Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Re: Sooners and the NCAA

And here is another area that OU is being investigated by the NCAA

Link: Oklahoma to seek NCAA waiver for booster to raise funds for recruit's funeral - NCAA Football - Yahoo! Sports

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Mariner Moose
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,234
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 588

How could you see any problem with this? The kid was committed to play for them, and as such, was a part of their "Sooner Family." There should be no problem with them raising funds to help pay for the costs of services for such a tragic death for a person with so much promise left in his life.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Following is the second article that I was trying to link that also addresses NCAA Sanctions against OU:[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Saturday night is a big night for redshirt freshman Sam Bradford. 85,000 screaming fans will pack into Oklahoma Memorial Stadium dressed in crimson and cream, ready to see the quarterback take his first snap. [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']The expectations for this season are high, and Saturday night is where it all begins. And just 350 miles south, a similar situation will take place on Thursday night. Approximately 14,000 fans will show up in hopes of seeing something special. It's the beginning of a new football season for the Sam Houston State Bearkats as well, and if you think there is a lot of hype about Bradford in Norman, you should hear what the people in Huntsville are saying about this Rhett Bomar kid. [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']And it's not just someone with the same name as the guy who was dismissed from the OU football team for taking money from Big Red Sports and Imports without working -- he is that guy. He's the same guy who was supposed to be the next big quarterback at OU. He's the same guy who right now would be a junior, poised to begin a run at a national championship with an extremely talented team. And he's the same selfish son of a gun who just over a year ago, ruined the hopes of Sooner fans everywhere and spurred one of the most unlucky football seasons in OU history. [/FONT]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']It's him. And he's playing football again. [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']But that's fine with me. That's not my guff with the situation. Rhett Bomar made an incredibly stupid mistake, but he's paid for it. He's sat out for a year in Huntsville, Texas (the prison capital of the world, fittingly) and now he's the starting quarterback for the Sam Houston State Bearkats. That's fine. [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']What bothers me is this: Bomar, the one who made the mistake, is no longer being punished. Sure, he's not at OU anymore, but he's playing football. OU, however, is still dealing with the repercussions of Bomar's decision. That's ludicrous. [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']If you think Bomar's punishment is continuing because he's not longer playing for a national title contender, you should hear what the cocky quarterback is saying. Bomar recently spoke to Brian Davis of the Dallas Morning News about the difference of playing for Sam Houston State as opposed to OU. [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']"Yeah, there's not going to be 85,000 in the stands every week," Bomar said. "But when you're playing ball, you're playing ball. You don't pay attention to the crowd anyway. I can still achieve my goals in the future of going to the NFL and everything like that here. It's not like that's impossible. I may have had to take a detour, but it didn't affect my talents." [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Well good for Bomar. And if you sense some bitterness in my voice, you're wrong because if Bomar gets into the NFL that's impressive -- because he had to overcome a lot of obstacles, self-created obstacles mind you, but obstacles none the less -- to get there. [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']But how is it anything close to fair if after the 2008 season Rhett Bomar graduates and is drafted into the NFL but the Sooners are sitting there with no wins for the 2005 season, less scholarships, and less coaches allowed to recruit. I'm not asking for more punishment for Bomar, I'm asking for the NCAA to just lay off OU. [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Because personally, I've never received a decent explanation of what they did wrong. If the team knew where Bomar was working (and I'm sure they did) and even if they monitored every one of his paychecks (I'm sure they didn't) how would they know that he wasn't actually working those hours? Did the owners at Big Red Sports and Imports really write paychecks for Bomar that said "Hours Worked: 2.5, Hourly Wage: $8.50, Total: $427.33"? I doubt it. [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']And even if they did, the idea that the Sooner coaching staff can really monitor every single one of their players extra-curricular activities is absolutely insane -- because working (or not working in this case) is an extra curricular activity. You know what else is an extra-curricular activity? Carrying guns and marijuana. But when University of Texas cornerback Tarell Brown and two other UT players were arrested for carrying a handgun and marijuana last September, Texas was not punished at all. Furthermore, Mack Brown and the Texas coaching staff handed down the stiff penalty of suspending the players for one game. Seriously. [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']But again, I don't think the University of Texas should be punished, just like I don't think Bomar should be punished anymore either. I just think the University of Oklahoma has paid their dues as well. They cut Bomar. They've faced public humiliation. They toughed out an extremely difficult 2006 season. And if Rhett Bomar is about to be able to put everything behind him come Thursday night, it's only fair that OU can do the same.[/FONT]

[/FONT]