Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 361
    Given: 107

Road Game Roster

Just kind of looking for a good off-season topic, but I thought it'd be interesting to see what other stadiums you guys have been to, and what you thought of your experience there. Maybe this thread could end up being a good "go-to" for people to research future road trips.

Big XII:
    -Mizzou: Was here for the infamous 2005 game. Fans were pretty laid back/ambivalent before the game, and there were a couple of dicks afterwards, but overall they were pretty good. We tailgated in a gravel lot south of the stadium that was pretty scaled back by ISU standards, but fun nonetheless. Didn't get a good feel for the town because we left Ames at 3AM Saturday morning and headed back after the game.

-K-State: Went here in 2006. Set up is very similar to ISU, but smaller and slightly less convenient. They don't start quite as early either (4 hrs as opposed to 6). There was a major redneck/rural feel to the area around BSFS. However, it was a lot of fun, and KSU fans were pretty good. Don't remember taking much, if any crap at all. Could have been the 2 straight wins against them coming into it.

-Nebraska: Went here in 2007. Worst tailgate set up I've ever seen, yet we still had a good time. People were friendly before the game, and condescendingly nice afterwards. It was a little irritating, but not too bad. Memorial Stadium is incredible, and its a great atmosphere for a game. Overall, the scene is far too serious for my liking. Almost sucks the fun out of football.

-Baylor: Went here in 2008. Have almost nothing good to say about it, outside of the fact that the parking might be even more convenient than ISU's. General public can park right outside the gates of Floyd Casey. However, they're fans are completely disinterested in tailgating, and the very few that came out were far from hospitable. They were aloof, arrogant, and looked at Iowans as some kind of vermin. Seriously, don't go here unless it's A) one of the few ISU games you will be able to see that year, or B) you're dead set on going to all Big XII stadiums.

-Texas A&M: Went here in 2009. Fantastic. Set up is a lot less convenient than ISU, but it has the same open, relaxed feeling. People were incredibly nice and basically bent over backwards to get you drunk and full of fantastic food. Kyle Field is impressive. The cultishness can definitely rub you after a bit, and the social norms are extremely unpredictable. My buddy let a single cuss word out at Kyle Field, and was nearly assaulted by an old woman, who then called the cops. However, at the tailgate, those drunk Texans were cussing up a storm. Apparently they actually feel the stadium is sacred. Not a problem if you're aware of it going on, but we felt pretty bad about it as we meant no harm or offense to anybody and nearly got arrested over it. Had a good time in Northgate that night. Similar to Campustown (sort of run down looking, but a lot of fun).

-Texas. Went here in 2010 (stealth bragging alert). Even better than A&M. They were incredible hosts both before the game and after. No **** talk regarding the loss, just an honest "you kicked our arse, good luck on the rest of the season". Austin is an amazing town. The tailgating set up however, is less than ideal. Its basically a free for all in finding a spot on campus, or in downtown Austin (which is all built up commercial property, like any city). Thankfully, there's a group of ISU alums that sets up one HELL of a tailgate there. Can't give those guys enough props for throwing a good time. $10 bought you all the barbecue (and it was amazing) that you could eat, a full bloody mary/screwdriver bar, and all the Landshark you could drink.

Non-Big XII
    -Minnesota: Metrodome. Went here for an Iowa/MN game in the late 90's, so I wasn't really paying much attention to the tailgate scene. I remember the adults just drank in our family friend's motor home, which we parked in some random lot downtown. The Metrodome blows for college football, and this is a totally irrelevant report, given the opening of TCF Bank Stadium.

-Iowa: Not saying anything you've never heard before. Iowa City is a poor tailgating set up, but you can have a lot of fun if you know someone who has a good spot. I've been to 5 Iowa/ISU games there, and about 3-4 other various Iowa games. I took a TON of abuse in 2002, 2004, and 2006. I didn't take much crap at all in 2008 and 2010, and had more fun because of it. Some of the worst crap I've gotten there was in 2009 for the UNI game (when UNI damn near won it), and I was supporting UNI. Since I have family friend who have a good set up, I always enjoy myself there, but I could see how someone visiting from a random Big 10 school would absolutely hate it.

Last edited by Al_4_State; 05-02-2011 at 06:22 PM.
    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Starter
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

Re: Road Game Roster

Saw my first game at the Horseshoe at tOSU in October. Man that was an experience, 2nd row student section amongst 105,000. I love Jack Trice, but needless to say Im excited to start Grad School in Columbus this fall

Rookie
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

I've been to a number of games @KSU as my wife is a grad. When I was younger I really liked going to aggieville and still do to an extent. But I think their fans are ******.

Legend
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 30

Big 12

Nebraska: Like you said TG there absolutely blows, I have probably been to a dozen games there. Instead the stadium is pretty nice, fans sucks especially if they lose. But that has a lot of bias there.

Okie State: The drive there from Ames blows but Stillwater is pretty fun and the stadium was top notch. Fans were awesome, TG was okay the day of the game. But 3 old OSU lineman took us to a bar where some rich guy was(some big donor/ not T boone), but he bought us drinks all night and was a nice guy. The girls are freaking hot and the drive through liquor store was awesome.

Mizzou: Pretty good nothing outstanding.

Non Big 12

Illinois: TG is mostly Alumni and the College Crowd does the bars before the game. Besides that its a pretty good time. This is a homer call though as well.

Rose Bowl: Best Venue I have ever seen a FB game in. TG was awesome as well. I saw Oregon/Ohio State.

Iowa: TG sucks, Fans suck, entire city sucks.

Pro
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 698
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 0

I enjoyed road trips to Mizzou and K-State. The towns and bar scenes reminded me a lot of Ames.

Nebraska outside the stadium has zero atmosphere. Inside is a totally different story...I look forward to when Iowa fans (who think Kinnick Stadium is God's gift) gets a load of a frenzied Memorial Stadium.

ABC - Always Be Closing

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyBroncos View Post
    I enjoyed road trips to Mizzou and K-State. The towns and bar scenes reminded me a lot of Ames.

Nebraska outside the stadium has zero atmosphere. Inside is a totally different story...I look forward to when Iowa fans (who think Kinnick Stadium is God's gift) gets a load of a frenzied Memorial Stadium.
    My initial thoughts once I got in Memorial Stadium were "Kinnick has nothing at all on this".

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 277
    Given: 122

Stadiums i've been to for games:
    Big 12
    Mizzou- Kind of a dirty\dingy feeling stadium.
    Kansas- Did they find the one hill in kansas to build this campus on?
    Texas - Tailgating was good, everyone was very friendly.. until my aggie brother showed up.
    Texas A&M- Very friendly tailgate, we were invited for food\drinks by many as we went through. Great gameday atmosphere, though things definitely get a bit cultish there.

Non Big 12 college
    Iowa- There's historic, and there's old. Iowa's is the latter. Most here know the gist of this place.
    ASU
    (basically places ISU has played)

NFL
    Kansas City

College Stadiums ive been to for other events:
    Minnesota- Great venue, especially if you get yourself into the club sections.
    Texas Tech-Middle of ******* nowhere. Other than that, not a bad stadium.
    Northern Illinois
    Western Michigan
    Wisconsin- I really want to hit this one for a game sometime. Great venue.
    Nebraska- If giant endzones are your thing...
    Alamodome
    Wichita State
    Louisiana-Lafayette
    Rose Bowl

NFL stadiums for other events:
    Gillette Stadium
    RCA Dome
    Lucas Oil
    Metrodome
    Invesco
    Georgia Dome
    Fawcett Stadium

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 364
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 19

never been to an away game unfortunately. I have seen all (former) big 12 teams play though. Most more than once.

Addict
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 456
    Given: 136

I'm interested in any information people have about Mizzou and K-State - I'm looking at making the trip for one or both of those games this fall.

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 149
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 68

Champaign Illinois (Ill vs OSU 2006)
    OSU fans took over that stadium. IIRC Juice Williams came off the bench, or split time that day. OSU won 14-7. Some sort of native American activists were protesting the mascot or team...something like that.

Gotta say I loved the set up. The stadium has an old brick facade, and old style upperdeck/overhang. It somewhat reminds me of Lincoln when you walk around the concourse inside. Tons of parking lots close by...probably donors, but tons of happening right near the stadium. Tons of grass and tents near the stadium.

Memorial stadium in Lawrence(2007 ISU/KU). Beautiful campus you have to walk through for a freaking mile just to get to the stadium. Take the shuttle or else pay to park in someones front yard. Cripes! Stadium is nothing special, but the atmosphere outside was ok. Nobody really acknowledged the Cyclones fans that day. They were all about being ranked #2. Some college kids yelled out to me "Bret Meyer 69s Todd Blythe".

Mizzou(07/09), KSU(08), and Lincoln(09) have already been covered here.
    I did have a buddy at Lincoln with a camper parked near the stadium in a private lot where alcohol is allowed, so it made my experience pretty good.

Mizzou fans had tons of compliments about CPR before the game in 09, and were actually concerned about the ISU Basketball team. joke was on them right!

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post
    I'm interested in any information people have about Mizzou and K-State - I'm looking at making the trip for one or both of those games this fall.
    I've heard that the area we tailgated at for Missouri is no longer there. Might be going down this fall, and one of the guys in the party is a recent Mizzou Alum, so we'll be tailgating in their usual spot.

At KSU, its really easy to find a spot. The closest spots to Bill Snyder Stadium are donor/student parking, but general public are just to the north and east along Kimball Ave. We were west of Denison Ave, right along Kimball. Its a sheep pasture most of the year, so there were turds everywhere. See the map.
    Manhattan, KS - Google Maps

Addict
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 192
    Given: 838

colorado
    kansas
    missouri
    texas
    iowa
    oklahoma
    oklahoma state
    nebraska
    Arrowhead
    metrodome
    rca dome
    mile high
    james edwards dome
    superdome

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 931
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 5

Metrodome - sucks. nothing more to say.
    Kinnick - I like how close you sit to the field. Still cramped though. Drinking can get out of hand.
    Notre Dame - Nicest non-professional stadium I've been too. Lots of history. Great school. Fans were nice.
    Kansas - Dump. Nothing more to say. Was a long time ago.
    Northwestern - Dump. Tiny. Tailgating far away. Always cold when I've gone. Literally the worst stadium I've been too.
    Jack Trice - Small. Needs work. Good parking lot. Really needs that end zone done.
    Nebraska - Big. Tailgating sucks. I think the stadium is overrated. All the seats are in the end zones and there are only like 2 exits so it takes forever to get out. Plus the school and state suck.

Soldier (old/new) - Prefer the old soldier field. New one is nice and new.
    Old Meadowlands - Sterile. Was kind of crappy when I went a few years ago. New Jersey is a sh!thole.
    Invesco - Very nice. Big.
    Raymond James (Tampa) - Cool stadium. Really impressed. It's very vertical. The upper deck seats are way up there.

Last edited by canker2323; 05-02-2011 at 08:50 PM.

Rookie
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Texas - nightmare to find parking if you are not a donor. Found a pretty good spot and set up shop. ISU fans filled the small lot. Good tailgate, great stadium experience (it was the first year for godzillatron and the tornado game). One fan talked crap the whole day, everyone else was cool.

Kansas - absolute worst tailgating ever. EVER. Cant remember too much about the 1st half of the game due to blacking out. Fans were waiting for basketball season on the way out. 2nd worst stadium set up I have ever seen.

Kansas State - We were there for a lacrosse tournament so I cant comment on the tailgating. Stadium set up is average and the fans were pretty cool. Aggieville was a blast, so I would put them up there on the list.

Missouri - Tailgating was laid back, but we got there early (by their standards) and got into the lot. Others were on the side of the highway, yep, tailgating on a highway. Fans were decent (it was the game we knocked Brad Smith out and in came this unknown backup named Chase). F-ing sucked walking out of there.

Northern Illinois - No porta potties anywhere in sight. Vistors could not park near the stadium. We got right into the lots, only to find out that we beat security there and had to pack back up. they had no idea what was coming. Stadium was entirely gen. Admin. By far and hands down the worst tailgate/stadium set up I have ever seen.

Kinnick - I went in 02 (parked in the field house lots), 04 (parked in olive court) and again in 06. Total in three visits I have lost/had to replace a hood, windsheild, front grill, headlight assembly, grill (the cooking kind), 1 flag pole, and had a friend receive 12 stiches in his foot from a glass beer bottle being thrown at us. 06 I was almost arrested for "assaulting" a fan in our section. I was escorted out, only to be brought back up. The group behind us wouldn't tell the cops the truth because, and I quote, "We have to sit here all year". the guy in front of us was honest and told the cops that he came at me, and I refused to get into it with him. I have not returned to kinnink and do not plan to anytime in the near future for a game. I honestly refer to it as the butt-hole of the midwest. 2nd to Nebraska the fans are the worst I have ever been around. And it is the old one's not the students who are the biggest dicks.

I am honestly debating going to the Nebraska vs Iowa game just to watch the douchery first hand.

Prospect
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 295
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Iowa - numerous games including the streak ending win!!!!
    Nebby - numerous games
    Kansas - numerous games
    Mizzou - twice 91 and the year Troy Davis broke 2000 yds.
    UNLV - both games
    Texas - this past season for the epic win
    Texas A & M - 2001 this one still burns me because we outplayed but could not kick FGs
    Colorado - 2000 Sage and Hayward lead ISU to victory in mile high country
    Oklahoma - 2006 Not much fun... Will never go back.
    Army - 2005 Great Game...Great atmosphere. Should be on everyone's bucket list
    Minnesota (dome) - several games...lousy atmosphere. Excited to see a game @ TCF
    Notre Dame - 2009 vs. Boston College - same day as the historic win @ nebby. Never forget the text I received about the win. It was during the game. I went ballistic. People around me thought I was ******** the way I screamed & danced in the aisle.

I am planning on going to UConn this year. If all goes to plan I will head to Boston after the game to catch the BC vs Duke game the next day and a Red Sox game on Sunday.