Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Betting lines

  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 76,419, Level: 85
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    4429 mcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wall Street
    Posts
    4,402
    Points
    76,419
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Exclamation Betting lines

    Do these really need to be on the main page?



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 409,916, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    21,362
    Points
    409,916
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 461
    Given: 201

    Re: Betting lines

    yes. a lot of times these turn into the game threads. if nobody posts in them, they'll drop off the front page rather quickly.



  3. #3
    I AM SO PROUD....
    Points: 97,011, Level: 96
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RhoadsRage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    McGregor
    Posts
    6,688
    Points
    97,011
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

  4. #4
    Starter
    Points: 21,590, Level: 44
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    515 via 712
    Posts
    973
    Points
    21,590
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Betting lines

    Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    yes. a lot of times these turn into the game threads. if nobody posts in them, they'll drop off the front page rather quickly.
    When we get flooded with them other worthy threads go to the cave quickly...



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 409,916, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    21,362
    Points
    409,916
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 461
    Given: 201

    Re: Betting lines

    Quote Originally Posted by TitanClone View Post
    When we get flooded with them other worthy threads go to the cave quickly...
    and they'll pop back up rather quickly when someone posts in them.



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 119,267, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUAlum2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    15,644
    Points
    119,267
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 110

    Re: Betting lines

    Yes, they do need to be on the front page.

    Click "New Posts" over on the left side of the forum and you can page through all the new threads and skip past the betting board threads, if you wish. You can also apparently choose to remove all betting board threads from your browsing in the user CP, but I don't care so I'm not quite sure how that's done.



  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 72,265, Level: 83
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 885
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfan964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 blocks from the Jack
    Posts
    4,563
    Points
    72,265
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 193

    Re: Betting lines

    Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    and they'll pop back up rather quickly when someone posts in them.
    I agree with you man, but you're fighting a losing battle.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 409,916, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    21,362
    Points
    409,916
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 461
    Given: 201

    Re: Betting lines

    Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post
    I agree with you man, but you're fighting a losing battle.
    I wouldnt say i'm on the losing side of this one. It comes up every couple months, and the same responses are given every time, and the betting threads continue.

    As i said in the other linked thread, itd be great if we could make every forum like the politics forum and let everyone opt in and out of what appears on their front page.



  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 73,508, Level: 84
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,342
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cloneswereall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,334
    Points
    73,508
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 5

    Re: Betting lines

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    Yes, they do need to be on the front page.

    Click "New Posts" over on the left side of the forum and you can page through all the new threads and skip past the betting board threads, if you wish. You can also apparently choose to remove all betting board threads from your browsing in the user CP, but I don't care so I'm not quite sure how that's done.
    You can't skip them unless you go into that forum and click the button that says "save forum as read".

    Also, I'm willing to bet that no more than 15% of the members on this board actively "bet".


    He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 165,647, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUKyro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    9,876
    Points
    165,647
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 185
    Given: 434

    Re: Betting lines

    Yes - it's better than most of the crap on the front page when we are not in FB or MBB season.



  11. #11
    I AM SO PROUD....
    Points: 97,011, Level: 96
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RhoadsRage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    McGregor
    Posts
    6,688
    Points
    97,011
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Betting lines

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUKyro View Post
    Yes - it's better than most of the crap on the front page when we are not in FB or MBB season.
    Such as all the "top 5" threads!!!



  12. #12
    Starter
    Points: 21,590, Level: 44
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    515 via 712
    Posts
    973
    Points
    21,590
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Betting lines

    Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    I wouldnt say i'm on the losing side of this one. It comes up every couple months, and the same responses are given every time, and the betting threads continue.

    As i said in the other linked thread, itd be great if we could make every forum like the politics forum and let everyone opt in and out of what appears on their front page.
    This is what I would prefer as well. It seems like it would be fairly easy to do.



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 442,293, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,928
    Points
    442,293
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 25

    Re: Betting lines

    Quote Originally Posted by TitanClone View Post
    This is what I would prefer as well. It seems like it would be fairly easy to do.
    I'll betcha if it was that easy it'd be done already.

    And as a programmer, it'd be a total pain in the ***.



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 409,916, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    21,362
    Points
    409,916
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 461
    Given: 201

    Re: Betting lines

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    I'll betcha if it was that easy it'd be done already.

    And as a programmer, it'd be a total pain in the ***.
    if its already been done before for the politics forum, it might not be that hard to replicate that code (anyone who's done any programming has probably done a lot of 'copy-paste-alter to suit a new use'). having no idea what it looks like though, maybe not.


    Last edited by alarson; 04-10-2011 at 12:39 PM.

  15. #15
    Starter
    Points: 21,590, Level: 44
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    515 via 712
    Posts
    973
    Points
    21,590
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Betting lines

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    I'll betcha if it was that easy it'd be done already.

    And as a programmer, it'd be a total pain in the ***.
    I'm in my first year in software engineering. Haven't learned anything about websites, but it seems like it would be pretty simple to add on to the politics option.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM