Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 64
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 28,100, Level: 51
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 550
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Scott34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    2,330
    Points
    28,100
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 29

    Looking at getting new irons

    So I am looking at getting some new irons this year and turning to you Fanatics for a little help. I will just start with saying that I usually shoot high 80's to low 90's, so nothing great but im not horrible. I really don't wanna spend a lot on clubs cause I just don't have the money to drop 600-700 on clubs. So I have seen a couple sets on craigslist that i'm interested in. One set being the Cleveland CG7's, supposed to be a more forgiving club for off center hits. I have always been in love with the R7's since I had the driver and loved that.

    So I guess what i'm looking for is a little feedback on what clubs are great for the money. I'm looking to spend around 200-300 if I can get the right deal to come along. I think I can pick those CG7's for around 250. So a deal like that would be ideal. Thanks


    "Its time to roll up our sleeves, put on our hard hats and go to work together"


  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 359,048, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,067
    Points
    359,048
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 413
    Given: 63

    Re: Looking at getting new irons

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott34 View Post
    So I am looking at getting some new irons this year and turning to you Fanatics for a little help. I will just start with saying that I usually shoot high 80's to low 90's, so nothing great but im not horrible. I really don't wanna spend a lot on clubs cause I just don't have the money to drop 600-700 on clubs. So I have seen a couple sets on craigslist that i'm interested in. One set being the Cleveland CG7's, supposed to be a more forgiving club for off center hits. I have always been in love with the R7's since I had the driver and loved that.

    So I guess what i'm looking for is a little feedback on what clubs are great for the money. I'm looking to spend around 200-300 if I can get the right deal to come along. I think I can pick those CG7's for around 250. So a deal like that would be ideal. Thanks
    CG7s are a good iron but so are the R7s. You might be able to find the CG7's new for about $300. I think they are about $320 on TGW.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 359,048, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,067
    Points
    359,048
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 413
    Given: 63

    Re: Looking at getting new irons

    Take a look on Ebay. There are some good deals on there that I just saw. Judging by that, unless it's a speed and convenience deal, I wouldn't give over $200 for the used ones.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 46,327, Level: 66
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 623
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cy4Patriots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,550
    Points
    46,327
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 16

    Re: Looking at getting new irons

    I bought my Titleist AP1's on ebay.



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 28,100, Level: 51
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 550
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Scott34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    2,330
    Points
    28,100
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 29

    Re: Looking at getting new irons

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    Take a look on Ebay. There are some good deals on there that I just saw. Judging by that, unless it's a speed and convenience deal, I wouldn't give over $200 for the used ones.
    I really wouldn't like to either, but from what I have seen on ebay and some pictures on craigslist, unless the clubs have some serious wear on them they aren't going to be that cheap.


    "Its time to roll up our sleeves, put on our hard hats and go to work together"


  6. #6
    Rookie
    Points: 11,517, Level: 32
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 433
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    352
    Points
    11,517
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Looking at getting new irons

    Buy last years Taylor Made Burners, you should be able to find them for $399. Worth the extra 99 bucks. I play AP2 Titlelist, but if I didn't, I would play those.



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 359,048, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,067
    Points
    359,048
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 413
    Given: 63

    Re: Looking at getting new irons

    Quote Originally Posted by dukeebear View Post
    Buy last years Taylor Made Burners, you should be able to find them for $399. Worth the extra 99 bucks. I play AP2 Titlelist, but if I didn't, I would play those.
    I would agree with that if you can afford that extra $100. Very forgiving iron.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  8. #8
    Prospect
    Points: 8,129, Level: 26
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    58
    Points
    8,129
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Looking at getting new irons

    I've had really good luck with Gigagolf.com. Custom fitted knock offs with a good return policy if you dont like them. Obviously not everyone wants knockoffs, but custom fitted does help a ton.



  9. #9
    Legend
    Points: 263,419, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclonestate78's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,502
    Points
    263,419
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 236
    Given: 652

    Re: Looking at getting new irons

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott34 View Post
    I really wouldn't like to either, but from what I have seen on ebay and some pictures on craigslist, unless the clubs have some serious wear on them they aren't going to be that cheap.
    Make sure you look around online. There are a ton of different websites selling clubs online that are very reputable. Make sure to check out their sales and clearance clubs. Sometimes you can find sweet deals on last years models that they are just trying to clear out of their stock. Here are a couple links for you...

    Final Clearance - Irons/Complete Sets | TGW.com

    TaylorMade Men's Burner Plus Irons at Golf Galaxy

    Nike Men's Slingshot Irons - (Steel) 3H, 4-PW at Golf Galaxy

    Discount Golf Iron Sets | TaylorMade, Callaway, Cleveland, Mizuno & Titleist

    Golf Discount: Closeouts


    Last edited by Cyclonestate78; 04-17-2011 at 08:58 PM.

  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 59,308, Level: 75
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Kyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,075
    Points
    59,308
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Looking at getting new irons

    What are you playing right now? I don't have any great suggestions, but I do have a set of Callaway Fusions for sale if anyone is interested. 3-PW, uniflex steel shafts. The 9 iron shaft is different, presumably replaced by the previous owner.
    Callaway Golf Fusion Irons


    Seneca Wallace.

  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 28,100, Level: 51
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 550
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Scott34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    2,330
    Points
    28,100
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 29

    Re: Looking at getting new irons

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonestate78 View Post
    Make sure you look around online. There are a ton of different websites selling clubs online that are very reputable. Make sure to check out their sales and clearance clubs. Sometimes you can find sweet deals on last years models that they are just trying to clear out of their stock. Here are a couple links for you...

    Final Clearance - Irons/Complete Sets | TGW.com

    TaylorMade Men's Burner Plus Irons at Golf Galaxy

    Nike Men's Slingshot Irons - (Steel) 3H, 4-PW at Golf Galaxy

    Discount Golf Iron Sets | TaylorMade, Callaway, Cleveland, Mizuno & Titleist

    Golf Discount: Closeouts
    Thanks for all the links!! Really appreciate it!

    The more and more I look, sounds like Burners may be one of the best deals out there. Does anyone know if you are going to buy clubs at Golf Galaxy, do they let you test the models you are looking try or maybe even buy?


    "Its time to roll up our sleeves, put on our hard hats and go to work together"


  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 28,100, Level: 51
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 550
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Scott34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    2,330
    Points
    28,100
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 29

    Re: Looking at getting new irons

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    What are you playing right now? I don't have any great suggestions, but I do have a set of Callaway Fusions for sale if anyone is interested. 3-PW, uniflex steel shafts. The 9 iron shaft is different, presumably replaced by the previous owner.
    Callaway Golf Fusion Irons
    I am currently just playing with Ram Laser EL. They really aren't to bad for a cheaper club. I think I bought em for $125, but I am looking to improve my game a little as well. Thinking I may go to Veenker to get some lessons and improve my swing as well.


    "Its time to roll up our sleeves, put on our hard hats and go to work together"


  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 47,315, Level: 67
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,035
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Burnsville, MN
    Posts
    2,952
    Points
    47,315
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 15

    Re: Looking at getting new irons

    Time for the obligatory shout out to Rockbottomgolf.com. they sell last years model of clubs. Ive been very pleased with their service.



  14. #14
    Rookie
    Points: 11,517, Level: 32
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 433
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    352
    Points
    11,517
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Looking at getting new irons

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott34 View Post
    Thanks for all the links!! Really appreciate it!

    The more and more I look, sounds like Burners may be one of the best deals out there. Does anyone know if you are going to buy clubs at Golf Galaxy, do they let you test the models you are looking try or maybe even buy?

    They will let you play them for 30 days risk free at Golf Galaxy



  15. #15
    Legend
    Points: 263,419, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclonestate78's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,502
    Points
    263,419
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 236
    Given: 652

    Re: Looking at getting new irons

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott34 View Post
    Thanks for all the links!! Really appreciate it!

    The more and more I look, sounds like Burners may be one of the best deals out there. Does anyone know if you are going to buy clubs at Golf Galaxy, do they let you test the models you are looking try or maybe even buy?
    No problem. You can always go to Golf Galaxy and demo any clubs you are looking to buy. Shouldn't be a problem.


    Last edited by Cyclonestate78; 04-17-2011 at 09:08 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • Iowa State @ Oklahoma State
  • October 4, 2014
  • 11:00 AM