Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 109

Godfrey: Loss of a Starter?

I was glad to see Chris's post today that he thought Godfrey would have started next season. I posted the same thing a few weeks ago.

I think Godfrey's departure is a huge loss. He was the most physical and best inside defender we had, but I think we'll miss that hint of a mean streak the most. That's not even taking into consideration the extra fouls we would have had otherwise.

P.S. Chris, I sent you an e-mail a couple of days ago re: a legal presentation to the b-ball team. Not sure you received it.

Hopefully, White/Booker can also give us some of that.

"Of course the people don't want war ... the people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger."
    -- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

Walk On
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 246
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Re: Godfrey: Loss of a Starter?

This post sounded awfully self-serving. And can we really stop all the "Godfrey was great" and "what are we going to do now" threads cause they're getting kinda old.

P.S. Chris is probably not the guy to get the b-ball team hooked up with legal presentation.

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,022
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 109

Quote Originally Posted by Klone View Post
    This post sounded awfully self-serving. And can we really stop all the "Godfrey was great" and "what are we going to do now" threads cause they're getting kinda old.

P.S. Chris is probably not the guy to get the b-ball team hooked up with legal presentation.
    Riiight, like no one else ever posts anything re: some verification of their opinion. Exactly how many posts do you think we have had re: who starts next season? Hundreds upon hundreds.

And, as you have absolutely not a clue re: what my e-mail to Chris contained, you're really not in any conceivable position to comment on that, now are you? Additionally, your statement that Chris has no clue re: what I wrote to him about implies that you have some great knowledge re: the basketball program. Now that certainly isn't self-serving, is it?

"Of course the people don't want war ... the people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger."
    -- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 550
    Given: 349

I think each team needs a hustler on the court with a mean streak. So we have one at this point? Railey? Royce?

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Starter
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 699
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

I guess I am going against the flow here; what's new. I don't think Godfrey would have started. A high energy guy off the bench with a mean streak? Yep, and that is a valuable thing. He didn't start over Ejim last year and wouldn't the upcoming here. With White, Booker, and Railey are all bigger and play in the post too. I don't think Godfrey would have been good enough to sit those guys. Especially Royce. But we will never know because he's gone; so its a non issue.

Last edited by Rickybaby; 05-13-2011 at 08:17 AM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,722
    Given: 428

Quote Originally Posted by Psiclone View Post
    Riiight, like no one else ever posts anything re: some verification of their opinion. Exactly how many posts do you think we have had re: who starts next season? Hundreds upon hundreds.

And, as you have absolutely not a clue re: what my e-mail to Chris contained, you're really not in any conceivable position to comment on that, now are you? Additionally, your statement that Chris has no clue re: what I wrote to him about implies that you have some great knowledge re: the basketball program. Now that certainly isn't self-serving, is it?
    re:lax

Speechless
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 550
    Given: 349

Quote Originally Posted by Rickybaby View Post
    I guess I am going against the flow here; what's new. I don't think Godfrey would have started. A high energy guy off the bench with a mean streak? Yep, and that is a valuable thing. He didn't start over Ejim last year and wouldn't the upcoming here. With White, Booker, and Railey are all bigger and play in the post too. I don't think Godfrey would have been good enough to sit those guys. Especially Royce. But we will never know because he's gone; so its a none issue.
    Ejim is not big enough to be a power forward. He is too light and not tall enough. He is a SF. Just my opinion. When the bodies get crowded around the bucket, you need more oomph. We will not be a good rebounding team again if the past two years are an indicator. We need to hit our shots. When the conference starts up, we will see if we can rebound.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 1,112
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 323
    Given: 58

We just need to land Percy and he will give us another big body and physical presence in the paint. By the time we're into conference play, Percy would likely be able to provide us as much as Godfrey did during conference play, which was some solid minutes.

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Losing Calvin is a huge loss. It absolutely breaks the sports part of my heart that he screwed this up. I'm still really PO'd and I probably will be for a long time. It's a damn shame he won't be in a Cyclone uniform any longer and the kid is just flat out stupid for doing what he's done. He was the one guy I didn't want to lose.

With that said, he would not have started next season. I read that in Chris's mailbag thinking 'um really Chris?' Booker was going to start and is going to start. He's good. Has potential to be very good. Godfrey would have played very meaningful minutes behind Royce and Anthony. Now, Railey better be ready to step up bigtime, Melvin better be ready to once again play more 4 than he should, and if we get Gibson, he better be ready to hit the floor as a frosh.

A lot of variables to worry about with the loss of Calvin but starting lineup isn't one of them, IMO.

ANF - America Needs Farmers - Thank God Iowa State produces-educates-supports them!

Pro
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,051
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 6

actually he's not a loss he's just cutting away dead weight. We'll recruit someone else to replace him and we'll be fine. He's had multiple chances and shown he can't be counted on.

Let Me Mayor Coach!

Legend
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 307
    Given: 1,191

Quote Originally Posted by Cyforce View Post
    actually he's not a loss he's just cutting away dead weight. We'll recruit someone else to replace him and we'll be fine. He's had multiple chances and shown he can't be counted on.
    Riiiiight. What a horrible post.

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Pro
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,376
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53

It's a substantial loss and he would've been in position to be competing for a starting spot, but it isn't crippling.

I liked Godfrey, he played hard, and he was a great boost off the bench. That said, he was still just a 6'6 PF.

I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

Publisher
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 791
    Given: 201

Quote Originally Posted by Cloned4Life View Post
    I read that in Chris's mailbag thinking 'um really Chris?' Booker was going to start and is going to start. He's good. Has potential to be very good. Godfrey would have played very meaningful minutes behind Royce and Anthony. Now, Railey better be ready to step up bigtime, Melvin better be ready to once again play more 4 than he should, and if we get Gibson, he better be ready to hit the floor as a frosh.

A lot of variables to worry about with the loss of Calvin but starting lineup isn't one of them, IMO.
    Here's one thing to keep in mind. When I throw out little nuggets like that, I generally do not do so unless I am pretty confident about it. Trust me. The staff thought that Godfrey would start next year.

But I agree with your overall thought. Losing Godfrey doesn't eliminate hopes of an NCAA Tournament. But with the way Calvin played after the suspension last season, it is obviously going to be a significant loss in the frontcourt. Even if Gibson does commit, he doesn't have Big 12 experience like Calvin does. You cannot replace that.

Publisher
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 791
    Given: 201

Quote Originally Posted by Psiclone View Post
    I was glad to see Chris's post today that he thought Godfrey would have started next season. I posted the same thing a few weeks ago.

I think Godfrey's departure is a huge loss. He was the most physical and best inside defender we had, but I think we'll miss that hint of a mean streak the most. That's not even taking into consideration the extra fouls we would have had otherwise.

P.S. Chris, I sent you an e-mail a couple of days ago re: a legal presentation to the b-ball team. Not sure you received it.

Hopefully, White/Booker can also give us some of that.
    Got your email. It has been a crazy week as I've been traveling a lot due to a funeral back home. I've technically "taken today off" (haha in this business? signed James Capello) but I promise I'll reply to your email soon!

Pro
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 728
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 69

agree... Godfrey is a big loss. I went from no way we finish worse then 3rd or 4th in Big 12, to not sure. Godfrey was going to be a physical presense in the starting lineup or off the bench... either way he was worth double digits to me.