Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 498
    Given: 129

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 12

Re: Cyclone Roundup: 4-18

I'd put us as an 11 seed right now.

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 436
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 0

its kind of funny that lunardi's brackets are free....but his explanation of how he came up with those brackets is "insider" content. it definitely boosts the "controversy."

i believe its against the rules of the internet to post paid content, so let's just say lunardi used a quantitative system to make his picks based on returning talent, efficiency rankings, and recruiting rankings. he acknolwedges its VERY early and not a perfect system (particularly considering he assumes almost everyone stays in the draft).

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 125
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

How did Lunardi's bracket turn out last year?

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/IanWsmith3

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,061
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 15

i heard you say that you wouldnt be suprised if ISU didnt make the tourney and the co host said they wouldnt make it...

My guess is ISU finishes in the Top 3 of the Big 12 next year. With what Fred did last year, and the talent he has this year, i dont see how they dont. Ejim, and Godfrey should be improved and they were already good. With the additional help Godfrey could be a beast. The only question mark for me is PG. DG was great last year. if we have PG then ISU has a great shot to win the BIG12 with all the turnover the league underwent this offseason.

Last edited by Tedcyclone; 04-19-2011 at 12:54 PM.

Publisher
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tedcyclone View Post
    i heard you say that you wouldnt be suprised if ISU didnt make the tourney and the co host said they would make it...

My guess is ISU finishes in the Top 3 of the Big 12 next year. With what Fred did last year, and the talent he has this year, i dont see how they dont. Ejim, and Godfrey should be improved and they were already good. With the additional help Godfrey could be a beast. The only question mark for me is PG. DG was great last year. if we have PG then ISU has a great shot to win the BIG12 with all the turnover the league underwent this offseason.
    Last night on KXNO? I said that if I had to pick right now, I'd put Iowa State in as a bubble team, just like I wrote in the above article.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Last night on KXNO? I said that if I had to pick right now, I'd put Iowa State in as a bubble team, just like I wrote in the above article.

ps i meant your co host said they wouldnt make it. then i apoligize...i did read the article... maybe i thought you should come off more convincing, but maybe you dont want to sound like a cyclone homer. :) id have to listen again. i just remember thinking... come on chris tell the other guys there is no way ISU doesnt have the talent to be top tier in the league next year. The only teams i see with better or equal talent on paper... now this is on paper, are..

Texas
    Baylor
    Maybe A&M, I have ISU tied with them in 3rd place.

Home court wins will be huge next year in 10 team league.

Publisher
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

ps i meant your co host said they wouldnt make it. then i apoligize...i did read the article... maybe i thought you should come off more convincing, but maybe you dont want to sound like a cyclone homer. :) id have to listen again. i just remember thinking... come on chris tell the other guys there is no way ISU doesnt have the talent to be top tier in the league next year. The only teams i see with better or equal talent on paper... now this is on paper, are..

Texas
    Baylor
    Maybe A&M, I have ISU tied with them in 3rd place.

Home court wins will be huge next year in 10 team league.
    I talked for five minutes about how the talent is there man. I said I'd put them in the tournament but by no means is this a landslide argument. I'm not sure exactly what you want me to say. On paper, yes, things look good right now. But I've yet to see these guys play together. IMO, this isn't the slam dunk that you make it out to be.

Also, two of the three of us called Iowa State a tournament team. Not bad if you ask me.

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 570
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103
    Given: 114

On a less argumentative note :), those videos were hilarious!

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    I talked for five minutes about how the talent is there man. I said I'd put them in the tournament but by no means is this a landslide argument. I'm not sure exactly what you want me to say. On paper, yes, things look good right now. But I've yet to see these guys play together. IMO, this isn't the slam dunk that you make it out to be.

Also, two of the three of us called Iowa State a tournament team. Not bad if you ask me.

i did hear 2 of 3 of you... im not complaining, even if sounded that way. I just dont see how ISU doesnt make the tourney unless everyone of the guys that transfered just are not what they appear. if they are 80% of what everyone thinks they are this is a NCAA team. I still think its a slam dunk and would be very disappointed if they didnt make it. That doesnt mean they dont have to fight for it, they do.. But with what Hoiberg did last year if this team gives the same effort, they are in.

Addict
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 116

My first reaction is to be offended. Like many have said, we have amassed a lot of talent that nobody is talking about (lately). I chalk this up to: blinded by the NCAA tournament, and the fact that it is SOO RARE to go from worst to top half/ third of the league. Think for a second from the perspective of an outsider... Is it possible to be 3 - 12, then 10- 8 or better? That's a big change - hard to fathom unless you're a fan.

Maybe it's better this way - get no respect, no attention, then dunk the **** out of everybody next year.

Realistically, I think we are bubble or better next year - really hoping we are in the round of 32. Within the conference, I think we can be 3, 4, or 5. I see Tex, Baylor, aTM, KU, ISU and maybe Mizzourah as the top teams. As stated before, home wins are SOO important.

Now, if we were able to add someone immediately eligible, talented, and experienced... Like say Olu, my expectations will go up even more. An addition of a frosh won't change my expectations. Losing Railey w/o the right replacement might lessen my expectations from the standpoint of post- depth. Believe it or not, those fouls he gave up this year DO matter.

Last edited by madcityCY; 04-19-2011 at 01:20 PM.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

[
    Now, if we were able to add someone immediately eligible, talented, and experienced... Like say Olu, my expectations will go up even more. An addition of a frown won't change my expectations. Losing Railey w/o the right replacement might lessen my expectations from the standpoint of post- depth. Believe it or not, those fouls he gave up this year DO matter.[/QUOTE]

agreed Railey is a big player for us. having a guy with his size that can run the floor and give us minutes is huge. if he develops his shot a little more and adds a little maturity he will be a valuable asset.

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 459
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 27

i did hear 2 of 3 of you... im not complaining, even if sounded that way. I just dont see how ISU doesnt make the tourney unless everyone of the guys that transfered just are not what they appear. if they are 80% of what everyone thinks they are this is a NCAA team. I still think its a slam dunk and would be very disappointed if they didnt make it. That doesnt mean they dont have to fight for it, they do.. But with what Hoiberg did last year if this team gives the same effort, they are in.
    Let me play devil's advocate: ISU is a team with no true PG. They are going to depend on a JUCO combo guard, a transfer combo guard from MSU that was decent, but not great there and a true freshman. Scotty C. can shoot, but can't defend. Babb was a role player at PSU. Booker underachieved in the MVC. White has never played a college game. Ejim can't handle the ball well enough to play the 3. And Godfrey limits the offense because of his poor outside shot. Not to mention ISU will have a second year HC without his security blanket in Lutz with a team that will take a Phil Jackson-type of effort in blending talents and personalities.

As much as we all WANT the team to be great, they STILL have a bunch of holes. If you are EXPECTING the Dance, IMO you are setting yourself up for a meltdown. Expect the NIT. Anything above that is gravy.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    Let me play devil's advocate: ISU is a team with no true PG. They are going to depend on a JUCO combo guard, a transfer combo guard from MSU that was decent, but not great there and a true freshman. Scotty C. can shoot, but can't defend. Babb was a role player at PSU. Booker underachieved in the MVC. White has never played a college game. Ejim can't handle the ball well enough to play the 3. And Godfrey limits the offense because of his poor outside shot. Not to mention ISU will have a second year HC without his security blanket in Lutz with a team that will take a Phil Jackson-type of effort in blending talents and personalities.

As much as we all WANT the team to be great, they STILL have a bunch of holes. If you are EXPECTING the Dance, IMO you are setting yourself up for a meltdown. Expect the NIT. Anything above that is gravy.

well i think the only thing in the way is finding a true PG that plays good basketball. if we get that, we are in the dance no questions asked. we will have the exact samething we had last year minus DG, plus more big men and experience. replace DG and next years cyclone team will be real good.

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 459
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 27

well i think the only thing in the way is finding a true PG that plays good basketball. if we get that, we are in the dance no questions asked. we will have the exact samething we had last year minus DG, plus more big men and experience. replace DG and next years cyclone team will be real good.
    So, replace a four year starter that was leading the team in scoring and assists and was 2nd team all-big 12. That's it? I personally don't think that it is going to be all that easy.