Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Publisher
    Points: 771,741, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    15,793
    Points
    771,741
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 498
    Given: 130

  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 63,155, Level: 77
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isubeatle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    1,309
    Points
    63,155
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 22

    Re: Monday Musings - April 25, 2011

    no comments on the new scoreboard renderings Chris?



  3. #3
    Legend
    Points: 170,480, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyguytillidie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    10,369
    Points
    170,480
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 79

    Re: Monday Musings - April 25, 2011

    no draft or scoreboard thoughts?
    Ur slippin man.



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 17,374, Level: 40
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 676
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    kkise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    1,067
    Points
    17,374
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 27

    Re: Monday Musings - April 25, 2011

    I've seen the Barton Hollow video by the Civil Wars. Were they pretty good live?


    Keepers of the Faith -- Member

    Keepers of the Faith is an alliance for those who are excited, enthusiastic, and optimistic about the direction of our men's basketball program. We reject the notion that one bad loss can derail the incredible progress of the past three years. To join, put this in your signature.

  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 172,789, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,428
    Points
    172,789
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 120
    Given: 0

    Re: Monday Musings - April 25, 2011

    In regards to the Cyclone Gridiron Club... it doesn't surprise me that there's 475 members. In fact, that's probably a higher number than I would have guessed there was?

    Fact is, the economy is not good right now, and probably won't be for quite some time. I try to make it to one or two football games a year and that's it for me for Cyclone sports.

    Of course, many will accuse me of being part of the problem of why ISU doesn't have enough money, but I don't make a ton of money and I have a lot higher priorities in my life that are much more important. I'm saving to send both my kids thru college, saving for my wife and I's retirement, saving to go on vacations once a year, etc, etc.... as are most people. Things are not getting cheaper.

    Obviously I'm sure there are people that can afford season tickets for football and basketball, and still have money to join the Gridiron Club, etc. That is fine. Hopefully there are more than 475 people that can do this, that would be great for ISU athletics.

    But don't think for a minute that ISU athletics rates very high on most people's list of priorities... that just isn't the case. It's a tough sell, especially in today's world. And it shouldn't rate very high either.

    I really hope you can hit the 1,000 member mark Chris, that would be fantastic. But don't press people too hard that turn you down either. Cyclone sports is truly a luxury item to spend money on. Some of us do what we can, but don't want it shoved down our throats either. I hope those that can afford it and have thought about joining do sign up. We need more support obviously, but some of the most diehard Cyclone fans are also the ones that can only make a few games a year, by some Cyclone wear, and that's about it.

    Good luck.



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 45,140, Level: 65
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 410
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Rods79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,491
    Points
    45,140
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

    Re: Monday Musings - April 25, 2011

    Look at it as $8.33 a month...a $100 membership is not such a daunting number. My only concern is what the actual benefits are aside from donating to Iowa State football. For someone far out of state, I would love to join just to show my support, but I would actually like to put that money towards actually getting to Iowa and going to a game in person. I also think ISU fans like to spread the wealth and donation around to other sports and this is probably another reason for the low membership. Also, the communication/marketing for the Gridiron club has been non-existent.



  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 32,092, Level: 55
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 958
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    fatkid1974's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    van down by the river
    Posts
    1,164
    Points
    32,092
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 7

    Re: Monday Musings - April 25, 2011

    How bout a mailbag sometime soon Williams.


    That rug really tied the room together, did it not dude?

    Follow me unplugged on twitter @fatkid1974

  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 150,626, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Here nor there
    Posts
    10,505
    Points
    150,626
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240
    Given: 257

    Re: Monday Musings - April 25, 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    Fact is, the economy is not good right now, and probably won't be for quite some time. I try to make it to one or two football games a year and that's it for me for Cyclone sports.

    Of course, many will accuse me of being part of the problem of why ISU doesn't have enough money, but I don't make a ton of money and I have a lot higher priorities in my life that are much more important. I'm saving to send both my kids thru college, saving for my wife and I's retirement, saving to go on vacations once a year, etc, etc.... as are most people. Things are not getting cheaper. .

    But don't think for a minute that ISU athletics rates very high on most people's list of priorities... that just isn't the case. It's a tough sell, especially in today's world. And it shouldn't rate very high either.

    I really hope you can hit the 1,000 member mark Chris, that would be fantastic. But don't press people too hard that turn you down either. Cyclone sports is truly a luxury item to spend money on. Some of us do what we can, but don't want it shoved down our throats either. I hope those that can afford it and have thought about joining do sign up. We need more support obviously, but some of the most diehard Cyclone fans are also the ones that can only make a few games a year, by some Cyclone wear, and that's about it.

    Good luck.
    The emotional investment you've demonstrated on CF to such a low personal priority is impressive. I can only imagine the contributions you would make to praising ISU athletics on CF if it rated high on your list.


    Last edited by swarthmoreCY; 04-25-2011 at 06:33 PM.

  9. #9
    Publisher
    Points: 771,741, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    15,793
    Points
    771,741
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 498
    Given: 130

    Re: Monday Musings - April 25, 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by cyguytillidie View Post
    no draft or scoreboard thoughts?
    Ur slippin man.
    Draft coverage is coming up later this week.

    I wrote/commented on the scoreboard numerous times last week. Didn't see the point in writing the same things over and over again.



  10. #10
    Publisher
    Points: 771,741, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    15,793
    Points
    771,741
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 498
    Given: 130

    Re: Monday Musings - April 25, 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by fatkid1974 View Post
    How bout a mailbag sometime soon Williams.
    You read my mine. I plan on posting a questions thread tomorrow.



  11. #11
    Publisher
    Points: 771,741, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    15,793
    Points
    771,741
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 498
    Given: 130

    Re: Monday Musings - April 25, 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by kkise View Post
    I've seen the Barton Hollow video by the Civil Wars. Were they pretty good live?
    Fantastic. Maybe my favorite live show I have ever been to. The M-Shop is a pretty sweet venue too so that helped I'm sure.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 404,747, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    21,069
    Points
    404,747
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 252
    Given: 107

    Re: Monday Musings - April 25, 2011

    I wouldnt necessarily go as far as clonedude, but i would say, the CGC does have issues as far as a 'why should i put my money here?' thing. If you're not going to make the functions that it gives access to, why should someone put their money here, when there are other ways to support the dept? Instead of putting $100 to the CGC, why not increase your cyclone club membership, giving you more points there, or buy an extra hillside ticket (which gives you a tangible benefit as well as increases our overall attendance numbers)? The AD gets the money that way too. Sure, they can spend it anywhere, but its obvious that football is going to be the priority at this point anyways.



  13. #13
    Publisher
    Points: 771,741, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    15,793
    Points
    771,741
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 498
    Given: 130

    Re: Monday Musings - April 25, 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    In regards to the Cyclone Gridiron Club... it doesn't surprise me that there's 475 members. In fact, that's probably a higher number than I would have guessed there was?

    Fact is, the economy is not good right now, and probably won't be for quite some time. I try to make it to one or two football games a year and that's it for me for Cyclone sports.

    Of course, many will accuse me of being part of the problem of why ISU doesn't have enough money, but I don't make a ton of money and I have a lot higher priorities in my life that are much more important. I'm saving to send both my kids thru college, saving for my wife and I's retirement, saving to go on vacations once a year, etc, etc.... as are most people. Things are not getting cheaper.

    Obviously I'm sure there are people that can afford season tickets for football and basketball, and still have money to join the Gridiron Club, etc. That is fine. Hopefully there are more than 475 people that can do this, that would be great for ISU athletics.

    But don't think for a minute that ISU athletics rates very high on most people's list of priorities... that just isn't the case. It's a tough sell, especially in today's world. And it shouldn't rate very high either.

    I really hope you can hit the 1,000 member mark Chris, that would be fantastic. But don't press people too hard that turn you down either. Cyclone sports is truly a luxury item to spend money on. Some of us do what we can, but don't want it shoved down our throats either. I hope those that can afford it and have thought about joining do sign up. We need more support obviously, but some of the most diehard Cyclone fans are also the ones that can only make a few games a year, by some Cyclone wear, and that's about it.

    Good luck.
    We're not trying to shove anything down your throat. If you decide to spend your money elsewhere, that is your business. It isn't like I'm getting paid to help promote the Gridiron Club. I just know how much a successful club could help Iowa State sustain long term success and being the publisher of a Cyclone fan site that thousands visit every day, I figure our site might as well try to help out and spread the word.

    And as I plan on writing in a few days, you'll see just how low that 475 number is when you compare it to the rest of the schools in the Big 12. That's my point. I believe that there are a lot more people out there who can and would want to contribute to this club, but they never knew anything about up until now. Those are the people I am trying to reach. If you can't afford it, don't do it. No pressure coming from me.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 172,789, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,428
    Points
    172,789
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 120
    Given: 0

    Re: Monday Musings - April 25, 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    We're not trying to shove anything down your throat. If you decide to spend your money elsewhere, that is your business. It isn't like I'm getting paid to help promote the Gridiron Club. I just know how much a successful club could help Iowa State sustain long term success and being the publisher of a Cyclone fan site that thousands visit every day, I figure our site might as well try to help out and spread the word.

    And as I plan on writing in a few days, you'll see just how low that 475 number is when you compare it to the rest of the schools in the Big 12. That's my point. I believe that there are a lot more people out there who can and would want to contribute to this club, but they never knew anything about up until now. Those are the people I am trying to reach. If you can't afford it, don't do it. No pressure coming from me.
    You never said you were going to pressure anyone, and I never said you were going to either. I never thought you would. I think what you're doing is great. Just helping to get the word out will probably make a big difference.

    And yes, I do spend quite a bit of time on this site, but as you know, it's free too. If tomorrow Chris decided to charge for this site, I'd be gone. CycloneReport is a graveyard right now. That's mostly because you have to pay for it. This site would die too if there was a cost to it.

    Like others have said on here, any money that I put aside for ISU athletics is going to go towards football and basketball tickets for me and my family. I would get next to nothing out of joining the Gridiron Club IMO. It just wouldn't make sense for me. But for some I think it's a great idea and probably very worthwhile joining.

    I hope a lot of people sign up.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM