Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: New Computer

  1. #1
    Walk On
    Points: 7,883, Level: 26
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ist8er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Wichita
    Posts
    206
    Points
    7,883
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    New Computer

    I have a Dell that's going on 3 years old and it works great, but the battery died and I have to keep it plugged in all the time now. I think the computer itself will last a little while yet, but I might start doing a little computer shopping now to get a head start. Are there any computer recommendations out there? I've also considered just replacing the battery on my computer, but who knows how long my computer would last after doing that.

    Anyways, I'm just looking for some suggestions on what computers are a good deal and would last a while. I basically just use my computer for surfing the internet, a few games here and there, and basic MS Office stuff.

    A Mac would be cool, but I don't know if I want to spend the money. Are they worth it? Thanks in advance.



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 177,274, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Rhoadhoused's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,899
    Points
    177,274
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 133

    Re: New Computer

    I would avoid a Mac. Not that the Mac you buy won't work well and be cool, but Apple sells the EXACT SAME THINGS for about twice the money or even more. They aren't a better version or refined or made with better materials. Dell will sell a hard drive for say $300 and the same hard drive in a Mac will be sold for $700. It doesn't make it a bad hard drive, but you could have a hard drive that is twice as good for the same price Apple sells its basic hard drive.

    Check out this



    Last edited by Rhoadhoused; 05-15-2011 at 11:28 AM.

  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 447,527, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    brianhos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Trenchtown
    Posts
    39,322
    Points
    447,527
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 9

    Re: New Computer

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhoadhoused View Post
    I would avoid a Mac. Not that the Mac you buy won't work well and be cool, but Apple sells the EXACT SAME THINGS for about twice the money or even more. They aren't a better version or refined or made with better materials. Dell will sell a hard drive for say $300 and the same hard drive in a Mac will be sold for $700. It doesn't make it a bad hard drive, but you could have a hard drive that is twice as good for the same price Apple sells its basic hard drive.
    Actually a Mac is not twice the price, more like 10%.

    Go to slickdeals and see what the dell coupons they have are. Just watch it for a few days and someone will post a double or triple coupon deal at dell.com.


    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 97,128, Level: 97
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,922
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    everyyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    5,853
    Points
    97,128
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 13

    Re: New Computer

    recommend Mac. worth the difference. but first I might just replace the battery.


    ALL IN
    www.cyclonejerseys.com
    Always buying historically relevant ISU gear

  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 426,258, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,648
    Points
    426,258
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 1

    Re: New Computer

    Quote Originally Posted by ist8er View Post
    I basically just use my computer for surfing the internet, a few games here and there, and basic MS Office stuff.

    A Mac would be cool, but I don't know if I want to spend the money. Are they worth it? Thanks in advance.
    For what you do on it, no, a Mac wouldn't be worth it. A baseline laptop ($350-$450) would do everything you need it to do.



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 17,285, Level: 40
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 765
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,279
    Points
    17,285
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: New Computer

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhoadhoused View Post
    I would avoid a Mac. Not that the Mac you buy won't work well and be cool, but Apple sells the EXACT SAME THINGS for about twice the money or even more. They aren't a better version or refined or made with better materials. Dell will sell a hard drive for say $300 and the same hard drive in a Mac will be sold for $700. It doesn't make it a bad hard drive, but you could have a hard drive that is twice as good for the same price Apple sells its basic hard drive.

    Check out this
    Yeah, I don't know where this dude got the cost figures for that Mac, but I never paid half as much as his beginning figure for my Intel-based iMac. And my computer is not obsolete, even after 5 years. Apple periodically updates most everything on my computer for free. the only thing out of date is my operating system and every computer you buy, you have to buy a new operating system periodically.


    Last edited by Bipolarcy; 05-15-2011 at 11:52 AM.

  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 126,336, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    tim_redd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    7,297
    Points
    126,336
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 24

    Re: New Computer

    Just go on ebay and get a replacement battery for like $40.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 555,015, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    ISUAgronomist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Back in Iowa!!!!!!!!
    Posts
    21,212
    Points
    555,015
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 38

    Re: New Computer

    Quote Originally Posted by tim_redd View Post
    Just go on ebay and get a replacement battery for like $40.
    This. If it is working fine post the model of your laptop and someone will find a quality battery for you.




  9. #9
    Legend
    Points: 198,790, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    dmclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    12,926
    Points
    198,790
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 105

    Re: New Computer

    Are you talking about a laptop or a desktop. The cheapest Appple macbook is $1K right? Now go and compare it's specs to a Dell.



  10. #10
    Walk On
    Points: 7,883, Level: 26
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ist8er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Wichita
    Posts
    206
    Points
    7,883
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: New Computer

    Yea, the more I think about it, the more I would rather just get a new battery for it and hope it lasts a while yet. It's a Dell XPS M1530. I think I found a battery for it on dell.com. Looks like they range in price from 135-250. I'll check on eBay next.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 126,336, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    tim_redd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    7,297
    Points
    126,336
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 24

    Re: New Computer

    I have the exact same computer, and my original battery died.

    9 CELL! Battery For Dell XPS M1530 RU006 RU033 TK330 | eBay

    I bought that 9 cell battery in 2009 and it's worked great for me. There are also 6 cell batteries if you want to maintain the slimness.



  12. #12
    Walk On
    Points: 7,883, Level: 26
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ist8er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Wichita
    Posts
    206
    Points
    7,883
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: New Computer

    Quote Originally Posted by tim_redd View Post
    I have the exact same computer, and my original battery died.

    9 CELL! Battery For Dell XPS M1530 RU006 RU033 TK330 | eBay

    I bought that 9 cell battery in 2009 and it's worked great for me. There are also 6 cell batteries if you want to maintain the slimness.
    Good deal. I think that's what I'm going to do.



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 40,805, Level: 62
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,641
    Points
    40,805
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: New Computer

    Quote Originally Posted by isuaggie View Post
    Staples.com $99.99 I've purchased these batteries before and they are quality.

    Lenmar Replacement Battery For Dell XPS M1530 Laptop Computer | StaplesŪ
    i bought a mac last year and it is a pain in the arce.very poor engineering as its usb ports do not let plug -in equipment to fit properly. stick with a dell or hp- apple has much hype,but the quality of their products have gone down hill in recent years...


    doc

  14. #14
    Starter
    Points: 26,851, Level: 50
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 699
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    904
    Points
    26,851
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: New Computer

    Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    Are you talking about a laptop or a desktop. The cheapest Appple macbook is $1K right? Now go and compare it's specs to a Dell.
    Yeah, that's what I thought too. Desktops are different but the Apple laptops are very expensive. VERY nice, but expensive. The Dells are nice and work well and are a lot cheaper. The macbooks are very nice and pricey. Your choice.

    If I was you, I'd just replace the battery if that's all that is wrong with it and get along for awhile yet; its not that old.



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 83,447, Level: 89
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 303
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hudson, Iowa
    Posts
    8,008
    Points
    83,447
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 14

    Re: New Computer

    Quote Originally Posted by ist8er View Post
    I have a Dell that's going on 3 years old and it works great, but the battery died and I have to keep it plugged in all the time now. I think the computer itself will last a little while yet, but I might start doing a little computer shopping now to get a head start. Are there any computer recommendations out there? I've also considered just replacing the battery on my computer, but who knows how long my computer would last after doing that.

    Anyways, I'm just looking for some suggestions on what computers are a good deal and would last a while. I basically just use my computer for surfing the internet, a few games here and there, and basic MS Office stuff.

    A Mac would be cool, but I don't know if I want to spend the money. Are they worth it? Thanks in advance.
    I inherited an old 2004 Compaq Presario tower when I bought my house last year. We needed an extra computer to do basically all the same things you want for our kids. I spent $50 to get it cleaned up and to have the latest software loaded onto it. We have it hooked up to high speed internet through Mediacom and it loads just as quickly as my much newer Thinkpad.

    I'll probably spend a little more money to get a bigger LED screen and maybe a different mouse, but am extremely happy with the bang for the buck I'm getting with this computer. You can surely find something a little newer like this on the internet or at some computer store.

    Am not planning no doing many games and the guy who worked on the computer said we'd be better off getting a XBox or Play Station.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM