Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 121

Hoiberg recruits

McGee, Sledge, Niang. If I'm not mistaken, Hoiberg has taken the lead on these players (with some help obviously), and at one time or another, went on record to say he "really wanted them.". Well, he got them.

Kudos to him. I imagine in the back of most minds (including mine) that when he began the pursuit of McGee, I wasn't sure about a JUCO. That was before the season that McGee put up fantastic numbers, showing great improvement on his outside shot. This attracted the first team JUCO all-American award.

Next up was Sledge. Why pursue such a diminuitive guard? Well, I think we see after his SR. year why... 41 pts in a game is why.

Most recently, this Niang fellow... George... with an "s". I believe I remember more than a few skeptical posters (after reading no more than the ESPN scouting report) that this would be a "waste of a scholarship". Then, he absolutely blew up - showed improvement in his handle and outside shooting. Now lots of high-majors sniff around, but the relationship is solid- says "he would have chosen ISU no matter who offered - why wait..."

My point here is: in all cases, CFH arrived early to the party, and made it well known he wanted these guys. Hoiberg still has his biggest test ahead of him: coaching talent + ego. but, he has definitely already shown he can recruit. Next up: Okoro.

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 471
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 80

Re: Hoiberg recruits

Quote Originally Posted by madcityCY View Post
    McGee, Sledge, Niang. If I'm not mistaken, Hoiberg has taken the lead on these players (with some help obviously), and at one time or another, went on record to say he "really wanted them.". Well, he got them.

Kudos to him. I imagine in the back of most minds (including mine) that when he began the pursuit of McGee, I wasn't sure about a JUCO. That was before the season that McGee put up fantastic numbers, showing great improvement on his outside shot. This attracted the first team JUCO all-American award.

Next up was Sledge. Why pursue such a diminuitive guard? Well, I think we see after his SR. year why... 41 pts in a game is why.

Most recently, this Niang fellow... George... with an "s". I believe I remember more than a few skeptical posters (after reading no more than the ESPN scouting report) that this would be a "waste of a scholarship". Then, he absolutely blew up - showed improvement in his handle and outside shooting. Now lots of high-majors sniff around, but the relationship is solid- says "he would have chosen ISU no matter who offered - why wait..."

My point here is: in all cases, CFH arrived early to the party, and made it well known he wanted these guys. Hoiberg still has his biggest test ahead of him: coaching talent + ego. but, he has definitely already shown he can recruit. Next up: Okoro.

Good points. Your analysis also points out the value of NBA experience in being able to spot talent for his style of play ahead of everyone else.

"Of course the people don't want war ... the people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger."
    -- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

Pro
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,066
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 71

Quote Originally Posted by Psiclone View Post
    Good points. Your analysis also points out the value of NBA experience in being able to spot talent for his style of play ahead of everyone else.
    Not a single one has played in the Big XII. These kids may be exactly what Coach wants, but let's 'look before we leap', eh?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,071
    Given: 571

Quote Originally Posted by enisthemenace View Post
    Not a single one has played in the Big XII. These kids may be exactly what Coach wants, but let's 'look before we leap', eh?
    No thanks

Addict
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 228
    Given: 89

Quote Originally Posted by madcityCY
    The sentiment is nice, but do you really think that a coach is going to say, "You know what... he wasn't really the guy we were looking for but he is close enough to what we want... I guess."

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I know some folks need to be to be protected from the hype. I'm not one of them. Hoiberg will undoubtedly recruit some "busts," (every program does) and it could even be one of these guys. My point was the pattern of arriving to see before they blow up, before other programs.

Pro
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,066
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 71

I know some folks need to be to be protected from the hype. I'm not one of them. Hoiberg will undoubtedly recruit some "busts," (every program does) and it could even be one of these guys. My point was the pattern of arriving to see before they blow up, before other programs.
    Yeah, I know, but are you going to be one of the first to freak when (and I am not hinting at anything) they all are 'busts' or just "meh"?

The previous staff was great at identifying talent early too.

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,295
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

I thought the OP did a nice job summarizing his thoughts and position. No matter what, you will have cynics shoot down a post regardless of intent.

Nice job

Z

The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

Pro
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by MLawrence View Post
    The sentiment is nice, but do you really think that a coach is going to say, "You know what... he wasn't really the guy we were looking for but he is close enough to what we want... I guess."
    It's been pretty clear that Hoiberg went right after McGee and Niang hard.

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 471
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 80

That is exactly how I took your post and the point I was making as well.

"Of course the people don't want war ... the people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger."
    -- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

Addict
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,163
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 243
    Given: 38

They're problem was hanging onto them. Fred won't have that problem, as it seems players love playing for him. Obviously you'll have players like Godfrey that leave because they had to or guys that move on for playing time, but you won't have the discretionary transfers from our top players because they don't like Fred or his style.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yeah, I know, but are you going to be one of the first to freak when (and I am not hinting at anything) they all are 'busts' or just "meh"?

No, I won't. I'm not a person that freaks out much. I tried to tell you that in my previous response.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 418
    Given: 212

Great point, and you are spot on in your analysis. He has started recruiting all these guys before they blew up and had huge years... especially Niang and the Mcgee (Sledge was already pretty strongly recruited). Niang blew up after we offered him and was just going to continue to if he hadn't committed. Mcgee had a huge, huge SR year.

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 417
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 29

Hype or not, bust or not, it is a good thing to see FH get the players he really wants. That beats the alternative.

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 895
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    Hype or not, bust or not, it is a good thing to see FH get the players he really wants. That beats the alternative.
    +1

KCCO

Follow me on Twitter: @datBASS3
    Follow Iowa State Drumline on Twitter: @ISUDrumline or on FB