Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36
  1. #1
    Rookie
    Points: 23,526, Level: 46
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    cjclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    418
    Points
    23,526
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Iowa Court: Losing is No Reason to Fire Football Coach

    I thought this was an interesting article. What happens if it extends to college?

    Iowa Court: Losing is No Reason to Fire Football Coach | KCRG-TV9 | Cedar Rapids, Iowa News, Sports, and Weather | Local News



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 728,614, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,156
    Points
    728,614
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,118
    Given: 586

    Re: Iowa Court: Losing is No Reason to Fire Football Coach

    I can't imagine any scenario where he would be due any more than the remainder of his contract.



  3. #3
    Rookie
    Points: 23,526, Level: 46
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    cjclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    418
    Points
    23,526
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa Court: Losing is No Reason to Fire Football Coach

    Does tenure apply to coaching?



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 80,788, Level: 88
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,162
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RyCy04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,336
    Points
    80,788
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 12

    Re: Iowa Court: Losing is No Reason to Fire Football Coach

    No child left behind extends to adults now.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 322,012, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    8,204
    Points
    322,012
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,300
    Given: 306

    Re: Iowa Court: Losing is No Reason to Fire Football Coach

    At the risk of bringing the scorn upon myself, I don't think it's that horrible of a decision. If you read it closely, essentially what happened was that the school district did a poor job of documenting how he wasn't meeting expectations. On the surface, it would seem that *THEY'RE LOSING* would be good enough, but think of ISU Men's basketball....I believe Fred is doing the right things, but they still lost a lot of games, a lot of them closely. Admittedly, this guy wasn't a first year coach, but the judgement sounds like it was because they had poor documentation of what he wasn't doing to meet expectations.



  6. #6
    Legend
    Points: 267,048, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    14,197
    Points
    267,048
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 586
    Given: 147

    Re: Iowa Court: Losing is No Reason to Fire Football Coach

    I think high school is a little different, as there is no such thing as recruiting.


    Last edited by chuckd4735; 04-29-2011 at 03:51 PM.

  7. #7
    Prospect
    Points: 3,391, Level: 16
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    29
    Points
    3,391
    Level
    16
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa Court: Losing is No Reason to Fire Football Coach

    A quick scan of the IAHSAA football standings reveals Jesup finished 2-34 from 05-08.

    2005- 1-8
    2006- 1-8
    2007- 0-9
    2008- 0-9

    Imagine you're the principal or athletic director and you have an athletic son in junior high. Would you want your son to play on a team that had won exactly two games in the past four years? Should have been handled better, but, if you are a coach and have gone 2-34 in the past four seasons, conventional wisdom would lead one to step down and let someone else have a shot at the rodeo.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 728,614, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,156
    Points
    728,614
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,118
    Given: 586

    Re: Iowa Court: Losing is No Reason to Fire Football Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    At the risk of bringing the scorn upon myself, I don't think it's that horrible of a decision. If you read it closely, essentially what happened was that the school district did a poor job of documenting how he wasn't meeting expectations. On the surface, it would seem that *THEY'RE LOSING* would be good enough, but think of ISU Men's basketball....I believe Fred is doing the right things, but they still lost a lot of games, a lot of them closely. Admittedly, this guy wasn't a first year coach, but the judgement sounds like it was because they had poor documentation of what he wasn't doing to meet expectations.
    I see your point, as there is a protocol that you usually have to follow to dismiss someone. However, if I was running the school, the first meeting with the coach would be step 1 of that process.



  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 108,804, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    ruxCYtable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,985
    Points
    108,804
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 189
    Given: 200

    Re: Iowa Court: Losing is No Reason to Fire Football Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    I think high school is a little different, as there is no such thing as recruiting.
    This is exactly what I was going to say. With a few exceptions, high school coaches are stuck with what they've got.

    I've worked closely with several high school basketball coaches and I know who the good ones are in my area. Even the best of the best don't win if they don't have the talent.

    On the flip side, there is a coach in my area who by many accounts is not a good coach at all. But he stepped into a situation with established boosters and feeder programs that was almost impossible to screw up. I'm not going to name names, but this person has multiple championships and several high D-I players.


    Last edited by ruxCYtable; 04-29-2011 at 04:02 PM.

  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 187,669, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    kingcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Menlo, Iowa
    Posts
    17,363
    Points
    187,669
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 143
    Given: 91

    Re: Iowa Court: Losing is No Reason to Fire Football Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    I think high school is a little different, as there is no such thing as recruiting.
    No recruiting in HS, funny stuff.

    A coach can make a big difference in HS. Recruiting or not.


    The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 18,363, Level: 41
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 587
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,531
    Points
    18,363
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa Court: Losing is No Reason to Fire Football Coach

    Coaches can make a difference, but if you don't have the athletes its game over. I believe in '02, Jesup had a playoff team and that coach was the head coach then as well, so he must have some ability to coach. High schools can't just fire coaches for losing, but they should be able to set expectations and have them agreed upon by the AD and head coach prior to the season...then if those expectations are not met there would be some grounds to move towards termination since the coach agreed to the expectations. Of course, they would have to measureable.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 54,718, Level: 72
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 832
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,454
    Points
    54,718
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa Court: Losing is No Reason to Fire Football Coach

    When you coach at small towns, and Jesup is a small town, you don't have any control over the kids that you have.

    I know Jesup, and I know Bruce. He is a good guy, and he knows football. The problem is that Jesup has ZERO athletic tradition. That play off bid was the ONLY one in school history. He has been to the state baseball tournament a couple of times as well.

    The biggest problem that he had was that he was an elementary school teacher, coaching high school. There is a serious disconnect there.

    The superintendent who fired him, Sara Pinion, had taken another job right before she fired him. She gave no real reason for the termination. People really felt that it was personal. The people in the town STILL don't know exactly what went down, 3 years later.

    So thanks to someone, WHO HAD ALREADY MADE THE DECISION TO LEAVE, Jesup school has gone through all of their cash reserves in litigation costs.

    Personally, I have family that has gone through Jesup, and they are HORRIBLE in football, and always have been. They have something like 20 winning seasons in school history. It wasn't just him.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 158,162, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUKyro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    9,615
    Points
    158,162
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 186

    Re: Iowa Court: Losing is No Reason to Fire Football Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by RyCy04 View Post
    No child left behind extends to adults now.
    In our society everyone is a winner! No point in even keep score!



  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 59,598, Level: 75
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 452
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    besserheimerphat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Posts
    2,552
    Points
    59,598
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 99

    Re: Iowa Court: Losing is No Reason to Fire Football Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    No recruiting in HS, funny stuff.

    A coach can make a big difference in HS. Recruiting or not.
    A kid who moves or changes districts to play for a team with better athletics (or parents who do it for them) is not the same as recruiting.


    You can spend a lot of time and money picking out the perfect floral bouquet for your date ... but you're probably better off checking if you have bad breath and taking the porn out of the glove compartment.

    The moral: you gain more by not being stupid, than you do by being smart. Smart gets neutralized by other smart people. Stupid does not.

  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 117,932, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUAlum2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    15,487
    Points
    117,932
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 58

    Re: Iowa Court: Losing is No Reason to Fire Football Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by besserheimerphat View Post
    A kid who moves or changes districts to play for a team with better athletics (or parents who do it for them) is not the same as recruiting.
    You're right, but that doesn't change the fact that kids are still being recruited by coaches. Talk to the parents of any young up-and-coming talented kid and they will tell you about all the coaches that contact them trying to get them to open enroll their kid to another district.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM