Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 314
    Given: 113

Tired of Getting Credit Card Offers?

I attended an Identity Theft course this week and learned of a few helpful sites to help reduce my potential for Identity Theft.

There are "dumpster" divers out there looking for your info and filling out credit card apps in your name seem to be fairly common. Its really easy to do this if you have other info in your garbage that will help to complete the app.

I decided to "opt out" of allowing Equifax, Experian, and Innovis to make money off my credit info so credit card companies (and others) cannot obtain it and then send me offers in the mail. If you do this electronically (on-line) it opts you out for 5 years. If you mail it they will do so indefinitely.

https://www.optoutprescreen.com/opt_form.cgi

Also, I understand one can "freeze" his kids' SS accounts to prevent someone else from using their SSN's. Identity thieves target kids' SSN's because they can get usually get away with it for years before anyone knows it. Has anyone here done this? Basically, I am just taking steps to minimize my risk of being an identity theft victim.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

"The difference between keeping what you have all to yourself and coveting what someone else has lies within your willingness to give versus your desire to take"

- temperflare

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 314
    Given: 113

Re: Tired of Getting Credit Card Offers?

Found out how to put a freeze on your SSN. There are some drawbacks, but my primary interest is in freezing my kids' SSN's.

Equifax Online Help: How to place a security freeze

"The difference between keeping what you have all to yourself and coveting what someone else has lies within your willingness to give versus your desire to take"

- temperflare