Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 29

Home Theater Equipment

Having the basement redone on our house and we are making one room a movie room.

Will be sheet rocking within two weeks and need to get the wire run pretty soon.

Only problem is I am not the most familiar with these systems and will need some guidance. I have close to zero interest in working with Best Buy and their "sales team". Just looking for some recommendations in central Iowa on places to go that know their stuff but aren't just trying to sell me the highest priced system like Best Buy does.

Thanks

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 166
    Given: 27

Re: Home Theater Equipment

Audio Video Logic in urbandale.

Or just do some research and mail order all the equip from a good dealer like onecall.com.

Do you have any specific questions? What is your budget? Are you doing in wall or standalone?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Audio Video Logic in urbandale.

Or just do some research and mail order all the equip from a good dealer like onecall.com.

Do you have any specific questions? What is your budget? Are you doing in wall or standalone?
    Would like to do some in wall. Looking at piecing it together through components instead of just buying an all in one box system. Have heard it is better to just build your own system.

My main problem is speaker location for the back speakers and the sub. The TV will be mounted at an angle in a corner, this is being done so the TV faces to corner section of L couch. I wanted straight room with stadium seating but wife wanted something that could also be used as a living room for the kids (even though there will be a whole other living room/play room for the kids). Should still be a nice layout when done but not sure how to handle surround speakers when an l couch and an angled TV. Also have a good spot for sub up by TV but not sure if a sub should be place behind couch as it will be open to another room so not sure how good a random sub sitting there would look. Also didn't know if a sub can be put in a box or if they are best to be left out in the open.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 166
    Given: 27

In a room like that I would put the sub in the front corner right under the TV and do either in wall or standalone fronts with in ceiling rears. You can get a whole matched set from AVL, or mail order NHT's for each if you want to save a little $$$. I would spend the most $$ on a good velodyne sub, that will be the most important part for a good home theater system. If you did in walls and just had a corner shelf below the TV for a center, it would have a high WAF (wife acceptance factor).

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Starter
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 921
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 14

In a room like that I would put the sub in the front corner right under the TV and do either in wall or standalone fronts with in ceiling rears. You can get a whole matched set from AVL, or mail order NHT's for each if you want to save a little $$$. I would spend the most $$ on a good velodyne sub, that will be the most important part for a good home theater system. If you did in walls and just had a corner shelf below the TV for a center, it would have a high WAF (wife acceptance factor).
    I concur brianhos.
    I did the Velodyne thing and the NHT thing, and the Krell thing, all from Audio Video
    Logic.
    They really know their stuff out there.
    And trust me, they can install the $200 dollar stuff and the $95,000 stuff.

All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    J.R.R. Tolkien

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 476
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

I agree with Audio Video Logic. Sub should be placed next to the mains and center, I have the same set-up in the corner. You are welcome to come over and listen. PM me.

Addict
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 507
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 75

Travvis Audio/Video on Douglas Ave in DM. They'll match anything the Big Box stores can offer and with higher quality equipement.

CCG

Pro
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

cayin would be the user to ask, send him a PM.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the info. Next question about sub is it OK to have sub sit in an open shelf below TV. The corner is being made into a custom built in shelving/wall that the TV will mount to and have some component shelves built into the wall below it. If a sub is sitting on one off the bottom shelves below TV will it cause any problems. Will it affect the sound of the sub and will it cause rattling etc or should it just be sitting on floor by TV.

Legend
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 203
    Given: 300

I've been very happy with the home theater I built a few years ago on the cheap.

NHT front 3 speakers that I've had for 10 years
    2 Paradigm Surround speakers
    Elemental designs subwoofer. Made in Newton but know nation wide.

PS3, Denon A/V receiver, slingbox, etc all in hidden portion of the basement

I've since got a bigger screen. The one in the pictures is 99". I now have 110:.

I've had decent luck with AV logic but you will pay a little more. There are some thing I would buy from them and some things I wouldn't. They know what they are talking about but I wouldn't buy a projector from them. They are usually overpriced and a model behind when it comes to projectors. I did buy my NHT's from these guys.

I highly recommend elemental designs. They are great guys and their stuff offers a lot of bang/buck. I only bought a sub from them after I toured there factory in Newton.

Last edited by dmclone; 04-22-2011 at 09:33 PM.

Legend
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 203
    Given: 300

I now need to buy some theater seating

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 44

Something to keep in mind before you sheetrock... I ran monster cable where I wanted the back speakers and to the front wall where the front speakers and the center unit go. Man was I proud.

Got a great deal on an Onkyo system and felt even better because the deal was with a 7.1 surround sound. Then I get home and figure out that I did a great job at wiring 5.1 so what do I do now with the two other speakers? Sounds like I could make the high front speakers as an option instead of the side or rear wire job. Anyone have any experience with that?

All-Star
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,044
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 1

Not trying to bash the folks who went with Velodyne, but if you want a sub that I've found blow Velodynes away (quantity yes, but especially quality), go with SVS. They are available online only (svsound.com) and cost about the same (or slightly less) than comparable Velodynes. Take a look at their site & read reviews, I promise you won't be disappointed.

FWIW: I spent a bunch of cash on a Velodyne a few years back and was really underwhelmed with it. I tried several placement locations, varied the cross-over levels, adjusted the phasing, but nothing worked. I thought it was a bad sub, so I got a replacement.....same thing. I decided to do a bunch of research and ended up taking a gamble on SVS, based on all the reviews, even though I couldn't "audition" it. Best Home Theater puchase I've ever made. It sounds incredible, can shake the house if I want it to & cost slightly less than the Velodyne.

Last edited by ISU_phoria; 04-22-2011 at 10:59 PM.