Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 18,943, Level: 41
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    ce1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    981
    Points
    18,943
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 105

    Fans Following Recruits on Facebook

    Great article in the NY Times today. The article says if you're friending a recruit on Facebook to encourage them to attend a certain University, you are commiting an NCAA violation. It also says it happens all the time.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/18/sp...ecruiting.html


    "It's just another gym" -- Jamaal Tinsley, on playing at Phog Allen Fieldhouse

  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 184,865, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    CtownCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    9,661
    Points
    184,865
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 696
    Given: 584

    Re: Fans Following Recruits on Facebook

    This is a tough one to police. Lots of folks are unaware of what exactly the NCAA recruiting rules are and what constitutes a violation (sometimes, this includes the NCAA itself...). One reason not to be a Facebook stalker!



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 43,102, Level: 64
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,148
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cycfan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    3,350
    Points
    43,102
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 192
    Given: 11

    Re: Fans Following Recruits on Facebook

    Quote Originally Posted by CtownCyclone View Post
    This is a tough one to police. Lots of folks are unaware of what exactly the NCAA recruiting rules are and what constitutes a violation (sometimes, this includes the NCAA itself...). One reason not to be a Facebook stalker!
    It's a tough one to police because I could create a fake facebook profile and try and convince an Iowa recruit to go there, therefore committing an NCAA violation for Iowa. In my opinion, this will never be enforceable.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 296,083, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    17,438
    Points
    296,083
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 755
    Given: 109

    Fans Following Recruits on Facebook

    I don't ever talk to recruits on Facebook and I've stopped doing it on twitter.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 84,254, Level: 90
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,296
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,454
    Points
    84,254
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,336
    Given: 285

    Re: Fans Following Recruits on Facebook

    There's no way for the NCAA to enforce this. What is stopping me from pretending to be say a Texas or Oklahoma fan and bombarding one of their recruits with messages in order to get an NCAA violation for them?

    Also, it's very creepy that people actually friend these kids and try to persuade them to attend a certain school.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 102,494, Level: 99
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 556
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Frak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    6,237
    Points
    102,494
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 426
    Given: 271

    Re: Fans Following Recruits on Facebook

    Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    I don't ever talk to recruits on Facebook and I've stopped doing it on twitter.
    I'll follow some recruits on twitter, but I just read their tweets to get an idea what they are thinking, don't converse with them.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 184,865, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    CtownCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    9,661
    Points
    184,865
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 696
    Given: 584

    Re: Fans Following Recruits on Facebook

    Quote Originally Posted by cycfan1 View Post
    It's a tough one to police because I could create a fake facebook profile and try and convince an Iowa recruit to go there, therefore committing an NCAA violation for Iowa. In my opinion, this will never be enforceable.
    Sounds like something I need to try out!



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 146,518, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RayShimley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Stillwater, MN
    Posts
    6,211
    Points
    146,518
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 231
    Given: 43

    Re: Fans Following Recruits on Facebook

    I think it is impossible to enforce if you are talking about your average Joe Undergrad or Middle-Class Alum. I'd be pretty leary of anyone who is considered a booster of any type for a school doing this.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 338,750, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    CyCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rolling dirty in Roland.
    Posts
    16,011
    Points
    338,750
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,087
    Given: 200

    Re: Fans Following Recruits on Facebook

    Quote Originally Posted by CyJack13 View Post
    There's no way for the NCAA to enforce this. What is stopping me from pretending to be say a Texas or Oklahoma fan and bombarding one of their recruits with messages in order to get an NCAA violation for them?

    Also, it's very creepy that people actually friend these kids and try to persuade them to attend a certain school.
    I agree with this.



  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 63,493, Level: 78
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,357
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cy4prez7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,804
    Points
    63,493
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 115

    Re: Fans Following Recruits on Facebook

    Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    I don't ever talk to recruits on Facebook and I've stopped doing it on twitter.
    Same here when I found out it was probably not legal. I didn't really tweet them much anyway, but now not at all!


    KCCO



    Follow me on Twitter: @mjballman20

  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 102,850, Level: 99
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Senolcyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,234
    Points
    102,850
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 27

    Re: Fans Following Recruits on Facebook

    Quote Originally Posted by CyJack13 View Post
    Also, it's very creepy that people actually friend these kids and try to persuade them to attend a certain school.

    It's definitely pathetic. But so is doing it with current athletes.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 129,172, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    aeroclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,936
    Points
    129,172
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 959
    Given: 281

    Re: Fans Following Recruits on Facebook

    Quote Originally Posted by RayShimley View Post
    I think it is impossible to enforce if you are talking about your average Joe Undergrad or Middle-Class Alum. I'd be pretty leary of anyone who is considered a booster of any type for a school doing this.
    By the NCAA definition, I think most of these people would be considered boosters. Wasn't that the issue we ran into with Lucca and his host family's car? They were considered boosters by the NCAA since they had purchased season tickets a couple times back in the 80s. I believe they defined a booster as anyone who had purchased tickets or donated money to the AD, regardless of when or how much. That would probably apply to most of the posters on this board.

    I agree, this could never be enforced. But I could see the NCAA taking a shot at it once or twice, and with our luck they would probably choose to come after us.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 184,865, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    CtownCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    9,661
    Points
    184,865
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 696
    Given: 584

    Re: Fans Following Recruits on Facebook

    Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post
    By the NCAA definition, I think most of these people would be considered boosters. Wasn't that the issue we ran into with Lucca and his host family's car? They were considered boosters by the NCAA since they had purchased season tickets a couple times back in the 80s. I believe they defined a booster as anyone who had purchased tickets or donated money to the AD, regardless of when or how much. That would probably apply to most of the posters on this board.

    I agree, this could never be enforced. But I could see the NCAA taking a shot at it once or twice, and with our luck they would probably choose to come after us.
    The definition of a "booster" is so vague that theoretically, I think I could be considered to be a booster of the Squawks since I purchased tickets to Kinnick for a few games.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 118,677, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acgclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9,791
    Points
    118,677
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,982
    Given: 296

    Re: Fans Following Recruits on Facebook

    The NCAA will have to change their rules to reflect the growing influence of social media. Obviously there is no way to stop/enforce this type of rule.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 965,748, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    66,911
    Points
    965,748
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,476
    Given: 8,365

    Re: Fans Following Recruits on Facebook

    Quote Originally Posted by CyCrazy View Post
    I agree with this.
    Me, too. I can wait for the info without stalking high school kids.


    Kansas Must Be Destroyed

    Sic Semper Jayhawks




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBA
  • Football Season Opener vs. UNI
  • September 3, 2016
  • 07:00 PM