Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 73
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 73,585, Level: 84
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,265
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thompsonclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,633
    Points
    73,585
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 503
    Given: 423

    LaDontae Henton article

    Scout.com: Henton takes visit to ISU
    Interesting to see Freddy say he could play the one at times.



  2. #2
    Rookie
    Points: 10,625, Level: 31
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 625
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    459
    Points
    10,625
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 8

    Re: LaDontae Henton article

    I think Fred wants versatile guards, all who are capable of bringing the ball up in primary/secondary transition. Last season it was mainly DG, with Jake also doing it a little bit.

    This season I expect McGee, Allen, Babb, Sledge, and some Scotty all able to bring the ball up. Now if we are in a half-court set, sure we'll have a more defined PG, but Fred likes to keep things fairly simple and we'll take every easy bucket we can get. As many people have previously noted, think back to our 3-guard lineup in '00. Nurse, Horton, Tinsley were all able to handle the ball at any time.



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 63,367, Level: 78
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,483
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cy4prez7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,801
    Points
    63,367
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 115

    Re: LaDontae Henton article

    Ughhhh...this is going to be a long wait!! I really hope we can land him (I think we can). That finally give Sledge another Freshman teammate.


    KCCO



    Follow me on Twitter: @mjballman20

  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 182,688, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Here nor there
    Posts
    15,642
    Points
    182,688
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,858
    Given: 2,440

    Re: LaDontae Henton article

    Quote Originally Posted by Thompsonclone21 View Post
    Scout.com: Henton takes visit to ISU
    Interesting to see Freddy say he could play the one at times.
    He played some as a pg in the youtube videos. Decent handle for his size, and I suspect he will continue to improve his perimeter game.



  5. #5
    Starter
    Points: 13,434, Level: 35
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 616
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Bardman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    651
    Points
    13,434
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 0

    Re: LaDontae Henton article

    Quote Originally Posted by HardcoreClone View Post
    I think Fred wants versatile guards, all who are capable of bringing the ball up in primary/secondary transition. Last season it was mainly DG, with Jake also doing it a little bit.

    This season I expect McGee, Allen, Babb, Sledge, and some Scotty all able to bring the ball up. Now if we are in a half-court set, sure we'll have a more defined PG, but Fred likes to keep things fairly simple and we'll take every easy bucket we can get. As many people have previously noted, think back to our 3-guard lineup in '00. Nurse, Horton, Tinsley were all able to handle the ball at any time.
    I imagine one of those guys emerging as the primary ball handler.

    As far as the article, its nice to see he only has a visit at Penn State lined up. I'm hoping he doesn't visit Texas.


    Mo Money, Mo Prohm-lems.

  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 81,617, Level: 88
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 333
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    brokenloginagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,234
    Points
    81,617
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 1

    Re: LaDontae Henton article

    fred's recruiting is really going to upset the 90% of of our fans who think recruits only fit into the 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 bucket. Did I say 90%? Sorry, I meant 98%. :)



  7. #7
    Rookie
    Points: 12,285, Level: 33
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 365
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    364
    Points
    12,285
    Level
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 67

    Re: LaDontae Henton article

    Henton would be a great recruit at this point. With Ashaolu possibly heading to the NBA, I wonder if Henton is getting our full attention. Does anyone know if both Henton and Ashaolu don't commit, who else we might have plans for?



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 182,688, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Here nor there
    Posts
    15,642
    Points
    182,688
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,858
    Given: 2,440

    Re: LaDontae Henton article

    Quote Originally Posted by LostinIowaCity View Post
    Henton would be a great recruit at this point. With Ashaolu possibly heading to the NBA, I wonder if Henton is getting our full attention. Does anyone know if both Henton and Ashaolu don't commit, who else we might have plans for?
    Maybe Percy Gibson.

    I wonder if we are looking at Brandon Cook from Valpo at all- same type of transfer as Olu, but a guard.



  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 82,322, Level: 89
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,428
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    TheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,194
    Points
    82,322
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 193
    Given: 74

    Re: LaDontae Henton article

    Quote Originally Posted by brokenloginagain View Post
    fred's recruiting is really going to upset the 90% of of our fans who think recruits only fit into the 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 bucket. Did I say 90%? Sorry, I meant 98%. :)

    I think you are wrong.I give a bit more credit to our fanbase.
    I understand your premise but I would say more like 40-50%.

    It doesnt really matter though.
    I trust CFH and think most others do too.


    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Excessive intake of alcohol, we all know, kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 182,688, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Here nor there
    Posts
    15,642
    Points
    182,688
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,858
    Given: 2,440

    Re: LaDontae Henton article

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    I think you are wrong.I give a bit more credit to our fanbase.
    I understand your premise but I would say more like 40-50%.

    It doesnt really matter though.
    I trust CFH and think most others do too.
    Additionally, most everyone is talking averages.
    It is very unlikely any player will see the minutes at the various positions be in equilibrium, and no team has a roster of players that are interchangeable. Thus the convention labels are useful and justified.



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 52,634, Level: 71
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,416
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    AlleyAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,609
    Points
    52,634
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: LaDontae Henton article

    I hung out with him most of the weekend and had breakfast at his house today
    Didn't Bruce Pearl get in trouble for something like this?



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 104,667, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    SvrWxCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,851
    Points
    104,667
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: LaDontae Henton article

    Quote Originally Posted by AlleyAddict View Post
    Didn't Bruce Pearl get in trouble for something like this?
    He got in trouble because he was doing it while they were not on official visits. In other words, it was unsanctioned contact with recruits.

    Henton was on an official visit to ISU, thus there should be no problem with this.



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 52,634, Level: 71
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,416
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    AlleyAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,609
    Points
    52,634
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: LaDontae Henton article

    Quote Originally Posted by SvrWxCy View Post
    He got in trouble because he was doing it while they were not on official visits. In other words, it was unsanctioned contact with recruits.

    Henton was on an official visit to ISU, thus there should be no problem with this.
    Oh, that makes sense, thanks.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 118,397, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acgclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9,726
    Points
    118,397
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,940
    Given: 292

    Re: LaDontae Henton article

    Quote Originally Posted by brokenloginagain View Post
    fred's recruiting is really going to upset the 90% of of our fans who think recruits only fit into the 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 bucket. Did I say 90%? Sorry, I meant 98%. :)
    Did we see DG playing the 3, or Ejim playing the 1 this year?

    No because we pretty much had a 1-2-2-3-4 line up. Obviously not traditional, but that's what we did and most Clone fans know that we can expect more of that type of line up.

    All those numbers represent is a category to best describe the players skill set so they are still useful and will be talked about on the boards. In fact, it sounded like Henton and Hoiber had a conversation about those spots, so there is still some value in talking abou the 1-5.

    Obviously there will always be a range that 75% of basketball players can play 2 or 3 spots if needed, and that isn't unique to Fred or ISU. With his style, it will probably be about 90% of our players as you mentioned. Typically the 5 spot is the main position where they are sort of pigeon holed.



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 91,324, Level: 94
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,826
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Rural's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    8,977
    Points
    91,324
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,274
    Given: 1,002

    Re: LaDontae Henton article

    Royce White also handles the ball well enough to add to the team's versatility.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBA
  • Football Season Opener vs. UNI
  • September 3, 2016
  • 07:00 PM