View Poll Results: What should Omaha do?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Renovate Rosenblatt

25 83.33%
  • Build a NoDo Stadium

5 16.67%
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 315
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

New Omaha Baseball Stadium

I know that tomorrow's football game is of the first importance, but I would like to get the opinion of my fellow Cyclones on this issue.(Well, at least the ones who follow college baseball or live in or around Omaha)

Do you think that Omaha should build a new baseball stadium downtown, or just renovate Rosenblatt?

Mayor Fahey is pushing the NoDo stadium, but I would rather keep Rosenblatt. 58 years of history is a lot to destroy just because you want to put the stadium in a more fashionable place, and it isn't like Rosenblatt is in that bad of shape anyways. I suppose if a new stadium is the only way to keep the CWS I'd be fine with it, but I feel the city should take every step to try to keep it at the 'Blatt. While the CWS may be very importat to Omaha, Rosenblatt is even more important to the history and mystique of the CWS. I hope the NCAA can realize this before they make their decision.

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 242
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Re: New Omaha Baseball Stadium

i hope they just renovate rosenblatt. ive been to the cws a couple times and it is basically a football game atmosphere but for baseball. The place has so much history and tradition that i would hate to see another one built in its place.

Mariner Moose
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 175
    Given: 558

Not even a question--with as much history as has been packed into Rosenblatt in the past 58 years, there's no chance that they should tear down such a great piece of Americana.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

Sorry to say it because I generally like older stadiums and tradition but I can't see Renovations to Rosenblatt being any less than building an entrirely new one... Rosenblatt is (trying to find the right term) a dump... I would love to see Omaha keep the CWS and I just don't see it happening without a new stadium...

Cyclone42

I'm for a new baseball stadium in Omaha. First, I live only a couple of miles from the NoDo district (North Omaha-Downtown), and that area is badly in need of more economic help. Secondly, Omaha wants the NCAA to sign a long-term contract with Omaha (much greater than ten years), and realistically the only chance we have of getting them to do that is with a new stadium. I like the old stadium, too, but to keep the CWS for the next 20 years or more we just need a new one.

Starter
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

I am about to incur the wrath of probably every Cubs fan on this board, but bear with me for analogy's sake...

There is no reason, structurally speaking, that Wrigley Field should consistently top the list of "best ballparks" like it always does. The sight lines are mediocre. The support columns create far too many obstructed-view seats. The restroom and concession facilities are woefully inadequate. The concourses are too narrow. And there are parts of the stadium that smell like decades-old dried urine and spilled beer. I can rattle off a list of at least a dozen ballparks that offer a more "fan friendly" experience (as measured by the contemporary understanding of the term) than Wrigley Field.

That said, there is a nostalgic appeal to seeing a game at Wrigley that far outweighs any of its structural deficiencies. The classic architecture and overall "look" of the ballpark, the manual scoreboard, the ivy on the outfield wall... The holistic experience of going to a game at Wrigley is among the best in baseball. Because of that, I have to agree that it is a national sports treasure and should remain the Cubs' home field as long as it can be kept together -- even with duct tape and bailing wire!

I think of Rosenblatt as the Wrigley Field of college baseball. Maybe the stadium is a little run down. But there is no better atmosphere in sports than game night at the 'Blatt during the CWS. My fear is that they won't be able to duplicate that kind of experience at a shiny new NoDo baseball stadium. Besides that, Omaha has acquiesced to the wishes of the NCAA every time they have requested stadium upgrades. Should the city be held hostage now for a new (significantly smaller) ballpark after all the previous investments it has made to curry the NCAA's favor? As long as Rosenblatt is still standing, I think they should keep the CWS there.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

BvK, as a Cards fan, I take no offence. Your point is the main reason why I want to keep Rosenblatt. Once that new "long-term contract" has run its course, there will be nothing stopping the NCAA from moving the CWS. Without the history of Rosenblatt, all they will want is a fancy new stadium year after year.

All-Star
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 723
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 25

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm a huge Cubs fan and you're right. It's a dump. They should keep everything between the foul poles in the outfield, scoreboard, ivy, etc and tear the rest down and start over. They'll have to do something relatively soon anyway because the place is falling apart. There are nets everywhere to catch the falling pieces. They were put up a few years back after chunks of concrete fell that would have hurt or even killed somebody if a game had been in progress. It will be very interesting to see what the new ownership plans on doing.

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by BvK1126 View Post
    I am about to incur the wrath of probably every Cubs fan on this board, but bear with me for analogy's sake...

There is no reason, structurally speaking, that Wrigley Field should consistently top the list of "best ballparks" like it always does. The sight lines are mediocre. The support columns create far too many obstructed-view seats. The restroom and concession facilities are woefully inadequate. The concourses are too narrow. And there are parts of the stadium that smell like decades-old dried urine and spilled beer. I can rattle off a list of at least a dozen ballparks that offer a more "fan friendly" experience (as measured by the contemporary understanding of the term) than Wrigley Field.

That said, there is a nostalgic appeal to seeing a game at Wrigley that far outweighs any of its structural deficiencies. The classic architecture and overall "look" of the ballpark, the manual scoreboard, the ivy on the outfield wall... The holistic experience of going to a game at Wrigley is among the best in baseball. Because of that, I have to agree that it is a national sports treasure and should remain the Cubs' home field as long as it can be kept together -- even with duct tape and bailing wire!

I think of Rosenblatt as the Wrigley Field of college baseball. Maybe the stadium is a little run down. But there is no better atmosphere in sports than game night at the 'Blatt during the CWS. My fear is that they won't be able to duplicate that kind of experience at a shiny new NoDo baseball stadium. Besides that, Omaha has acquiesced to the wishes of the NCAA every time they have requested stadium upgrades. Should the city be held hostage now for a new (significantly smaller) ballpark after all the previous investments it has made to curry the NCAA's favor? As long as Rosenblatt is still standing, I think they should keep the CWS there.
    Rosenblatt has no ivy, no old scoreboard, no nothing except memories for people. Plus its location prohibits doing all of the things the NCAA would like to do AND inhibits the growth of one of the best zoos in the country. The NODO stadium will be great for Omaha, great for NODO and great for the CWS!

Nothing to see here mods. Keep moving.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by drmwevr08 View Post
    Rosenblatt has no ivy, no old scoreboard, no nothing except memories for people. Plus its location prohibits doing all of the things the NCAA would like to do AND inhibits the growth of one of the best zoos in the country. The NODO stadium will be great for Omaha, great for NODO and great for the CWS!
    If they do go through with building a new stadium, I hope you're right. And I agree about the zoo...

Does anyone know if the stadium plans are they the same ones they had in the OWH a while back(the ones with the removable seats)? Personally, I'm opposed to those type of seats and would rather see permenant seating like Rosenblatt has.