Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 864
    Given: 226

Player Profile: Sam Richardson (QB)

More good stuff from yaman3 today. Here is his profile on Sam Richardson, the quarterback.

Iowa State Football Player Profile: Sam Richardson (QB) | Cyclone Fanatic

Starter
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 609
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 0

Re: Player Profile: Sam Richardson (QB)

Couple of points on Sam Richardson's senior year.... threw 29 touchdown passes with only 2 interceptions thrown during the regular season. Both of those interceptions were on passes deflected at the line of scrimmage. That's a direct reflection of accuracy and good decision making. The other point that can be brought up is that several (Orlando) area sports writers detailed in their columns that SR's ability to "read" defenses, and appropriately respond with passing to the best positioned receiver, is as good as they have ever seen in a high school QB.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 710
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

His accuracy is about as good as I've seen on any highlight video. What I also noticed was he didn't make any stupid throws into double or triple coverage, and got lucky. I'm more excited about Sam Richardson (QB) than any other recruit since I've been following recruiting the last 5 years.

What excites me even more is Grant Rohach looks like his twin. I love these smart, accurate quarterbacks that read what defenses give them.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

While I do see good potential in this kid, I saw some things in his film that will need work. He doesn't ALWAYS make good decisions such as throwing the ball into heavy traffic. Good D-I defensive players will break on those a lot more than high school kids. He definately likes to hit stationary targets which correct me if I am wrong but doesn't ISU run lots of slant routes in their offense? If so he'll really have to get accurate throwing to moving targets. That all being said, I would say he is about two-three years from being true starting material, much like AJ Derby is at Iowa (who I personally believe to be the next starting QB after Vandenburg.) They both have lots of raw athletic ablity which under the proper coaching will thrive. Looks like a pretty decent prospect.

Pro
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,494
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by DSMHawkeye View Post
    While I do see good potential in this kid, I saw some things in his film that will need work. He doesn't ALWAYS make good decisions such as throwing the ball into heavy traffic. Good D-I defensive players will break on those a lot more than high school kids. He definately likes to hit stationary targets which correct me if I am wrong but doesn't ISU run lots of slant routes in their offense? If so he'll really have to get accurate throwing to moving targets. That all being said, I would say he is about two-three years from being true starting material, much like AJ Derby is at Iowa (who I personally believe to be the next starting QB after Vandenburg.) They both have lots of raw athletic ablity which under the proper coaching will thrive. Looks like a pretty decent prospect.
    Richardson is nothing like Derby. Richardson is a QB with great accuracy. Derby is an athlete playing QB.

One is like Tebow the other is like Bradford. Not even comparable.

Last edited by Yes13; 04-07-2011 at 09:09 AM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 415
    Given: 64

Go Hawks!

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Starter
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 609
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38

I don't know whether you are basing your evaluation on this junior year highlight tape; but if you are, you need to see his senior highlight tape. The senior tape is put together chronologically and you can see that he steadily improves as the season progresses.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 270
    Given: 72

Sam Richardson looks to be one of the best QB's to come to ISU in quite some time. He just looks like a true QB. I'm very excited to see what he can do in a year or two. By the way, I like the Kellen Moore reference. I had actually thought the same myself.

Pro
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,378
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 2

Last year when his video was posted as a possible recruit I thought, yeah right there's no way ISU is going to be able to get this kid. When he committed I was floored.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Stewo View Post
    Sam Richardson looks to be one of the best QB's to come to ISU in quite some time. He just looks like a true QB. I'm very excited to see what he can do in a year or two. By the way, I like the Kellen Moore reference. I had actually thought the same myself.
    Yeah, I was sitting there trying to think of someone he kind of played like and it took me forever but he plays like Kellen does except he throws with his right arm. The just kind of move the same.

When I first watched his videos when he committed I was very impressed by his accuracy. Now, when I watched the last time, I was still impressed by his accuracy, but his ability to move in the pocket and move around pressure really impressed me.

Quote Originally Posted by bosco View Post
    Last year when his video was posted as a possible recruit I thought, yeah right there's no way ISU is going to be able to get this kid. When he committed I was floored.
    I don't get why there wasn't more competition. I really don't. I just would think that there would be some teams looking at him. I have a hard time believing there weren't calls made to him late last year to fill a spot. I just assume that his commitment really took away a lot of attention.

Or so I have read.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 270
    Given: 72

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    Yeah, I was sitting there trying to think of someone he kind of played like and it took me forever but he plays like Kellen does except he throws with his right arm. The just kind of move the same.

When I first watched his videos when he committed I was very impressed by his accuracy. Now, when I watched the last time, I was still impressed by his accuracy, but his ability to move in the pocket and move around pressure really impressed me.
    He doesn't appear to ever get rattled and I think at the college level it'll pay off huge. That really explains his lack of interceptions as well. Perfect QB to run TH's system.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Stewo View Post
    He doesn't appear to ever get rattled and I think at the college level it'll pay off huge. That really explains his lack of interceptions as well. Perfect QB to run TH's system.
    And it wasn't like he had all day to throw either. Most of the time he was moving somewhere.

Or so I have read.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 581
    Given: 510

I never saw Derby's tape but I've seen him play numerous times. I don't get your comparison at all other than he may be 2-3 years from being a starter. That's boilerplate.

Last edited by Cydkar; 04-07-2011 at 10:07 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 673
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

Don't you just love Hawk fans who think they know everything about our team and recruits? Richardson is nothing like Derby. My hawk friends tell me that Derby might not even play QB at Iowa. I also think the comparison to Kellen Moore was spot on. That's exactly who I thought of when saw Richardson.

***Undefeated COD Clone Wars Champion***
    ***OP of the Largest Thread on CF***

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Kellen Moore - Yeah that would work

Stats Overview Passing
    YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT
    2008 281 405 3486 69.4 8.61 80 25 10 13 157.11
    2009 277 431 3536 64.3 8.20 67 39 3 5 161.65
    2010 273 383 3845 71.3 10.04 83 35 6 6 182.63

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" - Winston Churchill