Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Opinions of the QB battle

I was just reading this article this morning and I am not so sure that this guy even came to the Spring game... We have 4 very very capable QB's. The weird thing is the QB that we were all curious about his accuracy and decision making (Tiller) had the best stats. Where as the most accurate QB (Capello), played like he wanted it to bad and didnt perform as well as he should have. Cant wait for Fall !!!! As long as the Starting QB is ready to win plenty of ball games I am okay with whomever it is because the experts in our coaching staff, know much more than any of us.

Keeler: Iowa State still has no answer at QB | The Des Moines Register | DesMoinesRegister.com

Pro
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,477
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 75

Re: Opinions of the QB battle

On account of Keeler switching sides in terms of who he covers this year, I'd like to get some input from the hawk fans and what they thought of him.

It seems quite often in the little I've read by him over the years that typically he's got a negative slant. We'll find out this fall, and perhaps get some insight from the hawks.

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

All-Star
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 931
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Keeler's style is negative, cynical and generally intended to stir the pot.

Quotes like this just make you shake your head:

The most accurate — consistently accurate — passer should be the one that ultimately wins this little derby. That Rhoads doesn’t see one yet is, frankly, more than a little disconcerting.

Settle down, Keeler. It's Spring Practice. The fact that Rhoads hasn't named a starter for a game in September is not "more than a little disconcerting". That would be like declaring the winner of a game after the 1st Quarter, but continuing to play the remaining 3 Quarters "for fun".

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 436
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

It's still a two horse race between Tiller and Jantz. Barnett showed some very good promise on Saturday but I think he still needs to develop his arm and understanding off the offense.

Fact is Tiller looks better than last year, Jantz is relatively composed when he's comfortable, and both have more natural skill than the other two. If Jantz does his homework on and off the field this summer he will eventually overtake Tiller.

Capello will never be the starting QB at Iowa State. Accurate, yes. Capable of delivering the ball quickly, no.

Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

Just Win Baby
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

I really like Barnett, but he struggles to throw into the wind, which when you play in JTS is a big deal. I thought Tiller looked better than I thought he would and Jantz did too although you can tell he still doesn't know all the reads.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 368
    Given: 112

I think Capello should look at switching to WR or Safety. He's very quick, and shifty in the open field, but he lacks the arm strength to make a lot of major college football throws. When you look at who we have, and who we're bringing in, I think its his best option for seeing the field.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,221
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 137

I like Capello, but I see him like an Austin Flynn.

John Walters is my hero

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycoCyclone View Post
    I like Capello, but I see him like an Austin Flynn.
    They looked very similar running the ball.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 422
    Given: 43

After looking at the highlights on cyclones.com I feel that it is a 2 horse race between Tiller and Jantz.

Tiller had pretty good stats. But he threw 2 horrendous throws that should have been intercepted. His throw to Money was pretty good. But Money made a really good catch on the ball that was really up for grabs.

Jantz had a horrible pick. But his throw to Horne was a thing of beauty. I still think Jantz has a bit more upside than Tiller. But Tiller's performance was much improved. Whoever wins the competition will do a credible job IMO.

Capello and Barnett showed some nice skills. But just aren't as ready as the other 2 IMO. Overall, the QB position seems to be at least adequate. Of course we are all hoping for more.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 550
    Given: 349

Maybe we need a running qb offense as we have four sets of wheels.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Maybe we need a running qb offense as we have four sets of wheels.
    We do have a running QB offense.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

There is no question at all that Jantz is the most talented QB on the team right now. He stays in the pocket the longest and steps into a throw when pressured. He has the most zip and is the only guy on our team that could have made that throw to Horne for the TD. But he also looks a bit lost at times and seemed nervous. All in all I think he can lead our team this year and would be quite shocked if he wasn't our starter.

Tiller looked good but his two long passes where both underthrown. Good job by Reynolds to go get it.

Barnett has a solid game, quick release, but couldn't throw into the wind. That is a problem.

Capello is gritty. BUT did anyone else pick up that he was the only QB that the coaches were letting get hit? He got smoaked a couple times. Never really threw the ball either. Just a lot of runs. Won't work against quality Big 12 defenses

Starter
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 594
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by FD Cyclone View Post
    On account of Keeler switching sides in terms of who he covers this year, I'd like to get some input from the hawk fans and what they thought of him.

It seems quite often in the little I've read by him over the years that typically he's got a negative slant. We'll find out this fall, and perhaps get some insight from the hawks.
    As far as Keeler switching sides I think you might be confusing him with Randy Peterson and Andrew Logue. They have been switching each season between ISU and Iowa. 2 years ago Peterson covered Iowa and Logue covered ISU, it switched last year, and now it's back to that again. Keeler covers both teams, but on a more broad scale than Peterson/Logue. His articles are more opinion, whereas Peterson/Logue are more fact based.

From a Hawk perspective I can tell you that he is just as unpopular with us as he seems to be with ISU fans. Like others have said most of his articles are negative and intended to rile fans up. Hawkeye fans seem to think he has a Cyclone slant, and Cyclone fans seem to think he has a Hawkeye slant. The truth is in the middle, but his poo slinging seems to land equally on both sides.

Legend
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 724
    Given: 1,527

Quote Originally Posted by AllIowaTeams View Post
    As far as Keeler switching sides I think you might be confusing him with Randy Peterson and Andrew Logue. They have been switching each season between ISU and Iowa. 2 years ago Peterson covered Iowa and Logue covered ISU, it switched last year, and now it's back to that again. Keeler covers both teams, but on a more broad scale than Peterson/Logue. His articles are more opinion, whereas Peterson/Logue are more fact based.

From a Hawk perspective I can tell you that he is just as unpopular with us as he seems to be with ISU fans. Like others have said most of his articles are negative and intended to rile fans up. Hawkeye fans seem to think he has a Cyclone slant, and Cyclone fans seem to think he has a Hawkeye slant. The truth is in the middle, but his poo slinging seems to land equally on both sides.
    Keeler writes a column - which by definition is opinion. Articles are (supposed to be) fact based. Columns are based entirely on the skewed perceptions and opinions of the columnist - which fits Keeler perfectly.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,221
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 137

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    There is no question at all that Jantz is the most talented QB on the team right now. He stays in the pocket the longest and steps into a throw when pressured. He has the most zip and is the only guy on our team that could have made that throw to Horne for the TD. But he also looks a bit lost at times and seemed nervous. All in all I think he can lead our team this year and would be quite shocked if he wasn't our starter.

Tiller looked good but his two long passes where both underthrown. Good job by Reynolds to go get it.

Barnett has a solid game, quick release, but couldn't throw into the wind. That is a problem.

Capello is gritty. BUT did anyone else pick up that he was the only QB that the coaches were letting get hit? He got smoaked a couple times. Never really threw the ball either. Just a lot of runs. Won't work against quality Big 12 defenses
    Yeah, I caught that Capello was getting hit.

The Jantz-Horne connections looked really good.

John Walters is my hero