Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

How to get Blythe the ball?

Not a flame, but one thing I hear from almost all ISU fans is the need to get Blythe the ball more. Is this the fault of the scheme or is Blythe an explosive but limited player? By that I mean are there only certain routes he runs well and most of those are down the field where he can use his size and strength to get a jump on the ball. It is really hard to tell much on tv but is Blythe's route running ability part of the reason he doesn't get as many touches as you would think.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 176

Re: How to get Blythe the ball?

Lineup at the line.
    Snap the ball.
    Drop back (3 or 5 steps, I don't care).
    Throw ball to Blythe.

It is completely unfathomable that it would take us just over 28 minutes in the game to even throw a pass his way.

But, that's what happened last night.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

If he's not the primary receiver in the play - not the first look, he doesn't get the ball. It's that simple. And that seems to be true of every receiver on the team. We don't seem to check through progressions. Why he isn't the first look more often - that's a legit question.

Hard to say why. Last year it was easy - "one-one-thousand, two-one-thous.." and Bret was running for his life. Last night, there was pressure, but not nearly as much. I'm guessing that Bret is just still in a rut of zeroing in on a receiver and that's his guy come hell or high water. It led to a couple of poor passes and two picks.

IMO, you rarely see him drop back and progress across the field. Last year was last year, and he didn't have time. Perhaps he isn't comforable with protection. Maybe he had more reason than I could see from my seat. Last night was just one game.

We'll see.

Last edited by DaddyMac; 08-31-2007 at 01:42 PM.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 483
    Given: 323

I could see from my computer chair that Meyer was looking one way. He doesnt scan the field well. I know I know, beating a dead horse. I just think he is so used to doing it this way that its hard for him to break it. There are plenty of recievers willing to catch it.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 578
    Given: 401

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post

Lineup at the line.
    Snap the ball.
    Drop back (3 or 5 steps, I don't care).
    Throw ball to Blythe.

It is completely unfathomable that it would take us just over 28 minutes in the game to even throw a pass his way.

But, that's what happened last night.
    It seemed to work very well the first drive of the second half. Throw it high to him, and if the defender somehow outjumps Blythe for it, nod your head and keep going. Odds are the DB isn't going to outjump him...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Walk On
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 238
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Blythe ran a long fade route last night in which he caught the ball out of bounds. It looked to me like Blythe could have come down with the ball against that guy more times than not, but we didnt give him a chance to catch the ball in bounds.

Granted, that corner was an all conferece player last year, but he isnt in Blythe's class

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 176

Quote Originally Posted by 'Clones Fan View Post
    Blythe ran a long fade route last night in which he caught the ball out of bounds.
    Where have we seen that before?

Walk On
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yeah, as if Meyer has never overthrown someone. When you have a guy who is that tall and fast with that much body control give him a chance. If it was picked, then we punted.

There is a lack of a downfield threat from hte offense when we have a guy who could be a dangerous weapon.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Blythe is VERY limited in the routes he can run. It taked him 3-4 seconds to get any separation from his man. Unless he's the #1 option on the play and Meyer has a good 5 seconds to throw, it's not going to work.

Blythe should have learned how to stride a long time ago -he's too slow in the short routes, and Meyer can't seem to find time to throw the deep routes.

Damned either way. I think we should do more slants to Blythe and all of them, but I don't think Meyer excels at hitting a moving target. His fade route has a huge (golf) fade on it that always sends the receiver out of bounds...

Go Cyclones!

Walk On
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Gotcha steel, I still think that when a guy is 6-5 throw him a few jump balls. He made a spactacular catch (out of bounds) maybe (nothing ever goes right for ISU) he could come down with one in bounds if we give him a shot.

Legend
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 155
    Given: 97

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    If he's not the primary receiver in the play - not the first look, he doesn't get the ball. It's that simple. And that seems to be true of every receiver on the team. We don't seem to check through progressions.
    Precisely. I'll guarantee you that if we fans can see it, every one of our opponents' coaching staffs knows that BM has a habit of locking in on one receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Why he isn't the first look more often - that's a legit question.
    Because if the same guy is always the primary receiver, the defense double or triple covers him, and the show is over. In the case of TB, his reputation probably garners him double or triple coverage anyway. The offense can't continually call plays for a double/triple covered receiver when the QB is not able to check off routes.

I think our offense is trying to establish other receivers in order to free up Blythe. BM has to start checking off receivers, or the offense will flounder...until Chizik sits him on the bench...

Last edited by jbhtexas; 08-31-2007 at 02:12 PM.
    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    Because if the same guy is always the primary receiver, the defense double or triple covers him, and the show is over. In the case of TB, his reputation probably garners him double or triple coverage anyway. The offense can't continually call routes for a double/triple covered receiver when the QB is not able to check off routes.
    True. But if Bret recognizes a DC defense, we can always audible to another play.

Anybody notice a single audible last night? I didn't although it's hard to tell sometimes. He certainly doesn't have that Peyton Manning walk to the line, look things over and start calling out the alphabet three times over, kind of audible-ization.

Walk On
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm going to post my opinion, you can beat me up on it if you want to. I thought this most of last year but never said anything because i didn't want to sound negative. I'm not a negative fan at all, i always stay positive. with that....

I think that Todd Blythe is overrated. I'm sick and tired of everyone in the stands whining all game that we need to throw it to blythe. He simply does not get open that much. people say we need to throw it to him anyways, he'll win the jump ball. what if he trips or something else happens and its picked off. then we all call for bret meyer's head because he threw a pick. I think blythe is a great talent that can go get balls. I don't think he is much of a deep threat, and i doubt his route running just based on the fact that he seldom gets separation and is open. That is my opinion, i think blythe is overrated, but is still a good reciever. And to everyone who wants the ball thrown his way every other play, you have no idea how bad that would work.

another thing that peeves me is everyone going nuts when we run the ball on 3rd down and 7 like one or two times. you can't pass on every single passing down. you can't score on every single drive. it is a game of field position. Yet another thing that peeves me is complaining about bates being in on that one play. It was very obvious to me that the problem was execution. if he would have broke a 60 yard touchdown everyone would be praising the call and loving bates being in the game. so what, it didn't work this time, but he must have something special, and i don't think they ever intended to redshirt him.

With all that said, it is pry best to temper the expectations. This rebuilding process is a marathon not a sprint, and i am still happy with most of the things i saw last night. Lets be patient cyclones and trust in the coaches for now. it is just execution, and that will get better. As for Meyer, i think he'll figure it out... and if he doesn't he'll get some time to think about it. Lets not throw him under the bus, he's been a great player and even better person. butcher my post now...

All-Star
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,013
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think we will see more of Blythe in the coming weeks.

The KSU game was a real feeling-out process by the new Staff. They had a lot of questions that needed to be answered, especially in the running game. Obviously, last night was used to try and answer some of those questions.

We knew going in that Blythe is a great player, but we had other questions on Offense. Now that Bass has established himself as the starting RB and the new OL has shown what they can and can't do, I think the playbook will get a little tighter, a little less scatter-brain, and we can start focusing on our strengths.

I am really looking forward to our "lessons learned" offense against UNI next week.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

I don't think there's a single thing to get blasted over. It's a pretty good post IMO.

Although I don't think Blythe is overrated. To me rated is synonomous with talent. And I think we all realize Todd has talent. What I do see is that plenty think TOO MUCH of Todd. That he's a savior and the only thing we have going for us.

But on the whole, I think you're spot on with your post.