Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 864
    Given: 224

Awesome read on Selby/1 and done

Good stuff today from ESPN.com's Pat Forde on Josh Selby and the NBA "one and done" rule.

The Josh Selby story exposes one-and-done -- college basketball - ESPN

Prospect
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Awesome read on Selby/1 and done

I could not agree more with Pat Forde. I think every party involved with a student coming right out of high school, is affected by this. The school looks pretty crappy on letting a kid not go to class and still passing them. The so called "student athlete" is completely cheapened by coming to a university just to play sports. David Stern needs to do something about this, or there will be more scandals with universities and recruiting and just diminish what is college basketball.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 877
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 195
    Given: 42

From the article:

If I were NCAA president Mark Emmert, I'd overnight a manila folder to David Stern labeled "Josh Selby."

And David Stern would point to this as another example of the rule working out for the NBA. Selby would have been a lottery pick if he came right out of high school, now he'll be a late first round pick at best, his game was exposed a lot more at Kansas than it was in high school. The rule is to protect the NBA, David Stern has no responsibility for what athletes colleges recruit or how it affects the college game. Selby was one and done all the way, Kansas knew this going in, they chose to recruit him.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 197
    Given: 127

The last 3 paragraphs speak the truth. That's how the system should work and the NCAA & NBA need to make it happen.

Self said the so-called one-and-done rule is "a bad rule." Like most other logical basketball people, he'd prefer a set-up similar to the baseball rules, which allow players to sign pro contracts out of high school -- but if they go to college, they're committed for three seasons.

I'd take the baseball analogy a step further: The NBA needs to make its Developmental League a truly viable and encouraged option -- a real minor league like baseball has -- for teenagers who want to play pro ball but don't want to go to college. The NBA owes that much to all interested parties.

Spare the schools from enabling a sham that makes a mockery of education. Spare the franchises from babysitting unprepared and/or immature teenagers. And spare the fans from being force-fed the big lie.

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 503
    Given: 1,004

If colleges wouldn't accept players who shouldn't be there, it wouldn't be quite as much of an issue either, but that won't happen. I would love to see a minor league become viable, which is what the NBDL should be.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by LindenCy View Post
    If colleges wouldn't accept players who shouldn't be there, it wouldn't be quite as much of an issue either, but that won't happen. I would love to see a minor league become viable, which is what the NBDL should be.
    The problem, for the NBA, is no one follows the NBDL. How many people outside of ISU fans know who the NBDL MVP was? College basketball, especially the tournament, is hugely popular and allows a guy like Kevin Durant or John Wall to become marketable stars before they even set foot in the NBA. If a kid really wanted to become the best basketball player he could be out of high school, he would go to Europe as soon as he graduated high school and play there for a year. He would be playing against much better competition and practicing much more than he would in the D-league, but so far we've only see a couple of kids go this route.

Pro
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 66
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 0

the latest rumor is that 873 KU undergrads bombarded their professors with requests to spend a few months in vegas but still be able to complete their coursework for the semester.

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 503
    Given: 1,004

Quote Originally Posted by CyJack13 View Post
    The problem, for the NBA, is no one follows the NBDL. How many people outside of ISU fans know who the NBDL MVP was? College basketball, especially the tournament, is hugely popular and allows a guy like Kevin Durant or John Wall to become marketable stars before they even set foot in the NBA. If a kid really wanted to become the best basketball player he could be out of high school, he would go to Europe as soon as he graduated high school and play there for a year. He would be playing against much better competition and practicing much more than he would in the D-league, but so far we've only see a couple of kids go this route.
    Yeah, I agree with what you're saying, I just wish the NBDL was a viable minor league, because what it has become is just a place to keep a glimmer of hope alive for those who still want to make it, but really hardly anyone gets promoted.

I'm just saying the system is flawed, which I think we all agree on. I love college basketball, but don't like the way it is going.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,464
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 149
    Given: 242

How does a student like that pass 2nd semester classes without even going. What a joke. That's what the NCAA should be looking at, but since it's KU bball I'm sure that's no problem.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 72

It'll be difficult to create a NBDL for kids who don't want to go to college. The college basketball powers definitely won't like it because there will be tons of talents who prefers to play ball without having to go to classes.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by LindenCy View Post
    Yeah, I agree with what you're saying, I just wish the NBDL was a viable minor league, because what it has become is just a place to keep a glimmer of hope alive for those who still want to make it, but really hardly anyone gets promoted.

I'm just saying the system is flawed, which I think we all agree on. I love college basketball, but don't like the way it is going.
    High school kids can go right into the NBDL now. They don't have to go to college, and I disagree that hardly anyone gets promoted.

At the end of this year 23% of NBA players had spent time in the D-League, so if you're talented enough the NBA finds you, especially if you're 19 or 20. While a lot of teams don't want to waste time on guys in their late 20's, I don't think they would hesitate to take a chance on a talented young prospect.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 2020cy View Post
    How does a student like that pass 2nd semester classes without even going. What a joke. That's what the NCAA should be looking at, but since it's KU bball I'm sure that's no problem.
    While this does not look good for the university, imagine you were going to ISU with no major and the only goal of taking the easiest 12 credits you could find to be eligible. I think you could find four random classes in the entire school that required little to no work to pass.

Addict
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

The D League doesn't have nearly as many roster spots to serve the same function as baseball's minor leagues. There's four or five levels of minor league baseball with 25 roster spots each.

Josh Selby going to college wasn't a waste for all parties involved because it gave NBA GMs more information, and some teams will not waste a high pick because of it.

Legend
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 455
    Given: 314

The ball is more in the NCAA's court on this than they want to admit. Why would Stern waste his time with this issue again? The "one and done" rule doesn't really help or hurt the NBA either way, and he has much bigger CBA issues to negotiate right now.

The best way to fix it (and probably the most unrealistic) would be some sort of gentleman's agreement to stop recruiting questionable or one year players. This, I think would force the NBA to change the rule, because you'd start having those guys taking Euro contracts or falling off the face of the earth instead of gaining media attention in the college game. If college hoops would play hardball it would force the NBA to make rules more palatable/beneficial to the college game, or overhaul the NBDL, or some combination of the two. It won't ever happen though.

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 451
    Given: 76

Stern had said that he wants to extend the age limit to match what the NFL has.