22 30.14%
  • Defense

51 69.86%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

More excited for Defense or Offense?

Are you more excited to see what our no-named quarterback offense is going to do this upcoming season or how our expericenced defense is going to do? I am excited for both obviously, but the offense just intrigues me as of now. It's hard to say how excited i am going to be once a QB is named. If Tiller wins the job, I think i'll probably be a bit nervous. I do hope Tiller improves 110% because he's going to have to, to win the job. And if he does win, that means Jantz was probably a recruiting bust and that Capello or Barnett are not even close to ready yet. I just don't think Tiller is our best QB on the team right now. The whole QB competition just makes me excited to see what the offense does. How about you?

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,573
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 75

Re: More excited for Defense or Offense?

The offensive side of the ball has so many questions that it's tough to be excited. That, and their underwhelming production so far under Herman. Put me down for the defenese.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 531
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Clones21 View Post
    Are you more excited to see what our no-named quarterback offense is going to do this upcoming season or how our expericenced defense is going to do? I am excited for both obviously, but the offense just intrigues me as of now. It's hard to say how excited i am going to be once a QB is named. If Tiller wins the job, I think i'll probably be a bit nervous. I do hope Tiller improves 110% because he's going to have to, to win the job. And if he does win, that means Jantz was probably a recruiting bust and that Capello or Barnett are not even close to ready yet. I just don't think Tiller is our best QB on the team right now. The whole QB competition just makes me excited to see what the offense does. How about you?
    I just cannot get excited for the offense. We lose 90% of our production. We lose two multi year starters on OL. We have the same OC that has yet to prove much. We have a QB position being led by a guy that was hands down worse than his predecessor. Keep in mind many think his predecessor was horrible and the reason for all of our losses. About the only thing that might get me excited is Money is healthy and Horne seems to have cracked the starting lineup. That means our WR play might actually be improved and might actually catch balls thrown in their direction and make plays.

I am usually a Kool Aid drinking fan this time of the year but I just can't do it this year. I have had the ball pulled way too many times.

I have more optimism about the defense but hey have a ways to go before being "good".

"Not at the table Carlos."

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 625
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 159

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/MAIN/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-4.png[/IMG]
    That is all.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,346
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 42

The offense under Herman has been horrible, hard for me to get real excited at this point. Sure AA and ARob had some moments, but that is a credit to them and their ability to make plays and they are now gone. Color me stunned if the offense figures out a way to score points and make first downs.

All-Star
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,153
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 6

Offense because of all the playmakers we will have

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 553
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 12

I chose offense. Not because I am excited but because I am interested to see what they can do. I feel confident that our D will be as good or better than last year so I feel like I have a better handle on what to expect here.

On the other hand the offense is completely unpredictable to me. We dont know who the QB will be, how productive our RB's will be in replacing one of the most underrated RB's in school history and we have no PROVEN receivers. The success of this team lies in these postion battles as our Defense is good enough to get us to a bowl but cannot do it alone.

“It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 527
    Given: 369

If Tiller hasn't improved to at least Arnaud's level of play during this off season, then I'm not sure what there is to be excited about in terms of the offense. Maybe KO, maybe SJ. That might be about it...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,119
    Given: 588

I voted for defense, as I think that has the best chance of being the stronger unit, but I am intrigued by the offense. If there is improvement on the offensive side of the ball, I like our chances this season.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,124
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 185

Our most heralded offensive player is an Olineman, nothing against the line but thats not going to get anyone excited. With guys like Klein, Knott and Reeves who have shown big play ability I think the defense could be fun to watch. I'm not expecting them to be a shutdown type of squad but I do think they're capable of game changing plays.

Pro
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,333
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 266
    Given: 356

Defense. And it's not even close for me. Here's what I'll be watching for:

1- The LB corps. It takes more than a broken arm to stop Knott, & Klein is the other half of "The Bash Brothers." Don't be shocked if Jevohn Miller sees the field quite a bit this fall. He really stood out this spring. Jeremiah George will have his chance to shine as well.

2- Can Lattimer repeat his Texas performance again? Will he be suspended? For how long? Can he stay out of trouble this summer?

3- Leonard Johnson & Ter'Ran Benton will lead what should be an experienced secondary. Really gonna miss those guys. How big will the dropoff be at safety? Could they be even better?

4- Quinton Pompey had an impressive offers list and looks the part. Can he contribute right away? If so, I'm liking the rotation for our interior d-line.

Ya never know- maybe our defense will give our offense great opportunities and Herman'll grind it out on the ground so we don't have to worry about who's throwing the ball. Wishful thinking, I know.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 761
    Given: 1,582

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLNST8 View Post
    Defense. And it's not even close for me. Here's what I'll be watching for:

1- The LB corps. It takes more than a broken arm to stop Knott, & Klein is the other half of "The Bash Brothers." Don't be shocked if Jevohn Miller sees the field quite a bit this fall. He really stood out this spring. Jeremiah George will have his chance to shine as well.

2- Can Lattimer repeat his Texas performance again? Will he be suspended? For how long? Can he stay out of trouble this summer?

3- Leonard Johnson & Ter'Ran Benton will lead what should be an experienced secondary. Really gonna miss those guys. How big will the dropoff be at safety? Could they be even better?

4- Quinton Pompey had an impressive offers list and looks the part. Can he contribute right away? If so, I'm liking the rotation for our interior d-line.

Ya never know- maybe our defense will give our offense great opportunities and Herman'll grind it out on the ground so we don't have to worry about who's throwing the ball. Wishful thinking, I know.
    For this reason I think we might be able to get away with just having a slighly more efficient passing game. If we can run the ball well again this year, and just make a good percentage of the easy throws that we missed or dropped last year, we could be much improved on offense. Throw in a few explosive passing plays and we could be much improved.

I voted for defense for similar reasons. There is a lot more to be excited about. If the DL can be moderately better it will help K&K immensely.

That and I really want to see someone get lit up! I love football!

While I'm less excited about offense, I am certainly intrigued!

Pro
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 285
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 11

I'm excited to see Sedrick Johnson finally become the receiver we thought he could be.

I don't bring my own opinions, just attack others.

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 307
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 58

Defense all the way.
    If the trend since Rhoads arrival continues with defensive turnovers, and the talent is the best thats been here since 05 the Clones may be in for a surprising season.

Lowering the PPG allowed and creating more short fields for the offense to work with can do wonders.

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Starter
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 525
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 4

I am going to say both...

Am real excited to see how well West and Horn are going to be. And the stable of backs...just the thought. Haven't been this exited about as many runningbacks in all my 40 plus years of following Cyclone Football. I won't go on record as to say who will be the starting QB but I think that we will have a fun group to watch. The O-line is only going to get better - as is the offense - just wait and see!

On defense I really get excited to see how the LB's have come along and what is going to a happen once they hit the field in September. Also, I'd look for the front line to be quite a bit improved. The secondary will also have it's day...Johnson & Benton will both contribute to the success of this defensive unit.

Wow, I can hardly wait for September!

ONLY 114 days until kickoff...darn countdown clock - Chris, can't you make that thing go any faster?

Cyclone fan since 1964 and proud of it!

Keepers of the Faith -- Member