The Lake That Won't Stop Rising
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Speechless
    Points: 407,969, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    61,068
    Points
    407,969
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 874
    Given: 607

    The Lake That Won't Stop Rising

    Where the Roads End in Water: The Lake That Won't Stop Rising - Lisa M. Hamilton - Life - The Atlantic


    The problem is that it has not stopped. Unlike with a river flood, this water does not naturally recede after a week or a month. It has nowhere to go: The lakebed is the result of a glacier that melted roughly 10,000 years ago, and its only natural outlet is at 1,458 feet above sea level. Since August 1992, the lake has risen more than 29 feet. That would be a remarkable increase in nearly any body of water, but in the context of North Dakota's famously flat topography it is extraordinary; here, the rising lake spreads across the land like water spilled on a table. At the lake's current size, a one-foot rise consumes more than 15,000 acres of surrounding land. In 19 years it has grown from roughly 69 square miles to 285, an area about the size of Fort Worth, Texas.



    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 734,626, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    48,988
    Points
    734,626
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,145
    Given: 1,023

    Re: The Lake That Won't Stop Rising

    You'd think they could channel it in some way....perhaps dig out a large man-made lake in an area that is the least useful?



  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 39,172, Level: 61
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,178
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    tman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,060
    Points
    39,172
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 30

    Re: The Lake That Won't Stop Rising

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    You'd think they could channel it in some way....perhaps dig out a large man-made lake in an area that is the least useful?
    Channel it over to the Colorado River. They need the water pretty badly.


    Hooray for Metaphors!

  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 60,191, Level: 76
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,459
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyCloned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Robins, Iowa
    Posts
    5,084
    Points
    60,191
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 305
    Given: 137

    Re: The Lake That Won't Stop Rising

    I would think that since they are only 8 feet from the outlet the easy thing would be to get out a shovel and dig a trench. at least you could stop it from getting worse, and then they would have a river to fish in too.



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 101,661, Level: 99
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,389
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Senolcyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,205
    Points
    101,661
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 25

    Re: The Lake That Won't Stop Rising

    Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    I would think that since they are only 8 feet from the outlet the easy thing would be to get out a shovel and dig a trench. at least you could stop it from getting worse, and then they would have a river to fish in too.


    Civil engineering is alive and well at Iowa State.



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 336,644, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    bawbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    19,435
    Points
    336,644
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,160
    Given: 2,025

    Re: The Lake That Won't Stop Rising

    Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    I would think that since they are only 8 feet from the outlet the easy thing would be to get out a shovel and dig a trench. at least you could stop it from getting worse, and then they would have a river to fish in too.
    Since the lake has no outlet, the water has a high levels of salinity and sulfates, which the people down stream on the Sheyenne and Red Rivers don't want, particularly Fargo (because of their drinking water system) and Canada.



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 217,502, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    17,508
    Points
    217,502
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 903
    Given: 551

    Re: The Lake That Won't Stop Rising

    Quote Originally Posted by tman24 View Post
    Channel it over to the Colorado River. They need the water pretty badly.
    That would be one hellacious infrastructure project. Creating a new river from ND to the Colorado would be impressive, both in scope and cost.

    Eventually (probably long after we are dead) there will be water transmission lines connecting various areas in the country, to supply water to areas like the SW and SE that have water shortages, possibly from areas like the Midwest (which has a vast MO River acquifer). Regions of the country that have water shortages now will recquire alot of supplemental water 100 years from now, especially if population continues to increase as projected.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 495,751, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    33,381
    Points
    495,751
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,330
    Given: 931

    Re: The Lake That Won't Stop Rising

    Quote Originally Posted by tman24 View Post
    Channel it over to the Colorado River. They need the water pretty badly.
    Quote Originally Posted by CloneIce View Post
    That would be one hellacious infrastructure project. Creating a new river from ND to the Colorado would be impressive, both in scope and cost.

    Eventually (probably long after we are dead) there will be water transmission lines connecting various areas in the country, to supply water to areas like the SW and SE that have water shortages, possibly from areas like the Midwest (which has a vast MO River acquifer). Regions of the country that have water shortages now will recquire alot of supplemental water 100 years from now, especially if population continues to increase as projected.
    More of a hellacious infrastructure project than you realize. This lake is east of the Rocky Mountains, and the Colorado River is west of it. Essentially, you would be making this one lake be the one and only water source in North America that violates the Continental Divide. Not to mention it having to cross the Missouri River (and countless other rivers) at some point. Los Angeles might need the water, but cost wise it just probably isn't worth it.

    Quote Originally Posted by bawbie View Post
    Since the lake has no outlet, the water has a high levels of salinity and sulfates, which the people down stream on the Sheyenne and Red Rivers don't want, particularly Fargo (because of their drinking water system) and Canada.
    If the levels of salinity and sulfates is a problem because the lake has no outlet, wouldn't this only be a problem initially? I mean, you're creating an outlet for that lake, once you get the "crap" water out of that lake (however long that takes), wouldn't it then become a fresh water source?


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.


  9. #9
    Starter
    Points: 17,799, Level: 40
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 251
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    CyPlainsDrifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    942
    Points
    17,799
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 18

    Re: The Lake That Won't Stop Rising

    Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    I would think that since they are only 8 feet from the outlet the easy thing would be to get out a shovel and dig a trench. at least you could stop it from getting worse, and then they would have a river to fish in too.
    I think you have a conceptual error....



  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 53,513, Level: 71
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 537
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,887
    Points
    53,513
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 194
    Given: 337

    Re: The Lake That Won't Stop Rising

    Going there to fish in a month, been there before. It's pretty weird fishing around old farms and equipment swallowed up by the water. There are some political issues with the river outlet, especially with Canada not wanting some of the fish species. In a few years they won't have a choice.



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 81,699, Level: 88
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 251
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    FarminCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Right Over There
    Posts
    2,892
    Points
    81,699
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 397
    Given: 105

    Re: The Lake That Won't Stop Rising

    There are lots of places in the Dakotas that this is happening. Lots of pothole lakes with no outlets that keep growing.

    IIRC hwy 12 around Waubay SD has been raised three or four times.

    Devils lake is by far the biggest so it gets the most pub but this is happening all over North and South Dakota, they don't call it the prairie pot hole region for nothing.

    I was watching an episode of Midwest Outdoors this winter that was ice fishing on Devils Lake (as I am an avid ice fisherman and want to take a trip on the perch express up there sometime) and the guides were saying it is getting difficult to find fish from year in and year out as depth changes on their key spots every year or two and they have to go out and basically find new break points etc to match their old hot spots that are now to deep to be effective.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 60,191, Level: 76
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,459
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyCloned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Robins, Iowa
    Posts
    5,084
    Points
    60,191
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 305
    Given: 137

    Re: The Lake That Won't Stop Rising

    Quote Originally Posted by FarminCy View Post
    There are lots of places in the Dakotas that this is happening. Lots of pothole lakes with no outlets that keep growing.

    IIRC hwy 12 around Waubay SD has been raised three or four times.

    Devils lake is by far the biggest so it gets the most pub but this is happening all over North and South Dakota, they don't call it the prairie pot hole region for nothing.

    I was watching an episode of Midwest Outdoors this winter that was ice fishing on Devils Lake (as I am an avid ice fisherman and want to take a trip on the perch express up there sometime) and the guides were saying it is getting difficult to find fish from year in and year out as depth changes on their key spots every year or two and they have to go out and basically find new break points etc to match their old hot spots that are now to deep to be effective.
    This is what my brother saw up there 4 years ago while doing some work along a pipeline. The pipeline was basically piling rock on thier pumping locations and replumbing to make thing reach. A lot of there locations looked like gravel islands.

    Oh by the way, for everyone that thought I was serious about solving this problem with a shovel, , I thought it was obvious.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Mediacom 22
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Drake
  • December 20, 2014
  • 04:00 PM