Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 6

Sod recommendations

Anybody had sod work done in the Des Moines area recently and have a recommendation? My front yard looks like crap and I'm about ready to start over rather than nursing it back to life.

Starter
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 491
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Sod recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone90 View Post
    Anybody had sod work done in the Des Moines area recently and have a recommendation? My front yard looks like crap and I'm about ready to start over rather than nursing it back to life.
    I'm not a hort expert, but if you can stomach it, I would seed rather than sod it. Just my opinion. In most cases I've seen, in the long term a seeded yard performs better than a sodded yard.

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Every time I have repaired large spots in my lawn I have tilled it up and seeded it in the fall. Those spots easily are some of the best spots in the lawn now, fall seeding is perfect because the grass seed germinates quicker and establishes a good root system and doesn't have to compete with the weeds like it does in the warmer temps. It's to that point of the year now that if you re-seeded you'd need to stay on top of watering it so it germinates quickly and starts to establish itself before the weeds start coming up then you'll have to make sure you stay on top of weed control throughout the summer so you get a good thick grass cover established else the weeds will just fill in the thinner spots making it harder to overseed.

I agree too, I prefer seeding over sod but you need to time it just right and hope for some consistent rains and temps to get it started else you are going to run up a nice water bill. I did about a 5x65 foot section behind my house last fall where I had put some tile in a low spot of my property and it's already green and ready to mow and hardly any traces of weeds coming up in it. About the same time mid-american put sod down in a 10x10 patch in my front lawn where they dug up to do some work on a gas line and I can still see the seams where the sod was laid and it hasn't greened up as quickly since I doubt the roots have fully established there. would have rather just had them put some good fill dirt in and seeded it actually because I have a feeling I am going to have to water that patch more than I want to this year till it blends in with the rest of the lawn better.

Go Cubs Go!

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,058
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 17

I laid a pallet of sod a few years ago to fill some holes left by tree stumps. I was amazed how much water it took. The guy told me to water 2X per day the first 2 weeks and 1X the next two weeks. If you are going over an existing lawn they recommend tilling up old sod first so you have to do that either way.

A lot of grass seed today has coating to hold moisture and use less water. I'm putting lawn in my new house where new septic was installed and I'll use seed.

Starter
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 392
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I am in a similiar situation. My Blvd (area between street and sidewalk) was killed off by our last lawn company that over fertilized it. I have never been able to bring it back. It's might White Whale.

In addition, my front lawn is looking poor. I think it is partly due to the large pine in my front yard and the neighbors on either side. I think the soil is now very acidic. I was going to add lime, till and seed it this weekend. Based on this thread, am I better off waiting until the fall? I am not always around to water the missus can't be counted on to cover for me.

Thoughts?

"I'm proud to lead this program and this team in whatever we do. Whether it's a community service project, or through practice or winning a bowl game, but you don't do that without the kids believing and being all in, and going out there and accomplishing all [of] the goals and expectations that we set." - Coach Paul Rhoads

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by StPaulCyclone View Post
    I am in a similiar situation. My Blvd (area between street and sidewalk) was killed off by our last lawn company that over fertilized it. I have never been able to bring it back. It's might White Whale.

In addition, my front lawn is looking poor. I think it is partly due to the large pine in my front yard and the neighbors on either side. I think the soil is now very acidic. I was going to add lime, till and seed it this weekend. Based on this thread, am I better off waiting until the fall? I am not always around to water the missus can't be counted on to cover for me.

Thoughts?
    Don't waste your time with lime unless you plan on getting a dump truck load of it.

Starter
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 453
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

find someone with a nice yard about the same size
    Cut up their lawn and haul it off in the middle of the night
    re-sod your yard
    ???
    profit

read this post quickly - it might not last long

Starter
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by StPaulCyclone View Post

Thoughts?
    If you can live with it as it is for this summer I'd hold off till the fall. Fall seems to be the ideal time to seed bare ground because the new grass won't have to fight for ground and nuitrients with the cooler temps. It's a lot more "low maintainence" to do it in the fall than spring I think, I've never had great luck with spring seeding.

Go Cubs Go!

All-Star
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 190
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CONEClone View Post
    This isn't as far off as you think. While I agree seeding is best in the long term, we're going to be placing the house on the market soon and I don't have until the fall to get this looking even halfway decent. For those who did sod, what company did you use and were you happy with it?