Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 35,770, Level: 58
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 880
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Boomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    811
    Points
    35,770
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Just for giggles

    If in June of 2012 The Big East would approach the remaining Big 8 schools and offer membership, how would you feel?

    Big East West
    OU
    OSU
    KU
    KSU
    Mizzou
    ISU
    TCU
    Houston

    *this format allows Former Big 8 schools to have access to Texas recruiting

    Big E^2

    WVU
    USF
    Louisville
    Pitt
    Syracuse
    UConn
    Rutgers
    Cinci

    Big8 teams make one trip East every other year, CCG alternatives between Dallas & Tennessee

    Big East Basketball fractures, the old catholic schools form own league




    * I'm starting to get the Nebraska shakes towards texas right now


    Last edited by Boomer; 05-04-2011 at 11:42 AM.
    www.landthieves.com Al Gore's favorite invention

  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 467,694, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    31,614
    Points
    467,694
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 465
    Given: 320

    Re: Just for giggles



    Please tell me you're kidding.

    First, what happened To Texas, A&M, Tech, and Baylor - did they just vaporize or something?

    Second, unless forced, Oklahoma is never parting from Texas ever again. I wish people would just put this whole "original Big 8" thing to bed - it's never happening again. Ever.

    Third, TCU will not guarantee ISU continued recruiting ties to Texas. TCU just isn't visible enough in the state - nobody cares about TCU.

    Finally, no Big East option will ever be more profitable for ISU long term than any Big 12 option (assuming Texas isn't part of that Big East option). And considering what the Big 12 got for its second tier TV rights, and what the Pac 12 got for its first tier TV rights, and knowing that the Big 12 is worth more than the Pac 12, meaning our first tier TV contract will be worth more than the Pac 12's, it means this conference is in line to earn incredible bank when our first tier TV contract is renegotiated, and it also means the Big 12 Conference is going to be stable for years to come. It also means that Nebraska is probably going to regret bailing on the Big 12 (Colorado would probably think the same thing if they weren't high on their girl Mary J and satisfying their incessant munchies with organic granola...).


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 154,144, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    weR138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,373
    Points
    154,144
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 12

    Re: Just for giggles

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    If in June of 2012 The Big East would approach the remaining Big 8 schools and offer membership, how would you feel?

    Big East West
    OU
    OSU
    KU
    KSU
    Mizzou
    ISU
    TCU
    Houston

    *this format allows Former Big 8 schools to have access to Texas recruiting

    Big E^2

    WVU
    USF
    Louisville
    Pitt
    Syracuse
    UConn
    Rutgers
    Cinci

    Big8 teams make one trip East every other year, CCG alternatives between Dallas & Tennessee

    Big East Basketball fractures, the old catholic schools form own league




    * I'm starting to get the Nebraska shakes towards texas right now
    I just think it would be cool to have a Big 8 again. I like the idea of having separate leagues, like MLB that are affiliated exclusively with each other. It's pure fantasy but that's what the off-season is for

    But Boomer, you're not going to get a lot of sympathy here being an OU fan complaining about UT.

    Sort of like a Red Sox fan complaining to a Royals fan about the Yankees.


    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

  4. #4
    Starter
    Points: 35,770, Level: 58
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 880
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Boomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    811
    Points
    35,770
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Just for giggles

    Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post
    I just think it would be cool to have a Big 8 again. I like the idea of having separate leagues, like MLB that are affiliated exclusively with each other. It's pure fantasy but that's what the off-season is for

    But Boomer, you're not going to get a lot of sympathy here being an OU fan complaining about UT.

    Sort of like a Red Sox fan complaining to a Royals fan about the Yankees.
    I get that, not trying for sympathy but i'm getting the sneaking suspicion OU leadership was mislead by Texas leaders in June.


    www.landthieves.com Al Gore's favorite invention

  5. #5
    Starter
    Points: 35,770, Level: 58
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 880
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Boomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    811
    Points
    35,770
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Just for giggles

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post

    Please tell me you're kidding. No, not really

    First, what happened To Texas, A&M, Tech, and Baylor - did they just vaporize or something? Left to burn on their own like they should have at the end of the SWC

    Second, unless forced, Oklahoma is never parting from Texas ever again. I wish people would just put this whole "original Big 8" thing to bed - it's never happening again. Ever. Leadership changes, we were close to being in the SEC last year. The original Big 8 will not happen again, I agree

    Third, TCU will not guarantee ISU continued recruiting ties to Texas. TCU just isn't visible enough in the state - nobody cares about TCU. If games in Texas doesn't open up recruiting thats on your coaches, games in the Dallas area or Houston would be visible

    Finally, no Big East option will ever be more profitable for ISU long term than any Big 12 option (assuming Texas isn't part of that Big East option). And considering what the Big 12 got for its second tier TV rights, and what the Pac 12 got for its first tier TV rights, and knowing that the Big 12 is worth more than the Pac 12, meaning our first tier TV contract will be worth more than the Pac 12's, it means this conference is in line to earn incredible bank when our first tier TV contract is renegotiated, and it also means the Big 12 Conference is going to be stable for years to come.

    Big East starts renogiating their Tier 1 deal next year, Big XII Tier1 deal doesn't come up till 2016. Best way for the Big East to grab a big deal is expansion. Big XII North was headed their if the PAC16 went down. You think they won't pick up the phone next spring? Huge $$ in 2012 would be better than huge $$$ in 2016 correct?




    www.landthieves.com Al Gore's favorite invention

  6. #6
    Starter
    Points: 9,758, Level: 29
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 192
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CycloneJames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    756
    Points
    9,758
    Level
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 12

    Re: Just for giggles

    I don't mind that situation if Texas were to leave (go independent or PAC-12 or whatever). But I think the ISU will make more money in the Big 12 as it is right now than in that 16 team Big East. I actually like the way the Big 12 is set up right now. I love the idea of everyone playing everyone to see who is the best. I don't really like the idea of "Super-conferences" were you play 1 or 2 teams from the opposite division. That is basically a smaller conference with affiliations for non conference games, I don't get the point.



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 33,260, Level: 56
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 990
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    3,070
    Points
    33,260
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 0

    Re: Just for giggles

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    If in June of 2012 The Big East would approach the remaining Big 8 schools and offer membership, how would you feel?

    Big East West
    OU
    OSU
    KU
    KSU
    Mizzou
    ISU
    TCU
    Houston

    *this format allows Former Big 8 schools to have access to Texas recruiting
    If Texas goes independent and the remaining Big 12 blows up, there's no way this would happen. Texas A&M is not going to just get left out in the cold. Conferences would be hot after them along with Oklahoma.


    ABC - Always Be Closing

  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 483,979, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    19,020
    Points
    483,979
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 95

    Re: Just for giggles

    I think it would make more sense for the remaining Big 12 schools to poach the Big East if Texas leaves.

    The remaining ADs need to somehow put the screws to Texas and say "Hey: if you're going to go it alone, let us know NOW". Then rather than trying to find a home somewhere else, talk to the top 3 Big East programs, and bring them West for a 12 team league. ESPN wants to stave off Armageddon, and the 9 team Big 12 is worth more than the current 9 team Big East. Imagine this conference:

    South Division:
    OU
    OSU
    TCU
    TTU
    A&M
    Baylor

    North Division:
    ISU
    KU
    KSU
    Mizzou
    WVU
    Louisville

    This conference would add a nice boost to the Big 12 footprint. You could easily boot Baylor and pick up another school outside of Texas, or not add TCU and put in a school like USF. Texas won't join another league, so I don't think you'd see a "race to 16". The Big East could add any combo of Houston, UCF, Memphis, and ECU in a heartbeat and be right back where they are and probably still be a BCS league.

    There's already a 9 team BCS league, and the 9 team Big 12 would be a stronger league than that one, and the footprint isn't altered with Texas leaving (although a marquee school is). OU and A&M can carry a conference more than anyone in the Big East.
    A win-win solution.


    Last edited by Al_4_State; 05-04-2011 at 03:28 PM.
    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 93,814, Level: 95
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,236
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acgclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,633
    Points
    93,814
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 226
    Given: 38

    Re: Just for giggles

    Boomer, long term your scenario would probably be the most stable possibility for ISU. I don't believe it's likely to happen, but if it were, I would be pretty happy. We probably wouldn't make as much money as we would with UT/A&M, but we could still command quite a bit of money and the stability might outweigh the cash difference.



  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 197,770, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jbhtexas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    10,676
    Points
    197,770
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 72

    Re: Just for giggles

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    I get that, not trying for sympathy but i'm getting the sneaking suspicion OU leadership was mislead by Texas leaders in June.
    How was OU misled by UT?


    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

    Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 97,429, Level: 97
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,621
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    everyyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    5,879
    Points
    97,429
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 27

    Re: Just for giggles

    Man, if an OU fan is worried we should probably be crapping our pants. But, I already did that last year and am over it. We'll be alright either way, I think.


    ALL IN
    www.cyclonejerseys.com
    Always buying historically relevant ISU gear

  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 26,163, Level: 49
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 387
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Sloup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    1,188
    Points
    26,163
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Just for giggles

    I still don't understand the logic behind the "16 team conferences are inevitable" idea.



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 62,469, Level: 77
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 781
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Ficklone02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    City by the Bay
    Posts
    3,907
    Points
    62,469
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 11

    Re: Just for giggles

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post


    Please tell me you're kidding.

    First, what happened To Texas, A&M, Tech, and Baylor - did they just vaporize or something?

    Second, unless forced, Oklahoma is never parting from Texas ever again. I wish people would just put this whole "original Big 8" thing to bed - it's never happening again. Ever.

    Third, TCU will not guarantee ISU continued recruiting ties to Texas. TCU just isn't visible enough in the state - nobody cares about TCU.

    Finally, no Big East option will ever be more profitable for ISU long term than any Big 12 option (assuming Texas isn't part of that Big East option). And considering what the Big 12 got for its second tier TV rights, and what the Pac 12 got for its first tier TV rights, and knowing that the Big 12 is worth more than the Pac 12, meaning our first tier TV contract will be worth more than the Pac 12's, it means this conference is in line to earn incredible bank when our first tier TV contract is renegotiated, and it also means the Big 12 Conference is going to be stable for years to come. It also means that Nebraska is probably going to regret bailing on the Big 12 (Colorado would probably think the same thing if they weren't high on their girl Mary J and satisfying their incessant munchies with organic granola...).
    Overreact much? And, I can't believe you spent that much time on a response.



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 29,544, Level: 52
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,312
    Points
    29,544
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

    Re: Just for giggles

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    I get that, not trying for sympathy but i'm getting the sneaking suspicion OU leadership was mislead by Texas leaders in June.
    Now you're starting to act like an Aggie with Little Bro Syndrome.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM