Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 14

Online Sports Betting

First off, How legal is it to do?

2nd. Does anyone bet on baseball games? As an unemployed person I am thinking about doing this and doing it online is cheaper than moving to vegas. Do anyone have any tips/advice on how to do this. What sites do you use, Do you just bet on the winner or do you use spread/over/under etc. I have been practicing with "imaginary" money and have already doubled up in two days. Thanks

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,043
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 187
    Given: 40

Re: Online Sports Betting

I've used Bodog for several years with no issue. However after the federal crackdown on the poker sites I've withdrawn most of my money from that site, I've got a couple playoff bets out there but other than that I emptied my account.

I bet mainly on college basketball and football, but I think MLB is the hardest sport to bet on. It's so hard to predict as even the best teams lose 40% of their games, and so much is dependent upon the starting pitcher and how he's throwing that day.

Also, two days is an extremely small sample size. Especially if you're just going with your gut. If you have some sort of statistical trend or program you're using to make your bets that's one thing, but if you're just guessing on who you think will win, I would think twice before throwing a lot of money at this.

Starter
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyJack13 View Post
    I've used Bodog for several years with no issue. However after the federal crackdown on the poker sites I've withdrawn most of my money from that site, I've got a couple playoff bets out there but other than that I emptied my account.

I bet mainly on college basketball and football, but I think MLB is the hardest sport to bet on. It's so hard to predict as even the best teams lose 40% of their games, and so much is dependent upon the starting pitcher and how he's throwing that day.

Also, two days is an extremely small sample size. Especially if you're just going with your gut. If you have some sort of statistical trend or program you're using to make your bets that's one thing, but if you're just guessing on who you think will win, I would think twice before throwing a lot of money at this.
    Yes I know that it is a small sample size and I would not double my money is two days. I have been looking at pitching matchups and only "betting" on underdogs.

I do not like betting on football that much because I prefer to bet win/loss because I do not want to lose money because there are too many situations that do not affect the outcome of the game but can affect whether the spread is covered etc.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 83

I would suggest getting a job and giving up the dream.... OR get a job then start to bet... but saying your unemployed and want to take up gambling on baseball just sends up a ton of red flags with me...

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 86

Are you betting CyBookie credits or what?

Quote Originally Posted by cyhawkdmb View Post
    I would suggest getting a job and giving up the dream.... OR get a job then start to bet... but saying your unemployed and want to take up gambling on baseball just sends up a ton of red flags with me...
    I agree with the above.

Starter
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyhawkdmb View Post
    By unemployed, I meant unemployed in the field that I want with my degree. I am currently doing ***** work. Also I never said I was going to bet high stakes. Also what dream?

Thanks for the input though, it was very helpful!!!!

ps: Since you are full of good advice can you get me a job in my field of study?

Addict
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 83

Quote Originally Posted by dabears32 View Post
    By unemployed, I meant unemployed in the field that I want with my degree. I am currently doing ***** work. Also I never said I was going to bet high stakes. Also what dream?

Thanks for the input though, it was very helpful!!!!

ps: Since you are full of good advice can you get me a job in my field of study?
    Not without knowing your "field of study"

All-Star
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 824
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 23

You should stay away. Leave it at something fun to do when you're in vegas. There's no long term up-side and depending on your personality, a ton of risk. Some people start into that without knowing how it will effect them, then can't stop. You never know if that'll be you until you're in too deep.. the more you bet, the more you will lose. They take a high percentage of every bet. You spend $100 to win $91 for a bet that is 50/50.. thats just bad math.. the more you bet, the more you will lose.. nothing good can come from it.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

If you're just looking for some fun along the lines of Cybookie, but slightly more meaningful than credits, you could try CentSports.com - Free sports betting, Real sports cash.. It is free (banner ads), they start you off with $0.10 in your account and you can bet on pretty much anything. They have spreads, moneylines, O/U, you can parlay, etc. When you first start out you can even cycle through additional ads for bonuses on your bet, once you get over a couple dollars they stop giving you bonuses. Whenever you lose all your money they give you another dime. You can cash out anytime you get over $10... my highest was $9.71. I bet on ISU too much.

I AM SO PROUD....
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleClone View Post
    If you're just looking for some fun along the lines of Cybookie, but slightly more meaningful than credits, you could try CentSports.com - Free sports betting, Real sports cash.. It is free (banner ads), they start you off with $0.10 in your account and you can bet on pretty much anything. They have spreads, moneylines, O/U, you can parlay, etc. When you first start out you can even cycle through additional ads for bonuses on your bet, once you get over a couple dollars they stop giving you bonuses. Whenever you lose all your money they give you another dime. You can cash out anytime you get over $10... my highest was $9.71. I bet on ISU too much.
    How do they ever make money? Do they send you a check after you get over $10? This seems too good to be real.

PS. I haven't even looked at the site yet.

Legend
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 195
    Given: 36

Quote Originally Posted by RhoadsRage View Post
    How do they ever make money? Do they send you a check after you get over $10? This seems too good to be real.

My guess is all the ads a user would have to cycle through to bet.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 375
    Given: 54

I use sportsinteraction. I don't bet a lot of baseball but when I do, it's heavy underdogs because baseball is so hard to judge. I usually also look at series and just go off odds. So in a three game set, if a team wins the first two, and the other is the underdog in game 3, I bet the underdog. Sometimes heavy and sometimes not. Always remember that baseball is more of a battle of the pitchers than teams. I also do some NBA stuff because you can bet the dogs and make a lot of money sometimes. $5 can turn into 100 pretty quick with an upset. Bet overs on college football a lot. Oh yeah, and bet on the Giants in the Super Bowl. I did very well on that game. All of that is what I have had success with. I bet a lot of underdogs and put little money down on them. Depending on the sport, I don't bet a lot of spreads unless it looks way easy. I just hate the feeling of getting burned on a last drive touchdown by the underdog that meant nothing except it took money out of my hands.

That's just what I do and I still have a full time job so it's not a big money maker but I'm ahead and it's fun for me.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by RhoadsRage View Post

It's all about the ads, I have no idea how ad revenue is structured, I'm sure someone around here might know. Google "centsports cashout" and you may find some mixed reviews, but most of those seem older from when the site first started. I have no idea, like I said I've never gotten above $9.71. If I ever get above $10 then I'll worry about it. Bottom line, it doesn't cost you anything and there's always the chance of coming away with actual money. More than can be said for Cybookie. Not that I'm ripping on Cybookie.

Quote Originally Posted by CyCrazy View Post
    My guess is all the ads a user would have to cycle through to bet.
    They don't really force any ads upon you, it's mainly a bunch of banners and a few popups that get past the popup blocker. They have recently started autoplaying a video when you first go to the site, but unlike the one at the bottom here you can actually close it.

Last edited by SeattleClone; 05-08-2011 at 09:49 PM.