Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 206
    Given: 0

Question Red light camera video

Found this video very interesting. It is footage from red light cameras.

YouTube - Stop on Red - It's the Law in Louisiana

Obviously the cameras were there and the accidents still happened. What are your guys idea for solutions or punishments? It could be anyone of us or one of our family members or kids that gets hurt or killed.

Just curious what everyone around here thinks. I am NOT promoting red light cameras.

Last edited by Me State; 04-28-2011 at 02:20 AM.

Addict
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 250
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 231
    Given: 62

Re: Red light cameras

i don't think red light cameras prevent idiots from running the lights. it is all about making money and nothing will ever make me change my mind about that.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 602
    Given: 443

Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    i don't think red light cameras prevent idiots from running the lights. it is all about making money and nothing will ever make me change my mind about that.

Well I suppose if it generates cash that will in turn be invested into law enforcement and safety in other areas Im ok with that. If it gets ****** away on something stupid, then not so much.

It does get quite a few people to stop running red lights so I do think they help. There will always be someone who tries to beat the red light way too late. Cant do much about that.

Starter
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 40

Quote Originally Posted by bos View Post
    Well I suppose if it generates cash that will in turn be invested into law enforcement and safety in other areas Im ok with that. If it gets ****** away on something stupid, then not so much.

It does get quite a few people to stop running red lights so I do think they help. There will always be someone who tries to beat the red light way too late. Cant do much about that.

They are a source of revenue, generating funds without raising taxes. Nobody is any safer as a result. When enough people refuse to pay then what?

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,752
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

I know they're separate deals, but there was an article in a DC-area paper recently about a Maryland businessman who had beaten four or five speeding tickets given out by an automated camera system run by a private subcontractor for the city. He analyzed the video provided to him with each ticket, and comparing the distance traveled by the vehicle with the time elapsed, proved in court that the system was exaggerating the speeds of vehicles significantly. All the judges have thrown out his tickets because he proved his case, unfortunately everyone else who doesn't "do the work" isn't so lucky.

Cities & Counties are all short on money, and the automated ticketing systems are a cash cow for them. Unfortunately, this means that they have an incentive to hand out more tickets, regardless of whether or not a law was broken.

On the red light cameras, you also see some municipalities shorten up yellow durations on the lights in order to maximize their ticket revenue. This is the opposite thing you should be doing if "preventing accidents" is your real motivation.

I'm all for safety, but grubbing money from drivers who may or may not have jumped a light is bad policy. What's next: random checkpoints where the cops take a $20 out of the wallet/purse of every driver and passenger in the name of "balancing their budget"? Criminal law has a longstanding tradition that all those accused of a crime have the right to confront their accuser. How exactly do you cross-examine a videocamera?

"Correct me if I'm wrong, Scotty.......but if I kill all the golfers, they'll lock me up and throw away the key!" Carl Spackler

Legend
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 331
    Given: 526

Profits from speed camera's should be donated to charity. Once that happens I'll start to believe that they do it for safety.

Pro
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 293
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 261
    Given: 509

Last summer I witnessed an accident when a person ran a red light. I had the green and wanted to turn left. I was waiting for the oncoming truck coming through the light so I could make my turn. Just as he was entering the intersection a car just flew through and bam.
    Here in Omaha, you have to look when the light turns green because so many people come flying through the intersection after the light turns red. Probably happens in most larger cities also.
    As a motorcyclist you have to stay extra aware.

They say country music speaks to the heart. Unfortunately, it has to go through your ears to get there.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 798
    Given: 1,608

Quote Originally Posted by cyson View Post
    They are a source of revenue, generating funds without raising taxes. Nobody is any safer as a result. When enough people refuse to pay then what?
    That may be your opinion, but it is certainly not backed by any factual evidence.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 798
    Given: 1,608

Quote Originally Posted by CYlent Bob View Post
    Criminal law has a longstanding tradition that all those accused of a crime have the right to confront their accuser. How exactly do you cross-examine a videocamera?
    I don't know how they work in any other city, but here in Cedar Rapids all tickets from the cameras are written by a police officer. You can view the video at any time at the police station, and have a right to protest the ticket and the officer who reviewed the video and wrote the ticket will attend like any other ticket.

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by bawbie View Post
    I don't know how they work in any other city, but here in Cedar Rapids all tickets from the cameras are written by a police officer. You can view the video at any time at the police station, and have a right to protest the ticket and the officer who reviewed the video and wrote the ticket will attend like any other ticket.
    Do you know if they will give you a copy of the video from your ticket so that you can go and do what was mentioned earlier, measuring the distance and time elapsed and comparing it to the speed cited in the ticket?

You can't die. That would upset the equilibrium in the Cave.
    Warning: Posts contain 98% post-sarcastic content.
    Hoiball

Legend
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,062
    Given: 209

Pretty simple...

Don't break the law and you wont have to worry about it. People who run red lights are the same people who think they are in a hurry. The same person who will go speeding past you driving like a moron, weaving in and out of traffic making it seems as though their time is so valuable, and than when they get to their destination, will drive around the parking lot for 5 minutes trying to find a spot close to the door.

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

That may be your opinion, but it is certainly not backed by any factual evidence.
    Is there factual evidence that suggests that cameras DO make people safer?

You can't die. That would upset the equilibrium in the Cave.
    Warning: Posts contain 98% post-sarcastic content.
    Hoiball

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Ever heard of heresay? The police officer cannot say that HE witnessed the incident, only that the camera setup witnessed it. There's "confronting your accuser", and then there's "confronting some dude who heard what you did from someone else".

Are CR's tickets accompanied by video? Some systems are still photos only, which are definitely subject to manipulation. If their system provides full video of the infraction, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

"Correct me if I'm wrong, Scotty.......but if I kill all the golfers, they'll lock me up and throw away the key!" Carl Spackler

Starter
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 699
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Actually I think this is backed by evidence. Where I used to live when they put in these cameras there were MORE accidents in the areas where the camera's were. People were so concerned about being written up by big brother that they went significantly slower in those areas. As a result, eager drivers tailgated the people going slower and when the slow guys had to stop they were rear-ended.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    Pretty simple...

Don't break the law and you wont have to worry about it. People who run red lights are the same people who think they are in a hurry. The same person who will go speeding past you driving like a moron, weaving in and out of traffic making it seems as though their time is so valuable, and than when they get to their destination, will drive around the parking lot for 5 minutes trying to find a spot close to the door.

I'm with you on the fact that most people who run reds are morons. What I'm saying is that these systems are set up as a profit-making venture for the municipalities & the contractors who run them. When there's a question of whether or not an infraction occured, they always benefit by calling it a crime & issuing a ticket. This unbalances the system and erodes the public's confidence in the law, which is a BAD thing.

Yeah, I realize that a community that wants to generate revenue can always have officers lie about what they saw to generate revenue from illicit tickets. This is a flaw that can't be overcome. I'm just saying that if a municipality wants to do this, they should have to commit perjury get the job done. Stop hiding behind the "well, the cameras don't lie" defense.