Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 0

My Thoughts from being at Jack Trice tonight

I was there tonight...a great crowd, great support, just a head scratcher of a game.

First, JJ Bass is a very good player, and you had better not try to arm tackle him. Unfortunately, the rest of his offensive teammates weren't at his level on Thursday night.

I don't know what Bret Meyer stats were, but his two picks were pretty ugly. The DB's jumped those routes and were sitting there for nearly a full second waiting to make the pick's. Not good at all.

I was very underwhelmed with Iowa State's offensive attack. I didn't see anything that I expected. This team was vanilla, and it wasn't because they were saving pages of the playbook. No way. Bret Meyer is a better thrower on the run, IMO, rolling pockets. There was very little of that. There wasn't as much spread formation on Thursday either. I think that is going to change between now and the Iowa game. I think they go back to a drawing board some on that front. i expect them to look different offensively by the Iowa game.

They had to keep tight ends inside to help block, because the new OL is a work in progress. They looked good at times, but not consistent at all. I don't know that they get consistent by the Iowa game. I felt this aspect would be one of the reasons we would see more spreads and rollouts, but we didn't.

Todd Blythe had better finish plays as a blocker, because he cost Bass some yards and some possible long TD's.

On defense, Iowa State brought some heat on the first few possessions, but the rest of the game, they played it very conservatively. And Kent State ran up the middle every time they wanted to, which is the most demoralizing thing to a defense. Kent State chose to outsmart themselves a lot, they should have just hammered things between the tackles. Their linebackers did not look great tonight, outside of Banks early on.

Shaggy missed a 44 yarder and a 47 yarder. Not good for his confidence to start his last year.

ISU's punter is solid, that's a good thing.

If this game is any indication of the new kickoff rule affecting the game, we are in for a lot of fun this year. A lot of solid returns in this game.

ISU had the two turnovers, but KSU had two turnovers in the redzone...one of them was on the ISU 5 yard line. The score could have been a lot worse for ISU in this game.

Phil Steele picked KSU to win this game, and to win the MAC's Eastern division. ISU was a 3.5 point favorite, at home, which is basically a pickem. KSU returned 8 starters on O and D. Their OL looked solid, they were excellent in pass blocking as well as running up the middle.

I think ISU will make a lot of changes before the Iowa game, but I they don't have the 2005 DL on this year's team.

Last edited by JonDMiller; 08-31-2007 at 12:20 AM.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,092
    Given: 923

Re: My Thoughts from being at Jack Trice tonight

Jon, I agree with what you've said. I would say the most dissapointing part of the game was the last 10 minutes watching our players show no urgency whatsoever. We would slowly jog in and out of huddles, and you could just tell that they weren't ****** off that they were losing to Kent State. Basically we looked like a new team with new players. I was very upset with Bret tonight, he knows better than to throw those passes. Also, why did we run the ball so much being two scores down?

@RandomGeoFacts

Pro
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,378
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

"Also, why did we run the ball so much being two scores down?"

That's a good question...perhaps because they are not sold on the players having the offense yet...pass protection issues?

This offense was not anything like what I expected to see.

Starter
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 257
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 221

I completely agree about the lack of urgency with ten minutes to go. Someone (like Meyer) needs to get them moving and fired up at that point.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post
    "Also, why did we run the ball so much being two scores down?"

That's a good question...perhaps because they are not sold on the players having the offense yet...pass protection issues?

This offense was not anything like what I expected to see.
    I thought ISU's playcalling was way too conservative when they were down by 9 in the 4th. Made me happy because for a while KSU was passing way too much and getting the snap off with 10-15 seconds still on the play clock.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The game was more or less over at that point but I think a few players our Defense wasn't even set when they snapped the ball. We were being sluggish getting out there, and they were flying out of the huddles and snapping right away - I was really expecting better hustle, endurance and mental toughness

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree with your assessment Jon. My father in law and friend Brian and I got to meet with you this evening prior to the game and really appreciated how down to earth you were and willing to talk out football.

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Starter Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

yes, the offense was very frustrating to watch. all offseason we heard it was going to be basketball on grass, but it was far from it. bret just isn't a leader, he had some success early in his career because in part of the veteran leadership already on the field, now he is the man, but he just is not a leader. they ****** it down their legs in the first half with good field position and the pick in the 2nd half sealed it. the defense played decently coming up with 3 turnovers which saved the game from being ugly. lets hope arnaud has some fire in him because we need a qb with fire. while tate may of had a little too much of it, i think it is better to have too much rather than too little. whatever im gettin loaded

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 199
    Given: 197

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower57 View Post
    yes, the offense was very frustrating to watch. all offseason we heard it was going to be basketball on grass, but it was far from it.
    Where did you hear that? Not from Chizik or McFarland. Everything they've said up to this point revolved around establishing the run.

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I dont believe Myer will be starting QB for long. Those two picks were as bad as they get. Meyer sure didnt look like he was a senior out there and I believe that JJ Bass looked like more of a leader in the huddle than Meyer. GC will being making changes soon...this offense is a pound on the ground to set up play action. Maybe I'm being too hard on Meyer I guess film and posts to come will tell. JJ BASS looked great what a talent, the defense looked very disciplined early..overall this team will improve over the season and get much better.

Pro
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,378
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by wartknight View Post
    Where did you hear that? Not from Chizik or McFarland. Everything they've said up to this point revolved around establishing the run.
    That's true. I think what many of us in the media have felt, and some fans, is that ISU would be very challenged to run the football at the outset with the new OL...and that a spread offense that threw to establish the run, quick passes, etc, would be a logical offense, given McFarland's history.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 199
    Given: 197

Our running game was the bright spot tonight. I think we got 160 or so. I know its not a ton, but compared to what we're used to...

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

All-Star
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 294
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 6

I was there tonight and the most evident things I saw was a lack of pressure up front on defense and Meyer not pulling the trigger quick enough when given time. Throw the ball to the playmakers - all good quarterbacks rely on their receivers to make plays on throws in the area. He needs to be better. Thank god for Bass or I'd really be down.

Starter Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

well yes, Chiz and McFarland talked about establising the run but the media has led me astray, especially Jon ******** (who doesn't know what the hell he talking about). all i seemed to hear about was Wallace Franklin this, and spread offense that....i guess not. I don't think the coaches really know who their starters are yet, all a learning experience.

Pro
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,189
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 102
    Given: 5

The running game gained 160 yards because we ran 75 percent of the time. The thing I didn't get was why Meyer went away from Blythe. He threw to him three times to start the second half and in three minutes touchdown. He only dropped two passes, one which would have been an unbelievable grab for a TD and another TD where he has interfered with. Should have been throwing to him 15 times in the game. Part of this was due to the line too.