Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Fast Growing Trees

Another landscaping question! What do you suggest for the fastest growing trees in your yard? I am looking at silver maple, tulip poplar, aspens. I realize fast growing means root problems with buildings, etc. and sometimes short life spans but I am willing to take that chance. Looking at the Arbor Day website and they pratically give you trees although they are super small obviously. What have you guys had good luck with???

All-Star
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 39

Re: Fast Growing Trees

There is an aspen/poplar cross which grows very rapidly... I got mine twenty years ago out of Shimek Forest, with permission from the forester. Mine probably average 35' tall x 30' wide.

There is also the "famous" Austree.

All truisms are false. All of them.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 320

"Sometimes" short life spans? Almost inevitably. If you are going to plant "fast growing" trees, mix in some hardwoods which will be maturing when you start having problems with your quick maturing varieties.

Guy by my parents' house planted a row of poplars when I was a small kid. They grew quickly, and looked spectacular. By the time I was out of college, a couple had died, leaving breaks, and the others were half dead--and he didn't want to go to the expense of cutting them down.

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

All-Star
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 39

Absolutely stay away from straight poplars!

All truisms are false. All of them.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 19

River Birch

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,594
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 90

Quote Originally Posted by bobh33 View Post
    Another landscaping question! What do you suggest for the fastest growing trees in your yard? I am looking at silver maple, tulip poplar, aspens. I realize fast growing means root problems with buildings, etc. and sometimes short life spans but I am willing to take that chance. Looking at the Arbor Day website and they pratically give you trees although they are super small obviously. What have you guys had good luck with???
    I'm a Horticulture grad from ISU and a current landscape designer. Please, please, please don't plant any of those trees for residential settings. They are all fine for particular settings, but your yard isn't one of them.

Silver maples (Acer saccharinum) are fast growing, but are constantly dropping branches and are just going to be a headache down the road. They also have a TON of seeds in the spring that are a huge nuissance.

Tulip trees (Liriodendron tulipifera) grow fast, but have horrible branch angles and will surely break apart down the road with any snow/ice load.

Quaking Aspens (Populus tremuloides) are great in the mountains of Colorado where they grow into forests and large stands of trees, but don't generally fair to well in Iowa. I've seen so many 4-5" caliper aspens that have been completely uprooted by winds in new developments. Poor soils are their demise.

If you are looking for quick growing trees there are plenty that will stand the test to time. I'd suggest you look into the following:

(Acer xfreemanii) - These trees are crosses between red maples and silver maples. They grow fast like silver maples, but give you the durability of red maples. The most popular one on the market right now is trademarked Autumn Blaze.

(River Birch - Betulus nigra) Clump forming or single stem you can get a nice river birch. I would recommend the Heritage river birch as it is noted for having a nice white bark.

(Black Alder - Alnus glutinosa) Also can be clump forming or single stem. Quick growing tree.

There are other options, but those are your cheapest, hardiest choices.

Rookie
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Autumn Blase Maple - beautiful fall tree, hardy, well shaped. Never regreted my choice.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Aspen go fast and are fairly durable (when it comes to environment). Only complaint is that they are not the steadiest of trees. What I'm doing is planting Aspen to grow and provide quick shade and then I'm going to plant something stronger that lives longer and cut down the Aspen when needed.

Prospect
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post
    I'm a Horticulture grad from ISU and a current landscape designer. Please, please, please don't plant any of those trees for residential settings. They are all fine for particular settings, but your yard isn't one of them.

Silver maples (Acer saccharinum) are fast growing, but are constantly dropping branches and are just going to be a headache down the road. They also have a TON of seeds in the spring that are a huge nuissance.

Tulip trees (Liriodendron tulipifera) grow fast, but have horrible branch angles and will surely break apart down the road with any snow/ice load.

Quaking Aspens (Populus tremuloides) are great in the mountains of Colorado where they grow into forests and large stands of trees, but don't generally fair to well in Iowa. I've seen so many 4-5" caliper aspens that have been completely uprooted by winds in new developments. Poor soils are their demise.

If you are looking for quick growing trees there are plenty that will stand the test to time. I'd suggest you look into the following:

(Acer xfreemanii) - These trees are crosses between red maples and silver maples. They grow fast like silver maples, but give you the durability of red maples. The most popular one on the market right now is trademarked Autumn Blaze.

(River Birch - Betulus nigra) Clump forming or single stem you can get a nice river birch. I would recommend the Heritage river birch as it is noted for having a nice white bark.

(Black Alder - Alnus glutinosa) Also can be clump forming or single stem. Quick growing tree.

As a Landscape Architect I concur with the above tree analysis. My neighbor put in two silver maples he reveived from a friend for free. It took me a couple of years but finally talked him into removing them and replacing with Lindens.

Walk On
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 174
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post

Completly agree. I have a Forestry Degree from ISU. You don't want these trees in your yard. They may grow fast but will be more of a headache down the road.

Pro
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 715
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 223
    Given: 162

Some good advice from folks posting here. I am another ISU landscape architect alumnus and really want to diss the silver maple. I have a BIG one on my lot that was there when I bought the house. I wish I had cut it down 24 years ago and planted something different. Donít shy away from trees that have reputations as slow growers. In the last 20 years here I have watched the neighbors small silver maple (I failed in talking him into replacing it) grow in a big messy crap tree while the oaks on his lot have continued to grow into beautiful trees that enhance his property. Once established lindens and oaks will grow faster than most folks give them credit for.

I hate the silver maple in my yard as much as I love my redbud tree. I know we are talking shade tree here but every ISU alumni must find space in their yard for an Eastern Redbud tree! For those who arenít into trees itís the picturesque tree that blooms with the pink flowers before the leaves open. They are all over campus and they are thee iconic ISU tree. Mine is a cultivar from the U of M arboretum that is hardy here in the frozen north.

My ISU tree:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00352_m.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	270.1 KB 
ID:	9222   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00356_m.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	9223  

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 988
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Autumn blaze maple. Hands down

Starter
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 241
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

As long as we have the experts on here, I am looking for flowering trees to grow under my Oak, Hackberry, Walnut and Cedar backyard. These are all mature trees that are 60'+ foot high, there is about a 25+ foot clear space underneath them. The area is about 200 feet by 300 feet. I have covered the ground area with shade loving plants. I would like something in the 10-15 foot range that flowers, they would be in the shade all the time. Also looking for vines plants to grow on trellises that flower in the shade. I live in Eastern Nebraska. Thanks for any help in advance.

Prospect
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BoxsterCy View Post
    Some good advice from folks posting here. I am another ISU landscape architect alumnus and really want to diss the silver maple. I have a BIG one on my lot that was there when I bought the house. I wish I had cut it down 24 years ago and planted something different. Donít shy away from trees that have reputations as slow growers. In the last 20 years here I have watched the neighbors small silver maple (I failed in talking him into replacing it) grow in a big messy crap tree while the oaks on his lot have continued to grow into beautiful trees that enhance his property. Once established lindens and oaks will grow faster than most folks give them credit for.

I hate the silver maple in my yard as much as I love my redbud tree. I know we are talking shade tree here but every ISU alumni must find space in their yard for an Eastern Redbud tree! For those who arenít into trees itís the picturesque tree that blooms with the pink flowers before the leaves open. They are all over campus and they are thee iconic ISU tree. Mine is a cultivar from the U of M arboretum that is hardy here in the frozen north.

My ISU tree:
    I am also an ISU Graduate Landscape Architect and I have an Eastern Redbud in my back yard!! We love the tree and so do the songbirds. Great minds think alike.

Pro
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 26

I planted a Pin Oak in my front yard last year...didn't make the winter (dead) so now I've got to replace it. I just googled the Autumn Blaze Maple and it says it's a fast grower. So is that good or bad? I'm getting the impression fast growing is bad but is that not the case with the blaze maple?

Also, I've got a real wet spot in my yard and I was wanting to plant a weeping willow to soak up the moisture...how well will the willow soak up the moisture and is it true they can thrive in very wet soil?