Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Walk On
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Jacobson "wouldn't" leave U.N.I

These quotes from Ben Jacobson about how he decided to turn down the Texas A&M job ahead of time if they decided to hire him may be some of the most arrogant and stupidest crap ever. He comes out the day they hire a new coach, after taking meetings with them himself and says " I wouldn't have taken the job even if it was offered." Pure Lie. He took the meeting because he could make twice as much at T A&M, but when he heard they hired someone else and "changes his mind".

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 114

Re: Jacobson "wouldn't" leave U.N.I

We really dont know when he had the meeting with A&M or what was talked about. He is stupid not to listen. Its coach talk anyway. I for one is glad he stayed, UNI has treated Iowa kids well that dont fit at ISU.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 314
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 23

He took interviews in hopes of UNI offering him more money....

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 323
    Given: 133

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    We really dont know when he had the meeting with A&M.
    Well... we do know when the meeting happened,TAMU had flight trackers tracking when the TAMU plane got to where he was and when it left.

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 492
    Given: 230

I'm not as aggressive with my opinion, but I also doubt he would've turned it down if offered. I guess there is a chance he didn't want to do the Texas thing and stay in the midwest but that is a longshot IMO. I was surprised when it was being marketed all over the radio as Jacobson turning down the offer. I think they just offered the guy from Murray State instead. We probably won't ever know.

Nothing wrong with it if he did leave. He made UNI what it was along with GMAC. He is going somewhere eventually.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 314
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    We really dont know when he had the meeting with A&M or what was talked about. He is stupid not to listen. Its coach talk anyway. I for one is glad he stayed, UNI has treated Iowa kids well that dont fit at ISU.
    ...and are too athletic/ talented to play at Iowa.

Legend
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 565
    Given: 267

Quote Originally Posted by Haverhill View Post
    I think he wanted more money for his assistants, than he did himself. (like Kyle Green)

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 832
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Haverhill View Post

Actually, he got more money for his assistant coaches immediately.

The lead assistant (Green) had recently interviewed at a small Wisconsin school, and I think Jake hopes that with a payraise, all of his coaches will stay for at least the next couple of years.

As far as the op. Jake was strongly considered for the A & M job, no question. He also was interested in the job because he contacted Dannen the AD at UNI, and told him that he wanted the interview.

I think that Kennedy's experience at A & M, and the fact that he has a more of a coaching resume than Jake does in terms of being at more places, was the reason they selected him over Jake.

He wasn't going to be the choice. Like all coaches who don't get jobs that he interviewed for, he was given the opportunity to "save face," and take his name out of consideration before Kennedy was introduced.

Jake has his own program to think about here. And the appearance that he is looking at moving on hurts his recruiting, and the perception that his 10 year contract really means anything.

A & M is a good job. But people forget that 8 years ago they went 0-fer in the conference. Billy Clyde changed the culture, and Turgeon is a hell of a coach. Kennedy has an impressive resume, and lots of recruiting contacts, including in Texas, that is why he was the choice over Jake.

Walk On
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonedave25 View Post
    I think he wanted more money for his assistants, than he did himself. (like Kyle Green)
    He wanted to go to T A&M and make 900,000 to 1 mill. a year. He would have left in a minute, but they didn't offer him the job. Now he's doing damage control (lying).

Legend
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 565
    Given: 267

Quote Originally Posted by cyspike View Post
    He wanted to go to T A&M and make 900,000 to 1 mill. a year. He would have left in a minute, but they didn't offer him the job. Now he's doing damage control (lying).
    I never said he didn't want to go to A&M to make more money.
    I was referring to a poster saying he did it so he could get a raise from UNI, but he initially wanted more money from UNI for his assistants, for reasons mikem said.

I think he knows UNI can't afford to give him much more money than he's already making.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Of course he is doing damage control. But you are going way too far.

Every coach who has ever looked at another job, has to do damage control. They have a program of their own to think about. He will be coaching in CF next year, and he has a great recruiting class coming in. He needs to be able to recruit for the following year too. If people think that he is inclined to leave, that hurts him on the recruiting trail. That will stop any momentum that he has built over the past 5 years.

I get that all of the unihawks make it tough to root for uni. But this is sop in college coaching.

There will come a day when Jake will leave UNI. A & M didn't select him, and force him to make the decision yet. There will be more opportunities for him, he is a hell of a coach.

Walk On
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonedave25 View Post
    I never said he didn't want to go to A&M to make more money.
    I was referring to a poster saying he did it so he could get a raise from UNI, but he initially wanted more money from UNI for his assistants, for reasons mikem said.

I think he knows UNI can't afford to give him much more money than he's already making.
    I just don't like the fact that he interviews with them. Then the next day when they hire someone else he says. I wouldn't have taken the job,even for 1 mill. a year. I promise. Pure lies.

Walk On
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mikem View Post
    Of course he is doing damage control. But you are going way too far.

Every coach who has ever looked at another job, has to do damage control. They have a program of their own to think about. He will be coaching in CF next year, and he has a great recruiting class coming in. He needs to be able to recruit for the following year too. If people think that he is inclined to leave, that hurts him on the recruiting trail. That will stop any momentum that he has built over the past 5 years.

I get that all of the unihawks make it tough to root for uni. But this is sop in college coaching.

There will come a day when Jake will leave UNI. A & M didn't select him, and force him to make the decision yet. There will be more opportunities for him, he is a hell of a coach.
    Do you think he lied when he said he wouldn't take the T A&M job? Be honest.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Do you think he lied when he said he wouldn't take the T A&M job? Be honest.

Honestly, the fact that he told Dannen that he wanted to take the interview says that he knows A & M is a good job. Jake hasn't listened to a lot of inquiries the last three years, so that should tell you something.

He was obviously willing to listen to what they had to say, and nobody does that unless they would seriously consider moving on.

I agreed with you, he wasn't offered the job. Kennedy was their first interview, which usually indicates first choice.

But Jake has proven that he is an excellent coach, and he was a candidate that the people at A & M identified early in their search as well.

I think if Jake would have been offered the job, at the right money, he would have gone.

Next up, wait for Tubby to leave Minnesota, or Bo Ryan to retire. And it will take a lesser deal than it would have for him to take the Aggie job to get him to jump.

Walk On
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mikem View Post
    Honestly, the fact that he told Dannen that he wanted to take the interview says that he knows A & M is a good job. Jake hasn't listened to a lot of inquiries the last three years, so that should tell you something.

He was obviously willing to listen to what they had to say, and nobody does that unless they would seriously consider moving on.

I agreed with you, he wasn't offered the job. Kennedy was their first interview, which usually indicates first choice.

But Jake has proven that he is an excellent coach, and he was a candidate that the people at A & M identified early in their search as well.

I think if Jake would have been offered the job, at the right money, he would have gone.

Next up, wait for Tubby to leave Minnesota, or Bo Ryan to retire. And it will take a lesser deal than it would have for him to take the Aggie job to get him to jump.
    He's a great coach. I agree. But my question was. Did he lie? You never answered.