing for him. Obviously you'll have players like Godfrey that leave because they had to or guys that move on for playing time, but you won't have the discretionary transfers from our top players because they don't like Fred or his style.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 116,199, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    madcityCY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    5,888
    Points
    116,199
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 173
    Given: 333

    Re: Hoiberg recruits

    Quote Originally Posted by enisthemenace View Post
    Yeah, I know, but are you going to be one of the first to freak when (and I am not hinting at anything) they all are 'busts' or just "meh"?

    The previous staff was great at identifying talent early too.
    No, I won't. I'm not a person that freaks out much. I tried to tell you that in my previous response.



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 232,032, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    19,030
    Points
    232,032
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,450
    Given: 982

    Re: Hoiberg recruits

    Quote Originally Posted by madcityCY View Post
    I know some folks need to be to be protected from the hype. I'm not one of them. Hoiberg will undoubtedly recruit some "busts," (every program does) and it could even be one of these guys. My point was the pattern of arriving to see before they blow up, before other programs.
    Great point, and you are spot on in your analysis. He has started recruiting all these guys before they blew up and had huge years... especially Niang and the Mcgee (Sledge was already pretty strongly recruited). Niang blew up after we offered him and was just going to continue to if he hadn't committed. Mcgee had a huge, huge SR year.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 99,395, Level: 98
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,655
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Frak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,946
    Points
    99,395
    Level
    98
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 272
    Given: 153

    Re: Hoiberg recruits

    Hype or not, bust or not, it is a good thing to see FH get the players he really wants. That beats the alternative.



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 62,196, Level: 77
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,054
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cy4prez7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,776
    Points
    62,196
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 99

    Re: Hoiberg recruits

    Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    Hype or not, bust or not, it is a good thing to see FH get the players he really wants. That beats the alternative.
    +1


    KCCO



    Follow me on Twitter: @mjballman20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.TV
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • September 5, 2015
  • 07:00 PM