Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 45,474, Level: 65
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    psychlone99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    871
    Points
    45,474
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 15

    Funding request?

    This article came from the Dubuque Telegraph Herald. I thought it was a good piece, until I read these two sentences:

    "An imperative part of Iowa State's long-range plan to build a championship-caliber program is a new football practice and office complex. Pollard will make a funding request to the Board of Regents in June."

    Unfortunately, 95 percent of people who read this article will think that Iowa State is asking the BOR (i.e. Iowa taxpayers) for money to build the football facility, which isn't the case. I'd love to believe that this was an accident, but the conspiracy theorist in me believes this paper (located in Hawk territory) made this convenient mistake on purpose.



  2. #2
    Walk On
    Points: 4,877, Level: 20
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 173
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Carr50010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    149
    Points
    4,877
    Level
    20
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Funding request?

    Quote Originally Posted by psychlone99 View Post
    This article came from the Dubuque Telegraph Herald. I thought it was a good piece, until I read these two sentences:

    "An imperative part of Iowa State's long-range plan to build a championship-caliber program is a new football practice and office complex. Pollard will make a funding request to the Board of Regents in June."

    Unfortunately, 95 percent of people who read this article will think that Iowa State is asking the BOR (i.e. Iowa taxpayers) for money to build the football facility, which isn't the case. I'd love to believe that this was an accident, but the conspiracy theorist in me believes this paper (located in Hawk territory) made this convenient mistake on purpose.

    I do not think most people know much of anything about the Board of Regents.
    I certainly do not.
    I do know that ISU football is paying for all improvements, and there is no tax money involved.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 140,526, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CyFan61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    7,169
    Points
    140,526
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 329
    Given: 102

    Re: Funding request?

    Quote Originally Posted by Carr50010 View Post
    I do not think most people know much of anything about the Board of Regents.
    I certainly do not.
    I do know that ISU football is paying for all improvements, and there is no tax money involved.
    Not only is no tax money going to this, but also zero tuition dollars.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 124,951, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    theshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,526
    Points
    124,951
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 0

    Re: Funding request?

    In this case, "funding request" most likely means "debt service plan." Just another part of the standard process for capital improvements. You either have the money in hand, or you present a plan detailing payment (short-term or long-term).



  5. #5
    Starter
    Points: 45,474, Level: 65
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    psychlone99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    871
    Points
    45,474
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 15

    Re: Funding request?

    Quote Originally Posted by Carr50010 View Post
    I do not think most people know much of anything about the Board of Regents.
    I certainly do not.
    Which is exactly why the average Joe will assume we're asking for taxpayer money when he reads the words "funding request". He doesn't know any better, and that terminology seems pretty straightforward, even though it's BS.



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 404,747, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    21,069
    Points
    404,747
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 252
    Given: 107

    Re: Funding request?

    Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    In this case, "funding request" most likely means "debt service plan." Just another part of the standard process for capital improvements. You either have the money in hand, or you present a plan detailing payment (short-term or long-term).
    Pretty much the BOR making sure that the AD has a way to pay for it and there's no chance that the debt could end up falling back onto the general university.



  7. #7
    Rookie
    Points: 9,236, Level: 28
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    527
    Points
    9,236
    Level
    28
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 30

    Re: Funding request?

    Quote Originally Posted by psychlone99 View Post
    This article came from the Dubuque Telegraph Herald. I thought it was a good piece, until I read these two sentences:

    "An imperative part of Iowa State's long-range plan to build a championship-caliber program is a new football practice and office complex. Pollard will make a funding request to the Board of Regents in June."

    Unfortunately, 95 percent of people who read this article will think that Iowa State is asking the BOR (i.e. Iowa taxpayers) for money to build the football facility, which isn't the case. I'd love to believe that this was an accident, but the conspiracy theorist in me believes this paper (located in Hawk territory) made this convenient mistake on purpose.
    Yes, so deep into "Hawk territory", that we can't even listen to 'Clone games on the radio! It sucks! Closest radio stations are: FM - Maquoketa 95.1 (pretty iffy up and down the hills), or AM - Fort Dodge 540 (day games only), or AM - Waterloo 1650 (only on the top of hills on good weather days). Wish just ONE station in Dubuque would pick up the Cyclone Network!



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 101,395, Level: 99
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,655
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,054
    Points
    101,395
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

    Re: Funding request?

    A blatant attempt by the Dubuque paper to mislead all 100 of its readers. Shameful.



  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 92,664, Level: 94
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 486
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ribsnwhiskey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    4,069
    Points
    92,664
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 458
    Given: 106

    Re: Funding request?

    Quote Originally Posted by Senolcyc View Post
    A blatant attempt by the Dubuque paper to mislead all 100 of its readers. Shameful.
    It's a pretty bad article in general. And the "glamorous video board" is also a $5 million dollar project. The writer obviously did his research.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM