Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 116

Watering my lawn

Tell me what I need to know.
    Pretty flat. Pretty sparse. Pretty weedy. Would like to keep whatever grass is in there in good shape before I seed in the fall.
    2 weeks in a new place where no one has touched the yard, except to mow it, for 3 years.

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 277
    Given: 37

Re: Watering my lawn

Morning and nights. Morning and Night.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Prospect
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 293
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Water in the morning if you are inclined. Some experts believe wet grass overnight in warm weather can lead to fungus problems. If your grass really looks bad then I wouldn't be overly concerned. Grass can naturally go dormant during periods of hot weather with little destruction of the plant. You only need enough water to keep the crowns alive.

I'd save your energy and focus it all on the renovation in the fall.

Rookie
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 213
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 48

Here is a good link explaining lawn watering.

Watering your lawn ~ ISU Extension Service article | Facebook

Your county extension office is a good source of free information. If you see a weed or bug in your lawn and do not know what it is or how to control it then take some pictures or gather some samples and take them there and they will fill you in on what you need to do. They can also give you some good advice on how to bring your lawn back to life.

If one morning I walked on top of the water across the Potomac River, the headline that afternoon would read: "President Can't Swim."
    Lyndon B. Johnson

All-Star
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 640
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by wartknight View Post
    Pretty flat. Pretty sparse. Pretty weedy. Would like to keep whatever grass is in there in good shape before I seed in the fall.
    2 weeks in a new place where no one has touched the yard, except to mow it, for 3 years.

I would mimic what the extension pulication says. Depending on how much $$ you want to spend watering and how particular you are about keeping what you have for grass green will determine how often to water.

My suggestions:

Apply broadleaf herbicide-
    Chemical applications for broadleaf weeds are pretty easy and effective if you follow the directions. You can find tons of options with these from the bottles that you just connect to the hose and spray away all the way to buying and mixing the chemical yourself and applying with a hand sprayer etc. The second option works best in situations where you only need to "spot spray" otherwise this can take a long time, plus the fact that you have to measure and handle the chemical etc. More chances for mistakes or missed weeds. Getting rid of the broadleafs will make the lawn look better instantly and help keep weeds from spreading any more than they already have.

As far as the grass-like weeds these are much harder to control for the typical homeowner. I would suggest hand weeding as much as possible to get rid of the big clumps and not to worry about the rest. Eventually if you reseed and care for the new seeding hopefully it will start to reclaim the lawn.

Watering-
    Water in the morning if at all possible. As pointed out by the extension publication watering at night can promote fungus growth because the grass and soil do not have time to dry before nightfall. Also watering in the am, you are not going to have as much evaporation as you do in the heat of the day or at night when you get home from work.

Water more less frequently. If you give the grass/soil a good soaking you will promote root growth and plants will be less stressed during hot/dry conditions. Watering often with smaller amounts leaves grass prone to drought stress because of shallow root growth.

If I need to water I try to get up early (4-5am) and let the sprinkler run until I leave for work. I also spent the extra $$ to get one of those watering tractors that you see around. I love mine because I can just set that bad boy up and it moves on its own and you dont have to remember or take the time to keep moving the sprinkler. They cost more than your typical sprinklers ($50-60) but are well worth the investment IMO.

“It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 787
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

this is related to watering but not actually about watering. you might consider getting the pipes that connect to the outside spigots connected on a seperate line from the pipes that are connected to the sewer. the water department can either install them or recommend someone to come install that. they hook it up to a seperate meter and it makes it cheaper in the long run

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 621
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Deep and infrequent. Morning is better but with a bluegrass lawn, fungus isn't much of an issue.

"Not at the table Carlos."

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyeh8r View Post
    this is related to watering but not actually about watering. you might consider getting the pipes that connect to the outside spigots connected on a seperate line from the pipes that are connected to the sewer. the water department can either install them or recommend someone to come install that. they hook it up to a seperate meter and it makes it cheaper in the long run

Some cities also provide what they call portable meters for purchase. I live in Waukee and they offer this. Basically the same principal as above only no installation of additional pipes etc.

You simply purchase the meter, hook it up to the outside spigots and then call in the water meter reading from the portable meter once a month. The amount used through these meters will be deducted from your sewer charges for the next months bill.

If you plan to water alot this is definately worth the $$. I think my meter cost about $80 but when you think about the amount of $$ spent on sewer charges it is a HUGE savings.

“It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”

All-Star
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyeh8r View Post
    In Ames, the biggest problem is that you have a monthly charge just to have a meter. So you get charged a monthly fee for that meter all year -- even though it only saves you money in the summer. Unless you water a lot, it's hard to save any significant money -- though there are a lot of people that do it.

Unless policy has changed in the last couple of years since I researched it.

However, in Ames, you can call in and ask them to reimburse you for the sewer portion of your summer bill. They'll compare your summer usage to non-summer usage and then subtract the sewer portion of the water that was used to water your lawn (which doesn't go down the sewer). Of course, you have to remember to do that (and I've forgotten). Again, I assume that they still allow this.

CykoAGR has good points too.

May my postings be polite and not misunderstood. (And hopefully funny on occasion.)

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,655
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't see a need to water it at all. Regular rainfall is plenty of water for a rough lawn as you described it. Maybe hit it with some weed-and-feed just to take out some of the weeds.

The only lawns that need watering are very nice ones in times of little rainfall. Average Joe lawns don't need much. Time and money better spent on weed control and regular over seeding.

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 787
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by TedKumsher View Post
    In Ames, the biggest problem is that you have a monthly charge just to have a meter. So you get charged a monthly fee for that meter all year -- even though it only saves you money in the summer. Unless you water a lot, it's hard to save any significant money -- though there are a lot of people that do it.

Unless policy has changed in the last couple of years since I researched it.

However, in Ames, you can call in and ask them to reimburse you for the sewer portion of your summer bill. They'll compare your summer usage to non-summer usage and then subtract the sewer portion of the water that was used to water your lawn (which doesn't go down the sewer). Of course, you have to remember to do that (and I've forgotten). Again, I assume that they still allow this.

CykoAGR has good points too.
    i didnt realize that Ames charged for the meter year round. I helped my dad set one up when I was in high school and they only charged you for the meter and w/e water you used

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Senolcyc View Post
    I don't see a need to water it at all. Regular rainfall is plenty of water for a rough lawn as you described it. Maybe hit it with some weed-and-feed just to take out some of the weeds.

The only lawns that need watering are very nice ones in times of little rainfall. Average Joe lawns don't need much. Time and money better spent on weed control and regular over seeding.

Chances are not watering is what caused the lawn to look like it does. I think watering goes hand in hand with having a decent lawn. You typically dont have one without the other. Typically people who invest in watering their lawns are also the ones that are completing regular fertilizer and weed control programs so that also plays into it as well. And there is no sense in overseeding if you dont water, new seeding will NEVER take without regular (every 1-2 days depending on temps) watering.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,332
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 138
    Given: 36

Unless there is an extended dry period with high heat, watering your lawn is an incredible waist of time, money and natural resources.

My lawn was established 40 years ago and has never been re-seeded, aerated, watered or fertilized until I bought it two years ago. I've done two years of an annual weed and feed and it couldn't be more lush.

It may slowly go dormant for a period in the summer if it doesn't rain but I'd rather have that then the hassle/waste of watering.

People over-analyze their lawns - particularly suburbanites. I guess it's some engrained need to "farm" or something.

“Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

Martin Luther King Jr.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Incyte View Post
    Unless there is an extended dry period with high heat, watering your lawn is an incredible waist of time, money and natural resources.

My lawn was established 40 years ago and has never been re-seeded, aerated, watered or fertilized until I bought it two years ago. I've done two years of an annual weed and feed and it couldn't be more lush.

It may slowly go dormant for a period in the summer if it doesn't rain but I'd rather have that then the hassle/waste of watering.

People over-analyze their lawns - particularly suburbanites. I guess it's some engrained need to "farm" or something.
    Established lawns are a completely different story. In most cases established lawns get some protection from the sun because of trees and by this time should have a well established root system to rely on. Also the OM has built up in the soil a bit as well. This more than likely isnt the case in new lawns. I have dug up areas of my lawn for various landscaping and there is almost zero black dirt. It was all removed in the process of development and building of the house.

New lawns such as the OP's (3yrs old) recieve no shade from existing trees and in most cases probably had crappy soil underneath the sod/seeding when it was started. If you dont care for the new lawn (at least water enough to keep it alive) it turns into the weed patch that the OP is now dealing with.

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,655
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CykoAGR View Post
    And there is no sense in overseeding if you dont water, new seeding will NEVER take without regular (every 1-2 days depending on temps) watering.

I've had great success putting down seed in the fall before the first frost, forgetting about it, letting the snow incubate through the winter, then letting the snow "water" as it melts, and just sitting back and watching it grow like crazy come April/May. It's almost foolproof and I am just the fool to prove it.