Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: Golf lessons

  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 27,820, Level: 51
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 830
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Scott34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    2,291
    Points
    27,820
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 19

    Golf lessons

    A couple weeks back, I wrote a thread about what clubs to get. Well I am going to try and get lessons this week. Now, I have shopped around and gotten some prices. I went to Golf Galaxy to see what the PGA professional charges there, its $50 for a half hour. I looked at Veenker and Chris has a single lesson for $60 which is about 45 minutes. The assistant pro has a single session for 30 or I could do a set of 3 lessons for 75. I was basically reaching out to the Fanatics once again to give me some feedback if they have done any of these lessons. I am going to have tomorrow off and thought that if the PGA pro at GG was worth the money, I would just do it then since I have the day off and it will probably be raining. Anyways, hopefully someone can give me some feedback on what would be a good way to go.

    Thanks Fanatics


    "Its time to roll up our sleeves, put on our hard hats and go to work together"


  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 149,665, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ZJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Snottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    3,446
    Points
    149,665
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 32

    Re: Golf lessons

    I know Jon Ward, the PGA Professional at Golf Galaxy, very well. He is great and does an amazing job relating to the average golfer. I would recommend him very highly.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 727,995, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,051
    Points
    727,995
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,074
    Given: 572

    Re: Golf lessons

    This guy impressed me on the radio...

    About Mark Egly



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 28,247, Level: 51
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 403
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,232
    Points
    28,247
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Cool Re: Golf lessons

    Search for Mark Egly on YouTube. He's got over 30 videos out there.


    King James

  5. #5
    Prospect
    Points: 3,878, Level: 18
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 372
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    46
    Points
    3,878
    Level
    18
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Golf lessons

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott34 View Post
    A couple weeks back, I wrote a thread about what clubs to get. Well I am going to try and get lessons this week. Now, I have shopped around and gotten some prices. I went to Golf Galaxy to see what the PGA professional charges there, its $50 for a half hour. I looked at Veenker and Chris has a single lesson for $60 which is about 45 minutes. The assistant pro has a single session for 30 or I could do a set of 3 lessons for 75. I was basically reaching out to the Fanatics once again to give me some feedback if they have done any of these lessons. I am going to have tomorrow off and thought that if the PGA pro at GG was worth the money, I would just do it then since I have the day off and it will probably be raining. Anyways, hopefully someone can give me some feedback on what would be a good way to go.

    Thanks Fanatics



  6. #6
    Prospect
    Points: 3,878, Level: 18
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 372
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    46
    Points
    3,878
    Level
    18
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Golf lessons

    Don't sign up for lessons yet. Go to a bookstore and buy "Ben Hogan's Five Lessons, The Modern Fundamentals of Golf". After you have a firm grasp of the book's instructions start going to the driving range working on what you have learned by hitting thousands of balls. When you feel comfortable with a club in your hands, think about lesson. Mimic the directions exactly and you will be light years ahead of 90% of golfers.



  7. #7
    Publisher
    Points: 772,556, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    15,798
    Points
    772,556
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 502
    Given: 133

    Re: Golf lessons

    I took lessons from Chris at Veenker last summer and he did wonders with my swing. In fact, I plan on going back here in a couple of weeks. I highly recommend him.



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 28,247, Level: 51
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 403
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,232
    Points
    28,247
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Cool Re: Golf lessons

    Quote Originally Posted by cdrake View Post
    Don't sign up for lessons yet. Go to a bookstore and buy "Ben Hogan's Five Lessons, The Modern Fundamentals of Golf". After you have a firm grasp of the book's instructions start going to the driving range working on what you have learned by hitting thousands of balls. When you feel comfortable with a club in your hands, think about lesson. Mimic the directions exactly and you will be light years ahead of 90% of golfers.


    I respectfully disagree with this advice. Go see a golf pro.


    King James

  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 44,255, Level: 65
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,295
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Subs
    Posts
    1,554
    Points
    44,255
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Golf lessons

    Mark Egly was noted a few years back by Golf Magazine as the best pro in Iowa. I have gone to him and he is terrific and his rates are very reasonable too. Don't be surprised if you see Dr. Tom or other high profile people driving at his range or getting a lesson as well. He is very respected here in the state. I am sure there are others, however, Mark is terrific based on my experience with golf pro's. Others, not so good.....

    Z


    The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

  10. #10
    Prospect
    Points: 7,492, Level: 25
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    68
    Points
    7,492
    Level
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Golf lessons

    Quote Originally Posted by cdrake View Post
    Don't sign up for lessons yet. Go to a bookstore and buy "Ben Hogan's Five Lessons, The Modern Fundamentals of Golf". After you have a firm grasp of the book's instructions start going to the driving range working on what you have learned by hitting thousands of balls. When you feel comfortable with a club in your hands, think about lesson. Mimic the directions exactly and you will be light years ahead of 90% of golfers.
    I strongly disagree with this! Get out and take a lesson and start right.



  11. #11
    Walk On
    Points: 11,313, Level: 32
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 637
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    166
    Points
    11,313
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Golf lessons

    Now you are finally talking about golf money spent wisely. I'd spend more on lessons than clubs when starting out.

    My advice: don't sign up for one lesson and be done. Talk to the pro and see if they can work a 6-8 week deal where you can see them once a week and get consistent feedback and coaching as the summer goes on. You will retain more of what is being taught and can get answers to questions on a routine basis.

    Years ago, I signed up for a 6 week program and learned more about the golf swing than I ever imagined.


    BillyClone

  12. #12
    Rookie
    Points: 10,771, Level: 31
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 479
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    375
    Points
    10,771
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 9

    Re: Golf lessons

    Ames parks & rec offers golf lessons in groups. has anybody done this?

    http://www.cityofames.org/modules/sh...ocumentid=1878


    Quote Originally Posted by bos View Post
    I'm sitting in an milford campsite bathroom right now listening to the sirens and a guy dropping a deuce. Please god don't take me now like this.

  13. #13
    Prospect
    Points: 7,492, Level: 25
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    68
    Points
    7,492
    Level
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Golf lessons

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyClone View Post
    Now you are finally talking about golf money spent wisely. I'd spend more on lessons than clubs when starting out.

    My advice: don't sign up for one lesson and be done. Talk to the pro and see if they can work a 6-8 week deal where you can see them once a week and get consistent feedback and coaching as the summer goes on. You will retain more of what is being taught and can get answers to questions on a routine basis.

    Years ago, I signed up for a 6 week program and learned more about the golf swing than I ever imagined.
    This is spot on!



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 355,836, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    18,898
    Points
    355,836
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 296
    Given: 39

    Re: Golf lessons

    Quote Originally Posted by chewbocka View Post
    Ames parks & rec offers golf lessons in groups. has anybody done this?

    http://www.cityofames.org/modules/sh...ocumentid=1878
    I wouldn't recommend anything in groups. Do it one on one and like it has been said, get a series of lessons.

    Also, there are a lot of self taught golfers who read a book but it's my opinion that a set of eyes does wonders. You will do things through the swing that you can't feel or see. The pro will see them.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 27,820, Level: 51
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 830
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Scott34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    2,291
    Points
    27,820
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 19

    Re: Golf lessons

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    I wouldn't recommend anything in groups. Do it one on one and like it has been said, get a series of lessons.

    Also, there are a lot of self taught golfers who read a book but it's my opinion that a set of eyes does wonders. You will do things through the swing that you can't feel or see. The pro will see them.
    I agree 100%. Up til now, I am all self taught. I have tried reading books and magazines and it just doesn't work for me. I have always wanted lessons and finally gonna do it. I really lack consistency and that is what I want to have. I can deal distance but if I can hit 8 outta 10 times, thats what i'm looking for.


    "Its time to roll up our sleeves, put on our hard hats and go to work together"


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM