Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 3

Patio Style/Cost

I am considering building a patio in our yard (around 25 x 15 feet). Does anyone have some ideas of what this would cost based on what we use to build it (brick pavers or something else)? Also, I will be doing it myself - with some help - so that will help control some of the costs. I'm thinking I will use brick pavers unless someone knows of something that would be better. Any ideas are welcome.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 468
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Re: Patio Style/Cost

Quote Originally Posted by every_yard View Post
    I am considering building a patio in our yard (around 25 x 15 feet). Does anyone have some ideas of what this would cost based on what we use to build it (brick pavers or something else)? Also, I will be doing it myself - with some help - so that will help control some of the costs. I'm thinking I will use brick pavers unless someone knows of something that would be better. Any ideas are welcome.
    Pavers will range in price from $2.25 to 5.00 per sq ft. You will need some limestone rock for a base, about 4" thick.

Starter
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 12

Get stamped concrete and have it done professionally. It's not cheap but looks great and lasts.

Bench Warmer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mfelske View Post
    Get stamped concrete and have it done professionally. It's not cheap but looks great and lasts.
    Cost will be around $10/sq ft and you won't be able to do it our self. It Will also crack or chip in iowa over time.

Bench Warmer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mfelske View Post
    Cost will be around $10/sq ft and you won't be able to do it your self. It Will also crack or chip in iowa over time.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 768
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 39

Stamped concrete is garbage. Keep in mind that for every 100 sq/ft of patio you build you will be required to move 7 TONS of material in order to build the patio properly.

Addict
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,476
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 4

i'm in favor of the concrete. everyone i've ever done has wound up great. hire someone that knows how to do it/educate yourself on how to do it. it will look better longer then pavers(heave with the ground even with good base, let weeds grow through the cracks)

Starter
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 507
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I put in 2000 sq ft of patio around 2 sides of my house. I talked to a landscape company and they wanted $12-$14 / sq ft. My son and I did it our selves, plus his high school firends, paid them, when we were hauling the rock and sand from the street to the backyard. It took two years and it cost about $5000.

Bench Warmer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISU BET View Post
    i'm in favor of the concrete. everyone i've ever done has wound up great. hire someone that knows how to do it/educate yourself on how to do it. it will look better longer then pavers(heave with the ground even with good base, let weeds grow through the cracks)
    There is no heave if you put your base in correctly and no weeds if you use a poly sand for the cracks. He also was interested in doing the project himself, so the concrete is not a good choice.

Starter
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 8

Last year I put in a brick paver patio. Its probably around 12'x12' or so. I had some buddies help me and we knocked it out in one weekend. Total cost ended up being a little under $1000. We haven't had any heaving problems at all, and it made it through last winter just fine. We dug down about 7 inches total, put in 4" or rock, and about an inch of sand, and then the pavers. We also put down landscape fabric and we never had any problems with weeds growing through. Lowe's website has a series of I think 3 videos that really show each step what you need to do.

The one thing you need to remember is what youre going to do with all the dirt and sod you dig up. It is a whole lot more than what you would think.

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,261
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneJames View Post
    Last year I put in a brick paver patio. Its probably around 12'x12' or so. I had some buddies help me and we knocked it out in one weekend. Total cost ended up being a little under $1000. We haven't had any heaving problems at all, and it made it through last winter just fine. We dug down about 7 inches total, put in 4" or rock, and about an inch of sand, and then the pavers. We also put down landscape fabric and we never had any problems with weeds growing through. Lowe's website has a series of I think 3 videos that really show each step what you need to do.

The one thing you need to remember is what youre going to do with all the dirt and sod you dig up. It is a whole lot more than what you would think.
    Our next door neighbors had this done and it looks great. Wish I would of gone the paver route

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 932
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

One option is to make it out of solid gold. This will likely cost in the $100 Million range, but it will be the envy of all your neighbors. Just dig out an area where you want the patio to be, buy the gold, then have it melted and poured into the ground.

No, seriously though pavers vs concrete people chill out. In Iowa winters both are eventually going to break down. Pavers does seem a little more do it yourself, but also easier to screw up and make it look bad.

Starter
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 234
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

I'm probably not telling you anything you haven't considered already, but just know that doing this yourself will be a LOT of work. Two years ago I installed one at our house that was only about 12' x 10' or so and it was an enormous effort. By the time you rip up the sod, pull up a few more inches of soil, lay the rock, level everything and get the bricks down...whew. I don't want to do that again. And you're talking about more than double the area.

It isn't rocket science obviously, but getting everything just right, especially the leveling, takes a lot of work. I used 16" x 16" blocks which is a lot of surface area to get just right. I had to spend a lot of time on each block.

Rookie
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 9

It depends on your setting and the look you are after, but flagstone in the right location can really look nice in my opinion.

If you don't think every day is a good day, try missing one.

lakeliving

All-Star
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

I recently had an aggregate rock patio (16' x 16' with a 6' radius circle on one corner) for about $1,650. I just looked up a local concrete guy here in Brookings. He said it'd be about $6 a square foot (which is $2,040 for what I was getting) but he ended up charging me about $400 less.

I definately liked going with the small local business. Just seemed to really take pride and care in his work and did a nice job! Here's a picture below of it after initially exposing the rock and cutting the crack points. 30 days later they came back to seal it with some stuff that really darkened the color and makes it shine a bit.

I'm quite pleased with it and think it looks pretty sharp and would definately recommend aggregate rock.