Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,060
    Given: 280

Player Profile: DeVondrick Nealy

Another player profile from yaman3 today. DeVondrick Nealy is featured.

Iowa State Football Player Profile: DeVondrick Nealy | Cyclone Fanatic

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 828
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

Re: Player Profile: DeVondrick Nealy

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Another player profile from yaman3 today. DeVondrick Nealy is featured.

Iowa State Football Player Profile: DeVondrick Nealy | Cyclone Fanatic

I would like to respectfully disagree with Yaman on who Nealy reminds me of. So far, we've had different posters compare two different RBs with two different styles (Standard and Nealy) to A-Rob. I don't think either one of them is like ARob, except maybe superficially.

Yes, Nealy catches passes out of the backfield like Robinson did, yes, he can run the ball, but that's where the comparison ends, IMO.

From my untrained eye, Nealy looks more like a taller, faster Darren Davis. And I have to go back to the wiggle factor. If I were to rate four RBs by their wiggle factor (elusiveness, quick cutting) I would put Standard at the bottom, followed by Arob, then Nealy, then Johnson. Nealy and Johnson are nearly equal in their wiggle, but both are light years ahead of Standard and ARob, in my estimation. It's not that Standard and ARob don't have any wiggle, because they do. Their cuts are just more subtle, not violent, herky-jerky like the other two.

The thing Nealy has going for him is that spin move like Darren Davis (and Troy) had and he looks to have that great balance that both Davis brothers had. I think when all is said and done, Nealy could wind up being a better back that Shontrelle, and that's saying something because I think a lot of Shontrelle.

Last edited by Bipolarcy; 04-28-2011 at 04:43 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 885
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 193

Quote Originally Posted by Bipolarcy View Post
    I would like to respectfully disagree on with Yaman on who Nealy reminds me of. So far, we've had different posters compare two different RBs with two different styles (Standard and Nealy) to A-Rob. I don't think either one of them is like ARob, except maybe superficially.

Yes, Nealy catches passes out of the backfield like Robinson did, yes, he can run the ball, but that's where the comparison ends, IMO.

From my untrained eye, Nealy looks more like a taller, faster Darren Davis. And I have to go back to the wiggle factor. If I were to rate four RBs by their wiggle factor (elusiveness, quick cutting) I would put Standard at the bottom, followed by Arob, then Nealy, then Johnson. Nealy and Johnson are nearly equal in their wiggle, but both are light years ahead of Standard and ARob, in my estimation. It's not that Standard and ARob don't have any wiggle, because they do. Their cuts are just more subtle, not violent, herky-jerky like the other two.

The thing Nealy has going for him is that spin move like Darren Davis (and Troy) had and he looks to have that great balance that both Davis brothers had. I think when all is said and done, Nealy could wind up being a better back that Shontrelle, and that's saying something because I think a lot of Shontrelle.
    I was with you until you used the word wiggle for the third time in one paragraph.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,126
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 0

How about... Kevin Faulk.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 556
    Given: 74

Quote Originally Posted by Bipolarcy View Post
    I would like to respectfully disagree on with Yaman on who Nealy reminds me of. So far, we've had different posters compare two different RBs with two different styles (Standard and Nealy) to A-Rob. I don't think either one of them is like ARob, except maybe superficially.

You could be right but I see Nealy as more of a "find a crease and go until someone stops you" type of guy. Time will tell but I don't see him being like Shontrelle. I certainly don't think Standard is like ARob.

It's all snark from here on out

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 558
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 32

Yaman, do you see nealy lining up in the slot at all? You mentioned that this staff probably wants to get him on the field...

i could see him at slot taking a few fly sweeps or as a pitch man on the option

also, since we're relatively thinner at WR than at RB, he could be used as a pass catcher too obviously

Speechless
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 556
    Given: 74

Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    Yaman, do you see nealy lining up in the slot at all? You mentioned that this staff probably wants to get him on the field...

i could see him at slot taking a few fly sweeps or as a pitch man on the option

also, since we're relatively thinner at WR than at RB, he could be used as a pass catcher too obviously
    I hope so. I think that will be the easiest place for him to fin time in this first year. There is a little less to learn and he doesn't need the physical development. I don't know where Herman is going with the offense but he just seems like a very versatile guy. I think he's someone you can use to motion into the backfield and on sweeps and things because of his ability as a RB. Like I said, I think he can play anywhere from RB out to outside receiver. In terms of his talent level, I think he's different but similar in what he can bring. I don't think he will be a starter but I think he is too talented not to use especially when we have a question mark at receiver. I know we are all excited about Horne and West in the slot but they still aren't proven guys.

It's all snark from here on out

Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

hope he gets some decent playing time next year because we are really going to need someone with his big play making ability.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,126
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170

Quote Originally Posted by hiltonmagic21 View Post
    hope he gets some decent playing time next year because we are really going to need someone with his big play making ability.
    I would redshirt him this year... we have a lot of young potential as it is at RB with SJ, White, Hollis, and Woody.. so it would be a little crowded for him there. Then we look at the slot, and theres some potential there also... West, Horne, and Gary.. not to mention Lenz and Darks.

SJ, Horne, and West have more than enough big play potential...

Pro
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 862
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 15

It is going to be very interesting to see what happens with the large stable of young running backs we currently have. I have a hard time believing that we will have 6 backs platooning in a year or two.

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 828
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17

Quote Originally Posted by RustShack View Post
    Then we look at the slot, and theres some potential there also... West, Horne, and Gary.. not to mention Lenz and Darks.

Not to mention, three of our best recruits, Bundrage, Ecby and Lampkin, are coming in at WR. Not that Bundrage and Ecby are slot receivers by any means, but if they crack the two deeps at the wideouts, that might free someone like Lenz, Darks or someone else to move over to the slot, too. It will be interesting to see how that all shakes out.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Hoping he recovers fully from knee surgery...

All-Star
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by RustShack View Post
    I would redshirt him this year... we have a lot of young potential as it is at RB with SJ, White, Hollis, and Woody.. so it would be a little crowded for him there. Then we look at the slot, and theres some potential there also... West, Horne, and Gary.. not to mention Lenz and Darks.

There is no such thing as more than enough big play potential.

All-Star
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 321
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by HardcoreClone View Post
    Hoping he recovers fully from knee surgery...
    Any word on how that's going?

Life is a tragedy for those who feel, and a comedy for those who think

Iowa State University Big XII champs 2012 ***official CF PS3 Online Dynasty***

Recruit
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 329
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Any word on if he's qualified academically yet? I'm more worried about that then anything with him right now.