Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 1

Lets Overreact Everyone

I'm disappointed with the loss, but I see a lot of correctable errors. Also remember that we were playing a very experienced team that was comfortable with the play style.

Our OL is very young. Their penalties killed our chances. Cut down on those false starts and holds and we win this game. Here are the penalties:

Holding penalty negates a 10 yard run on 1st down. That 1st and 17 couldn't be overcome.
    Holding penalty causes us to go from 2nd and 8 to 2nd and 18. I believe there was a first down on the 2nd and 8 play as well. Drive ends in missed field goal.
    False start give us 2nd and 15. Able to overcome for a TD.
    Fals start gives us 2nd and 15. Leads to a punt.
    False start gives us 1st and 15, Leads to apunt.

Lets take a look at some 1st half situations.

2nd and 2
    2nd and 10
    2nd and 3
    3rd and 1
    2nd and 4
    2nd and 9
    3rd and 5
    2nd and 8
    3rd and 5
    2nd and 7
    3rd and 4
    2nd and 8
    2nd and 2
    3rd and 1

Those are every single 2nd and 3rd down play we had in the first half that were not affected by penalties. No third downs greater than 5 yards to go. Only 4 first down plays that were less than 3 yards. Those are very, very good numbers. Penalties and turnovers killed us. Not to bash the pass game, but both those TO's were on passing plays.

2nd half now.

First drive was perfect with the playaction. Rushing in the first half set that up beautifully.

Next drive was halted before it started with the holding penalty that negated a 9 yard run.

Third drive was going well. Bass for 1, Bass for 9, Bass for 5, Interception.

Next drive, down 23-16. Bass for 4, Bass for 3 for a nice 3rd down and 3 play. Definately managable. The Bates play was probably not a great call at this time of the season, but I like the thought. In the future, he might be able to audible that.

Next drive had a 2nd and 6 and 3rd and 4. After a first down, a reverse for a yard and 2 incompletions led to a punt. This is really the first series of the game that stalled out on its own, without penalties or turnover doing so.

The last real drive was just passing trying to score fast. Didn't work.

What I'm saying is that if we can cut down on the mental mistakes, we are in very good shape. It was the penalties that put is in bad situations and turnovers that stalled drives. If you can get to less than 10 minutes to go in the game before you get a 3rd down and long that was caused by a lack of execution, you are doing something right.

This was all done with an offensive line that will only improve.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Lets Overreact Everyone

The message says I've given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours. Otherwise, you'd get some, too.

The best thing I saw last night, was that our running game was able to move the ball, semi-at will. And the play calling was pretty decent on offense, until the mistakes nullified the decent play calling.

"It's not how many times you fall down, it's how many times you get up, that counts."

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 438
    Given: 646

I think you hit the nail on the head but I do think there is one big problem we are going to have all year and that is Meyer. I know it's not a popular thing to say but he's just not that good.

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 731
    Given: 1,496

After my drunken pout last night (and got it out of my system), this is a very logical approach, and has me mildly exCYted for the UNI game (which we have 8 days to prepare and get better).

But since I have been going to ISU football games before I was 1 (1973), it is hard to get the negatives out of my head ..... Unless I am baited I will bite my tongue and not post them.

- keep.

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 428
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 546
    Given: 115

The OL does seem to have the potential to be much better than the past couple of years.

They did get a decent push from time to time running the ball, which is something we haven't seen for several seasons.

The OL just needs to clean up some of their penalties, which is what you should expect from such an inexperienced group at this point.

Bass is obviosly good enough to give people problems if the OL can keep coming together.

QB is a concern. I don't think Meyer is a bad QB, but I don't think he is a good QB either. I don't feel like he can put the team on his shoulders and deliver in crunch time.

The real problem however, is our Defense. I just didn't see much to be excited about last night. Our DL isn't good. Our LB's are fast but not physical enough, and our DB's were very hit or miss (that is not good for DB's).

Shaggy............well, he makes me want to puke...............again.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 152

The reason I have for optimism is that it's our senior QB who made some of the most glaring mistakes last night, not the "unknowns" we had been worrying about coming into the year. I'm not saying that it's a good thing that he made some bad choices, but at least we all know he's very capable of turning things around.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 248
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 142

We'll get better and soon. I am 100% confident in that.

NUF said

Addict
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 311
    Given: 172

I agree with everything you said clone52. I couldn't have said it better myself.

And I'm still wondering if a lot of people just weren't giving Kent St. the credit they deserve. They have a lot of experience and depth. That combination means, if you are going to make mistakes. They are going to capitalize on them. In the end, our mistakes is what killed us. And then KSU did what they had to to win. I really think this was a tougher game than we needed to start the season. I guess, reading the last couple of weeks it didn't seem like most people thought there was any way we could lose this game. 6-6 last year with the depth they had coming back, isn't a team I'd like to play right out of the gate.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,189
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    I think you hit the nail on the head but I do think there is one big problem we are going to have all year and that is Meyer. I know it's not a popular thing to say but he's just not that good.
    That will not be a problem all year and here is why. The new staff feels no loyalty to him. The fan base certainly isn't going to cry foul if he plays less. If he continues to play poorly, he will be replaced. That is unless the coaches don't think anyone can do any better.

Frankly, I think our running game will good enough to warrent a limited passing attack.