Motherboard fried, need new power supply.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pro
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 312
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 200
    Given: 333

Motherboard fried, need new power supply.

I figure we have enough computer guys on here. I have a 6-year old Gateway desktop, 832GM to be exact. It had an issue with the motherboard and needed a new one. So I've got that on order. While looking into the plugs on the board I found one of the 4-pin plugs from the power supply has browned female connector on one of the four. I've heard that it's not usually an issue of a power surge from external doing this, so I'm assuming it was the bad motherboard that caused it. Anyway I assume I should replace the power supply as well.

My question, I found a power supply on craigslist, Corsair 450 Power Supply, for only $50, in the box new.
    Will I have an issue putting this in my tower? I'm replacing a 305 watt power supply with this.
    Will it be too big?
    Too much power? (Is that even possible?)

I'm a real novice to this stuff, so any advice would be great. Thanks!

Pro
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,467
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 3

Re: Motherboard fried, need new power supply.

Get a new computer. Not trying to be trite.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 451
    Given: 656

Yeah, 6 years old. You could buy a new one for probably $300 and then everything is new.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,345
    Given: 939

Unless you're savvy at building computers, just go out and buy one. For the amount you're going to spend on a new power supply and motherboard (probably around $200), you can get a new computer with other newer components such as a higher quality GPU. A 6-year old Gateway desktop probably isn't worth upgrading unless you're looking to make a major project out of it.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Pro
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 725
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I agree with those above... How much did you already spend on the out-dated processor for the 6 year old computer??

If you know enough to put that in yourself then you would be better off just re-building the entire thing with new components and making it much better for probably just another $100 or so...

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It's the fact that I like the components of this one, TV tuner, DVD burner, etc. I'm not super attached to this one, but because it was a Gateway, I only have all-included OS and software CDs. They said that the only way I could reuse those installation disks was to have the same motherboard. I got the motherboard for $30 and the power supply is $50. I don't really ever use this computer, but it has the things above that I use to convert home videos from tape to disk.

So, I know I could buy something much better to replace it for just a bit more, the added OS cost and software just isn't feasible for how little I use this one.

If you're curious, here is the computer: Gateway Support - 4660*Gateway 832GM Media Center Computer

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,345
    Given: 939

The DVD burner would easily be able to be installed in the new system, and if the TV tuner is on a separate card (not integrated to the fried motherboard) you should be able to move that to the new system as well. In fact, most new computers come with DVD burners standard nowadays anyway, so that in itself shouldn't be that much of an issue.

If you're worried about the drivers for those being on the original software discs, that shouldn't be a concern for you - Windows 7 should be able to find those drivers on the internet for you.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    The DVD burner would easily be able to be installed in the new system, and if the TV tuner is on a separate card (not integrated to the fried motherboard) you should be able to move that to the new system as well. In fact, most new computers come with DVD burners standard nowadays anyway, so that in itself shouldn't be that much of an issue.

If you're worried about the drivers for those being on the original software discs, that shouldn't be a concern for you - Windows 7 should be able to find those drivers on the internet for you.
    All good points, and I appreciate them very much. Let me put it this way, I don't want another desktop. Frankly I just want to get this one up and running, get the rest of my videos burned get my inbox from Yahoo back, (I used Norton 360 and had "everything" backed up on an external drive but found that I didn't back up the current inbox), then give this to an organization that needs a computer or sell it for $75-$100. Then buy a laptop to use.

So back to my original question, can I put the PS I referenced above in my tower?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by stateofmind View Post
    All good points, and I appreciate them very much. Let me put it this way, I don't want another desktop. Frankly I just want to get this one up and running, get the rest of my videos burned get my inbox from Yahoo back, (I used Norton 360 and had "everything" backed up on an external drive but found that I didn't back up the current inbox), then give this to an organization that needs a computer or sell it for $75-$100. Then buy a laptop to use.

So back to my original question, can I put the PS I referenced above in my tower?
    Assuming that the motherboard connector matches, and that it has all the connectors you need for drives and things, yes. If you aren't sure about connections, check the PSU out on amazon and Newegg. Between the two, they should have pictures or descriptions of just about everything to do with it.

You can't die. That would upset the equilibrium in the Cave.
    Warning: Posts contain 98% post-sarcastic content.
    Hoiball

Legend
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 451
    Given: 656

I can tell you that too much power isn't an issue. Just make sure that the new PS has all the right connections for this old mobo.

Pro
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 112

Are you in Des Moines? I have a 500w power supply I'd sell you for half of that. It's used but wasn't used very long and is in good shape. PM me if you're interested and I'll dig up the specs when I get home.

EDIT: I have a lot of old computer stuff so if you need anything else let me know and I'll throw it in. Very flexible on price for any or all of it. Really looking to get rid of a ton of it but if it can help a fellow clone let me know and I'll see what I can find!

Last edited by Boxerdaddy; 05-03-2011 at 10:57 AM.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks guys, the guy at MyOwnComputerGuy in Ankeny said that any ATX should do, but I wanted your opinions. So I'm looking for an ATX. Another post on craigslist has a CompUSA 400W PS for only $15, new in box. I'm sure it's crappy, but better than what's in there now I would suppose.

Walk On
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If you have an ATX case and you get an ATX power supply then installing it is very simple...sounds like you have already removed the old power supply just screw the new PS into the case...4 screws in the back, be sure not to drop the PS onto the motherboard in the process and then plug it into the motherboard...all done. Installing the new motherboard can be trickier...

Cyclone For Life

Starter
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 699
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't know if this has been brought up yet but Motherboards rarely go bad; power supplies do. Frequently. If you noticed a browned connector from the PS I would say your PS went bad and damaged the Mobo. Replacing the Mobo will not fix anything and if you hook it to that existing PS if will probably get fried too. So you need to replace both.

As others have said, if its 6 years old and you have to replace both then just dump it and get something new.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm typing this on my new motherboard-loaded PC. It is awesome, since the ServerSupply.com sent me a motherboard with DDR2 RAM slots instead of the DDR that I had. Nice.

Boxerdaddy had a nice power supply but didn't have the right connections. So I'm using the old power supply. I'm going to buy a new one, just know now what works and what doesn't. Thanks for the advice, but I'm very pleased with the $30 motherboard and $30 of new RAM.