Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: I hope

  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 187,171, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ottumwa
    Posts
    9,732
    Points
    187,171
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 674
    Given: 87

    I hope

    that the suit against the BCS by the Utah attorney general is successful.

    I'm going to laugh my *** off when the college presidents decide to go back to the pre BCS format and Boise St and their ilk no longer are able to play in major bowl games unless that bowl invites them (unlikely).

    No program in the country has benefited from the BCS more than Boise St, yet they are routinely among the chief dissenters of the system.

    I think people who believe that eliminating the BCS will lead to a playoff have a rude awakening coming to them.



  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 58,707, Level: 75
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,343
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,379
    Points
    58,707
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 0

    Re: I hope

    I'm probably one of the only college football fans in the country that does not want a playoff. College Football is the only sport where year in/year out, the 'Champion' will always have a legitimate argument that they were the best team that season. No other sport can make that claim.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 361,947, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,302
    Points
    361,947
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 579
    Given: 80

    Re: I hope

    The more I look at everything, such as any playoff system, the more I think the BCS is not crazy. March Madness is awesome, don't get me wrong. It's maybe the greatest event of the year for me, however, in terms of finding the best team in the Nation, can we say it's effective? I don't think so. I think with the BCS and how competitive each conference is, the worst case scenario to date is that you have 2 undefeated major conference teams or TCU or BSU or Utah makes a case(TCU and Utah will have that trouble no more). I think far and away, the BCS has gotten closer than any other crowing entity in finding the best team over the course of the year. Tournaments work a lot of the time, don't get me wrong, however it would be hard to argue a time in which the BCS hasn't likely gotten the right two teams in the championship. I know, I'll have opposition to this stance because people do want to see the matchups, but in terms of crowing the best team over the course of a whole season, the BCS gives us the best shot. Notice I didn't say it's foolproof.


    It's all snark from here on out

  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 285,555, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 94.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VeloClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Posts
    14,311
    Points
    285,555
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,307
    Given: 2,351

    Re: I hope

    Quote Originally Posted by clone52 View Post
    I'm probably one of the only college football fans in the country that does not want a playoff. College Football is the only sport where year in/year out, the 'Champion' will always have a legitimate argument that they were the best team that season. No other sport can make that claim.
    Generally there are two or three other teams making the same legitimate argument...


    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 361,947, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,302
    Points
    361,947
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 579
    Given: 80

    Re: I hope

    And Clark-I never thought of it that way. I root for BSU, however, if they would become more of a university and less of a four year JUCO, someone would invite them to their conference. I wouldn't be against the Big 12 adding them as it is. I mean they aren't much worse than KSU.


    It's all snark from here on out

  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 361,947, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,302
    Points
    361,947
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 579
    Given: 80

    Re: I hope

    Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    Generally there are two or three other teams making the same legitimate argument...
    Yes, but was UCONN or Butler even close to the best team in college basketball this year? I know I am cherry picking here but his point is that the Champion will, with certainty, have the most legitimate argument. I understand your point though. In any system you will have these issues.


    It's all snark from here on out

  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 58,707, Level: 75
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,343
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,379
    Points
    58,707
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 0

    Re: I hope

    Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    Generally there are two or three other teams making the same legitimate argument...
    Absolutely. There will rarely be a time where its obvious, but at the very least there is always a legitimate argument that the national champion in is the best team for the season. No other sport is like that.

    I wouldn't change the other sports either, I just like that college football is different.



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 64,472, Level: 78
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 378
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,067
    Points
    64,472
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 224
    Given: 48

    Re: I hope

    Give me a plus one system and I'm good. I wouldn't want anymore than that, an eight or sixteen team playoff will never happen.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 207,211, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    longtimeclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Up north
    Posts
    7,820
    Points
    207,211
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 37

    Re: I hope

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    And Clark-I never thought of it that way. I root for BSU, however, if they would become more of a university and less of a four year JUCO, someone would invite them to their conference. I wouldn't be against the Big 12 adding them as it is. I mean they aren't much worse than KSU.
    I cheer for BSU too just to cause more controversy but I think they are a little better than KSU. With KSU's schedule I bet BSU wins 9-10 games last year.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 154,874, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    weR138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,525
    Points
    154,874
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 32

    Re: I hope

    Quote Originally Posted by clone52 View Post
    I'm probably one of the only college football fans in the country that does not want a playoff. College Football is the only sport where year in/year out, the 'Champion' will always have a legitimate argument that they were the best team that season. No other sport can make that claim.
    Well, I'm with you. I love the old system and the traditional bowls. People with a hard-on for playoff football have the NFL and FCS. Leave the greatest sport on Earth alone!


    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 94,276, Level: 95
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 774
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Frak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dow City, IA
    Posts
    5,709
    Points
    94,276
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 143
    Given: 60

    Re: I hope

    Didn't UCONN end up 9th in their own conference? They got on one hell of a roll, but to say that they were the best team in the country last year...I don't know. Besides, a playoff likely leads to superconferences and that wouldn't go well for ISU. I'm all for keeping it how things are.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 361,947, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,302
    Points
    361,947
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 579
    Given: 80

    Re: I hope

    Quote Originally Posted by CyJack13 View Post
    Give me a plus one system and I'm good. I wouldn't want anymore than that, an eight or sixteen team playoff will never happen.
    I may be in favor of that. At least then you don't give an 8 seed the chance of beating the 1.

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeclone View Post
    I cheer for BSU too just to cause more controversy but I think they are a little better than KSU. With KSU's schedule I bet BSU wins 9-10 games last year.
    I meant in terms of institutions. That's why I don't think BSU will ever be invited anywhere. They just are not good academically.


    It's all snark from here on out

  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 106,082, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,180
    Points
    106,082
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 307
    Given: 0

    Re: I hope

    The BCS makes every week important. Thats what makes it fun all season long. I have no interest in seeing a playoff system.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 64,472, Level: 78
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 378
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,067
    Points
    64,472
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 224
    Given: 48

    Re: I hope

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    I meant in terms of institutions. That's why I don't think BSU will ever be invited anywhere. They just are not good academically.
    Boise St is one bad hire away from being San Jose St. They would be extremely risky to invite to any major conference, their downside is much greater than the potential upside.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 361,947, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,302
    Points
    361,947
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 579
    Given: 80

    Re: I hope

    Quote Originally Posted by CyJack13 View Post
    Boise St is one bad hire away from being San Jose St. They would be extremely risky to invite to any major conference, their downside is much greater than the potential upside.
    Very true.


    It's all snark from here on out

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 11:00 AM