Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 19,518, Level: 42
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 332
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    965
    Points
    19,518
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    James Carpenter-Seattle

    Nice to see James Carpenter get drafted in the first round by Seattle. So close with that guy. Keleche will do it for us next year.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 359,048, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,067
    Points
    359,048
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 413
    Given: 63

    Re: James Carpenter-Seattle

    One thing I saw last night is that there were two teams we have been better than in recent years that had guys go in the first round. Baylor and Colorado. I know we lost to COlorado last year but we had been at least competitive with them previously. The last time we played Baylor we beat them. We are competing with teams putting much more in the draft than we do. I see a lot of potential NFL players out there now so hopefully that translates to beating teams like Baylor and Kansas and KSU consistently as well as competing more consistently with others. If I look at this defense, for instance, there are for guys that could go very high in the draft relative to our standards. Klein, Knott, Johnson, and I still think Benton could make a huge jump next year as a safety. That's really where I think he belongs.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 40,233, Level: 61
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 117
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    3GenClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Windsor Heights
    Posts
    2,134
    Points
    40,233
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 129

    Re: James Carpenter-Seattle

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    One thing I saw last night is that there were two teams we have been better than in recent years that had guys go in the first round. Baylor and Colorado. I know we lost to COlorado last year but we had been at least competitive with them previously. The last time we played Baylor we beat them. We are competing with teams putting much more in the draft than we do. I see a lot of potential NFL players out there now so hopefully that translates to beating teams like Baylor and Kansas and KSU consistently as well as competing more consistently with others. If I look at this defense, for instance, there are for guys that could go very high in the draft relative to our standards. Klein, Knott, Johnson, and I still think Benton could make a huge jump next year as a safety. That's really where I think he belongs.
    The one thing I took away from last night: it's usually been par for the course that when a Big 12 player gets drafted, the highlights usually show that player owning someone in an ISU jersey. I only saw one of those clips, and that was for Adrian Clayborn sacking Bret Meyer. The fact that players like Amukamara, Gabbert and Solder didn't have any highlights against ISU makes me a little more confident that this program is heading in the right direction.



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 18,058, Level: 41
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 892
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    1,581
    Points
    18,058
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

    Re: James Carpenter-Seattle

    Iowa state made the clip when Prince got drafted. It was the wide receiver reverse pass where money was tackled in the backfeild.



  5. #5
    Walk On
    Points: 8,741, Level: 27
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    130
    Points
    8,741
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: James Carpenter-Seattle

    Osemele is far and away the best draft prospect on the team. With a good year, he'll be a first round pick. I don't think anyone else on the team is going to challenge for the 1st or 2nd round. Both Knott and LJ will get drafted, but I think it'll be more in the 3rd-4th round range.

    Knott is really talented and athletic, but won't be a 1st round guy because he's a 4-3 linebacker...typically not a position that gets drafted at the top (none were taken yesterday).

    LJ isn't big enough to be a 1st round corner. If he can run sub-4.5 at his pro day, I could see him being picked in the 3rd or 4th. IMO, he's similar to D.J. Moore, the Bears 4th round pick out of Vandy a couple of years ago. Both are a little undersized to be considered elite, but were (are) really productive in college both at corner and in the return game.

    Klein and Benton both have a shot as well, although they won't be drafted high. I don't think either of them is an elite athlete by NFL standards, but they're good enough athletes to make it.

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    One thing I saw last night is that there were two teams we have been better than in recent years that had guys go in the first round. Baylor and Colorado. I know we lost to COlorado last year but we had been at least competitive with them previously. The last time we played Baylor we beat them. We are competing with teams putting much more in the draft than we do. I see a lot of potential NFL players out there now so hopefully that translates to beating teams like Baylor and Kansas and KSU consistently as well as competing more consistently with others. If I look at this defense, for instance, there are for guys that could go very high in the draft relative to our standards. Klein, Knott, Johnson, and I still think Benton could make a huge jump next year as a safety. That's really where I think he belongs.



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 359,048, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,067
    Points
    359,048
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 413
    Given: 63

    Re: James Carpenter-Seattle

    Quote Originally Posted by 3GenClone View Post
    The one thing I took away from last night: it's usually been par for the course that when a Big 12 player gets drafted, the highlights usually show that player owning someone in an ISU jersey. I only saw one of those clips, and that was for Adrian Clayborn sacking Bret Meyer. The fact that players like Amukamara, Gabbert and Solder didn't have any highlights against ISU makes me a little more confident that this program is heading in the right direction.
    Are you sure? Clayborn didn't play a lot as a freshman. I did see the one where Prince took Money out in the backfield.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 399,022, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    58,863
    Points
    399,022
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 555
    Given: 357

    Re: James Carpenter-Seattle

    Quote Originally Posted by 3GenClone View Post
    The one thing I took away from last night: it's usually been par for the course that when a Big 12 player gets drafted, the highlights usually show that player owning someone in an ISU jersey. I only saw one of those clips, and that was for Adrian Clayborn sacking Bret Meyer. The fact that players like Amukamara, Gabbert and Solder didn't have any highlights against ISU makes me a little more confident that this program is heading in the right direction.
    Thought I saw Gabbert passing for a TD against the Clones also.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 156,209, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clonefan32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,877
    Points
    156,209
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 717
    Given: 9

    Re: James Carpenter-Seattle

    Quote Originally Posted by 04clone View Post
    Osemele is far and away the best draft prospect on the team. With a good year, he'll be a first round pick. I don't think anyone else on the team is going to challenge for the 1st or 2nd round. Both Knott and LJ will get drafted, but I think it'll be more in the 3rd-4th round range.

    Knott is really talented and athletic, but won't be a 1st round guy because he's a 4-3 linebacker...typically not a position that gets drafted at the top (none were taken yesterday).

    LJ isn't big enough to be a 1st round corner. If he can run sub-4.5 at his pro day, I could see him being picked in the 3rd or 4th. IMO, he's similar to D.J. Moore, the Bears 4th round pick out of Vandy a couple of years ago. Both are a little undersized to be considered elite, but were (are) really productive in college both at corner and in the return game.

    Klein and Benton both have a shot as well, although they won't be drafted high. I don't think either of them is an elite athlete by NFL standards, but they're good enough athletes to make it.
    I think Osemele has to be one of the best NFL prospects we have EVER had.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 359,048, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,067
    Points
    359,048
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 413
    Given: 63

    Re: James Carpenter-Seattle

    Quote Originally Posted by 04clone View Post
    Osemele is far and away the best draft prospect on the team. With a good year, he'll be a first round pick. I don't think anyone else on the team is going to challenge for the 1st or 2nd round. Both Knott and LJ will get drafted, but I think it'll be more in the 3rd-4th round range.

    Knott is really talented and athletic, but won't be a 1st round guy because he's a 4-3 linebacker...typically not a position that gets drafted at the top (none were taken yesterday).

    I don't know about that. I don't think it's a matter of that position, I think it's a matter of this draft not having many of those guys but having a lot of very good 3-4 LBers. Daquan Bowers is still on the board. He's a top 10 or 15 guy last year.

    LJ isn't big enough to be a 1st round corner. If he can run sub-4.5 at his pro day, I could see him being picked in the 3rd or 4th. IMO, he's similar to D.J. Moore, the Bears 4th round pick out of Vandy a couple of years ago. Both are a little undersized to be considered elite, but were (are) really productive in college both at corner and in the return game.

    I agree with this somewhat. I also haven't done any research as to what corners will be coming out next year either. That's a position where someone always needs them so if there aren't many, then I think he could sneak in late in the second. He has to get better on down field coverage though. He is very physical and does well in the short field stuff but sometimes he get's burned. I really look forward to seeing where he goes this year.

    Klein and Benton both have a shot as well, although they won't be drafted high. I don't think either of them is an elite athlete by NFL standards, but they're good enough athletes to make it.

    I think Klein could be up there if the right team needs a middle linebacker. We have to keep in mind both he and Knott have two years left.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 359,048, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,067
    Points
    359,048
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 413
    Given: 63

    Re: James Carpenter-Seattle

    Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan32 View Post
    I think Osemele has to be one of the best NFL prospects we have EVER had.
    I think he has to be.

    Hands down, Tate Forcier was the highlight heel last night. Every defensive Bog Ten player had a clip with him in it.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 41,556, Level: 62
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Borger, TX
    Posts
    2,643
    Points
    41,556
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 4

    Re: James Carpenter-Seattle

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Thought I saw Gabbert passing for a TD against the Clones also.
    Really? There wasn't a whole lot of scoring in last years game.



  12. #12
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 58,042, Level: 74
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 508
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clone5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,546
    Points
    58,042
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: James Carpenter-Seattle

    I think it will help Johnson to have solid safeties to rely on instead of guys like Brandon Hunley. He hasn't had much help at all over the last few years on deep balls.



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 34,792, Level: 57
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 658
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    2,225
    Points
    34,792
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 76

    Re: James Carpenter-Seattle

    Quote Originally Posted by Clone5 View Post
    I think it will help Johnson to have solid safeties to rely on instead of guys like Brandon Hunley. He hasn't had much help at all over the last few years on deep balls.
    eh? james smith, Oconnell, Benton at nickle and corner, D sims... johnson has had help. he doesnt have that many picks because he doesnt see that many balls. the chances he had last year he just knocked them down, dropped a couple as well.



  14. #14
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 72,045, Level: 83
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,105
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isufbcurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    4,459
    Points
    72,045
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 545
    Given: 829

    Re: James Carpenter-Seattle

    Quote Originally Posted by Clone5 View Post
    I think it will help Johnson to have solid safeties to rely on instead of guys like Brandon Hunley. He hasn't had much help at all over the last few years on deep balls.
    I'm pretty positive Huntley never played with LJ, and didn't get much PT for that matter anyway.



  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 43,603, Level: 64
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 647
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    heitclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Malvern, IA
    Posts
    4,634
    Points
    43,603
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 267

    Re: James Carpenter-Seattle

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    One thing I saw last night is that there were two teams we have been better than in recent years that had guys go in the first round. Baylor and Colorado. I know we lost to COlorado last year but we had been at least competitive with them previously. The last time we played Baylor we beat them. We are competing with teams putting much more in the draft than we do. I see a lot of potential NFL players out there now so hopefully that translates to beating teams like Baylor and Kansas and KSU consistently as well as competing more consistently with others. If I look at this defense, for instance, there are for guys that could go very high in the draft relative to our standards. Klein, Knott, Johnson, and I still think Benton could make a huge jump next year as a safety. That's really where I think he belongs.
    Im not sure we were better than those guys but agree that talent wise, especially when talking about underclassmen we have had more guys with pro potential. I agree the defense has a handful of potential pros, I think once we can say that about the offense (specifically at the skill positions) it will translate into beating those teams you mentioned consistently.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • Iowa State @ Oklahoma State
  • October 4, 2014
  • 11:00 AM