Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 315
    Given: 1,269

Nafta coming to fruition

This is something to be worried about on so many levels. Here is another job that "Americans don't want to do." Not to mention the ENORMOUS security and safety risks of Mexican trucks all over our roads.

Big corporations and their puppet politicians are going to bring this country to its knees.

Union: Mexican Trucks Begin Crossing Border Saturday - Politics News Story - KNSD | San Diego

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,393
    Given: 655

Re: Nafta coming to fruition

I'm generally not one to agree with unions, but I have multiple concerns with this one. I can only imagine it will be just a little easier to transport illegals and drugs across the border now.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 275
    Given: 38

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    I'm generally not one to agree with unions, but I have multiple concerns with this one. I can only imagine it will be just a little easier to transport illegals and drugs across the border now.
    I am not worried about illegals and drugs, I am worried about bombs easily coming across. Pay off a mexican official, and get your nuke across the border easy.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Speechless
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,393
    Given: 655

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    I am not worried about illegals and drugs, I am worried about bombs easily coming across. Pay off a mexican official, and get your nuke across the border easy.
    Absolutely. That is another of my main concerns. Nukes or terrorists and their supplies in general.

Walk On
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 238
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

You guys are right. Sometimes I think that some people just dont get it.

We HAVE to know who is coming into our country, where they are going and that they are peaceful, law abiding, tax paying people who are an asset to society and that they go home when thier time is up.

More importantly, we need to make sure that they do not wish harm on Americans. This includes terrorist and illegal aliens who may commit crimes.

Legend
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

The Unions are involved in this issue because you can get a Mexican truck driver to work for a heck of a lot less than a Teamster.

The US Department of Transporation spent more than five years working to meet conditions Congress placed on cross-border trucking in 2001 and has met every condition placed on the program. The current plan ensures the safety of our highwasy while creating new economic opportunities for American businesses and lower costs for American consumers.

Link: Russell Roberts, How Safe is that Trucker in the Window?: Library of Economics and Liberty

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

yay, I can get my lead paint covered childrens toys from china even cheaper now that they never have to touch american hands!!! I am off to walmart to load up.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm a realist when it comes to trade liberalization, which is the underlying issue. Here are the historical benefits: higher disposable income per capita, low unemployment, almost constant GDP growth. Free trade is such a good thing that it's one of the few areas in which just about every economist you can name will agree.

The reason why you see and hear so much anti-NAFTA rhetoric is simply because of the optimal behavior of sector-level interest groups. They have no interest in economic growth or the health of the economy as a whole. Their interest (no pun intended) is in the benefit to their members, who are tied to a specific economic sector. They don't care how big the pie is, as long as their slice doesn't shrink.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Good article... Why do americans have to have everything cheaper, even at the expense of our long term health as a country. With all the outsourcing in IT, Customer Service, and now transportation... What is next, outsourcing accounting? Outsourcing sales? Outsourcing every single desk job in the US? Sure we will all save a few bucks next time we go to the store, but in a few decades the US will have no economy left.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Good article... Why do americans have to have everything cheaper, even at the expense of our long term health as a country. With all the outsourcing in IT, Customer Service, and now transportation... What is next, outsourcing accounting? Outsourcing sales? Outsourcing every single desk job in the US? Sure we will all save a few bucks next time we go to the store, but in a few decades the US will have no economy left.
    It we erect trade barriers , that will hasten the time period to where we have no economy remaining. If we are going to saddle American companies and factories with higher costs, we ensure that our companies and factories will no longer be competitive.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

A few interesting links examining outsourcing:

Policy / Economics of Outsourcing
    The Outsource of Confusion - When jobs go, we grow. [Pro-Outsourcing Article]
    Economic Benefits of Foreign Outsourcing [Mackinac Center for Public Policy]

Myths about Jobs and Outsourcing
    by Tim Kane, Brett D. Schaefer, and Alison Acosta Fraser
    WebMemo #467

Myth: Many people lose their jobs due to outsourcing.
    Fact: Outsourcing has little net impact, and represents less than 1 percent of gross job turnover.
    Over the past decade, America has lost an average of 7.71 million jobs every quarter.The most alarmist prediction of jobs lost to outsourcing, by Forrester Research, estimates that 3.3 million service jobs will be outsourced between 2000 and 2015—an average of 55,000 jobs outsourced per quarter, or only 0.71 percent of all jobs lost per quarter.

Myth: Free trade, free labor, and free capital harm the U.S. economy.
    Fact: Economic freedom is necessary for economic growth, new jobs, and higher living standards.
    A study conducted for the 2004 Index of Economic Freedom confirms a strong, positive relationship between economic freedom and per capita GDP. Countries that adopt policies antithetical to economic freedom, including trying to protect jobs of a few from outsourcing, tend to ****** economic growth, which leads to fewer jobs.

Myth: A job outsourced is a job lost.
    Fact: Outsourcing means efficiency.
    Outsourcing is a means of getting more final output with lower cost inputs, which leads to lower prices for all U.S. firms and families. Lower prices lead directly to higher standards of living and more jobs in a growing economy.

Myth: Outsourcing is a one-way street.
    Fact: Outsourcing works both ways.
    The number of jobs coming from other countries to the U.S. (jobs “insourced”) is growing at a faster rate than jobs lost overseas. According to the Organization for International Investment, the numbers of manufacturing jobs insourced to the United States grew by 82 percent, while the number outsourced overseas grew by only 23 percent.Moreover, these insourced jobs are often higher-paying than those outsourced.

Myth: American manufacturing jobs are moving to poor nations, especially China.
    Fact: Nations are losing manufacturing jobs worldwide, even China.
    America is not alone in experiencing declines in manufacturing jobs. U.S. manufacturing employment declined 11 percent between 1995 and 2002, which is identical to the average world decline.China has seen a sharper decline, losing 15 percent of its industrial jobs over the same period.

Myth: Only greedy corporations benefit from outsourcing.
    Fact: Everyone benefits from outsourcing.
    Outsourcing is about efficiency. As costs decline, every consumer benefits, including those who lose their jobs to outsourcing. A 2003 study by Michael W. Klein, Scott Schuh, and Robert K. Triest, which includes dislocation costs in its calculations, shows the benefits of trade outweighing its costs by 100 percent.

Myth: The government can protect American workers from outsourcing.
    Fact: Protectionism is isolationism and has a history of failure.
    Proposals to punish businesses that outsource jobs, institute tariffs, or change tax rules will carry unintended consequences if enacted. Such measures would injure U.S. firms that export goods and services and erode U.S. competitiveness, often in unexpected ways. Recent steel tariffs, for example, cost jobs in dozens of industries while raising prices for consumers.

Myth: Unemployment benefits should be extended beyond 26 weeks.
    Fact: Jobless benefits are already working
    The median duration of unemployment is now 10.9 weeks; most workers are covered by existing benefits, which last for 26 weeks. Extending today’s coverage to 39 weeks would cost billions of dollars and have little impact.

All-Star
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 931
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

* sigh *

Another brilliant decision by our ignorant, lying President.

Let me get this straight...

We're somehow keeping America safe by invading Iraq , who had nothing to do with 9/11, which conveniently pours BILLIONS of dollars into companies with Government contracts (Haliburton, for example) who just happen to be part-owned by our Vice President.

Then, we'll open up our roadways to barely regulated foreign transport vehicles, a move that saves the mega-corporations millions of dollars, ERRRRRR, saves the American consumer a few dollars.

No thanks, George. I'll gladly spend the extra $25/year in lost consumer savings to ensure these un-safe trucks never hit the roads my family drives on, or transport items that our Customs never inspects.

No wonder nearly everybody associated with his regime is running for the hills.....

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISU_Alum_2000 View Post
    * sigh *

We're somehow keeping America safe by invading Iraq , who had nothing to do with 9/11, which conveniently pours BILLIONS of dollars into companies with Government contracts (Haliburton, for example) who just happen to be part-owned by our Vice President.

Then, we'll open up our roadways to barely regulated foreign transport vehicles, a move that saves the mega-corporations millions of dollars, ERRRRRR, saves the American consumer a few dollars.

No thanks, George. I'll gladly spend the extra $25/year in lost consumer savings to ensure these un-safe trucks never hit the roads my family drives on, or transport items that our Customs never inspects.

No wonder nearly everybody associated with his regime is running for the hills.....
    There are many policy issues that I find myself in disagreement with the current Administration. However, this is not one of those issues.

So you'll risk saving some Teamsters jobs but risk making American industry less competitive? When you make American industry less competitive that translates into a loss of jobs for American workers.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,345
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 100

Quote Originally Posted by ISU_Alum_2000 View Post
    * sigh *

I can't believe I wasted 30 seconds of my day reading this crap. I have become much dumber as a result..

Prospect
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Yes, we will soon be outsourcing every single desk job in the US.

Where it makes sense that is. I work at a very large corporation that has trade and offices all over the world. My understanding is that we have obviously outsourced some IT work, and are planning on moving some Accounting work as well. The people who just type in forms won't be doing it in America for long. Unless the material they are typing is classified, and than they have to have clearance to do it.

I know it's a movie that's humourous, but if you want to see where we are headed as a country, see Idiocracy. I see the economy changing to a mostly service economy here in the future. We will all just work at Wal-Mart or Target selling each other stuff. But, hey as long as prices are cheap those jobs will keep letting you buy Tv's and DVDs. O, and your ISU tickets of course.