Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Most overused & useless sports cliche's

My all time favorite is "He wanted it more."
    Really? You mean it was his talent that decided the outcome?

Or me close 2nd was "He has more playoff experience".
    Really? Do the rules change? So a guy with MORE EXPERIENCE is lesser of a player because he doesnt have the necessary "PLAYOFF experience"? Funny. I thought experience = experience.

Pro
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,093
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 4

Re: Most overused & useless sports cliche's

Describing a white basketball player with subpar ability or a team for that matter as Scrappy....

Pro
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,290
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

The 110% thing always bothered me. Also, "He's a gamer." WTF?

R.I.P "Gibbons" 4/3/2012
    R.I.P RollsRoyce 4/12/2012

Pro
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 12

I actually disagree with what you said on both of these. There is such thing as wanting it more. Not that that is always the case, but just because you have the talent doesn't mean you are automatically better. If there are two athletes with the same skill level and one works harder, I personally think he does want it more.

As for playoff experience, it matters when it comes to a big time stage. When you get into a situation deep into a big time tournament and you face a lot of adversity, that playoff experience does help. On a smaller stage it doesn't matter as much, however on a bigger stage I think it plays a factor with many athletes. Although for some athletes it doesn't matter.

Just my opinion.

KCCO

Follow me on Twitter: @datBASS3
    Follow Iowa State Drumline on Twitter: @ISUDrumline or on FB

Pro
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,093
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 4

Saying that some coach is a high character person because besides that they have no other positive characteristics about them....

Pro
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by cy4prez7 View Post
    I actually disagree with what you said on both of these. There is such thing as wanting it more. Not that that is always the case, but just because you have the talent doesn't mean you are automatically better. If there are two athletes with the same skill level and one works harder, I personally think he does want it more.

As for playoff experience, it matters when it comes to a big time stage. When you get into a situation deep into a big time tournament and you face a lot of adversity, that playoff experience does help. On a smaller stage it doesn't matter as much, however on a bigger stage I think it plays a factor with many athletes. Although for some athletes it doesn't matter.

Just my opinion.
    +1,000

These two things do matter big time. Better teams do lose when they overlook/just aren't as amped for a game as they would for bigger games. You have to want to do your job better than the guy across from you. Some of it may come down to skill and talent but will and want can beat talent and skill.

Pro
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 3

"Playoff experience" is a perfectly legitimate phrase. Take the NHL playoffs, for example. Experience measured in total games played does not prepare a player for four rounds of best-of-seven series - multiple, physical games against the same opponent night in and night out with no opportunity to rest. Huge difference between playing 82 games in a season and a potential 28 in that environment.

Overused cliches: "giving 110 percent;" "have to play our game;" "game of inches;" "intangibles will decide the game;" and essentially anything stating that a blowout of a lesser opponent was a good test or challenging game.

TRUE AND VALIANT

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cy4prez7 View Post

Just my opinion.
    Your opinion & your arguement are both DUMB.
    How can you compare who wants it more? How do you know a guy wants it more? Because they are "victorious"? Whats the criteria for "wanting it more"? Not by the outcome or why would you have so many players teary eyed after losing a big game.
    Playoff experience is highly overrated! take a guy with 10 years in a league but has 0 "playoff experience" vs a 2nd year guy who happened to be on a playoff team in his 2nd year. The rules dont change in the playoffs. Its the same game only more on the line. Same rules apply. Thats why BIG GAME qbs, stay calm, cool & collected. They know.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 325
    Given: 21

Quote Originally Posted by millerforrest View Post
    How can you compare who wants it more? How do you know a guy wants it more? Because they are "victorious"? Whats the criteria for "wanting it more"? Not by the outcome or why would you have so many players teary eyed after losing a big game.
    Playoff experience is highly overrated! take a guy with 10 years in a league but has 0 "playoff experience" vs a 2nd year guy who happened to be on a playoff team in his 2nd year. The rules dont change in the playoffs. Its the same game only more on the line. Same rules apply. Thats why BIG GAME qbs, stay calm, cool & collected. They know.
    Hey Rainman, I'm only warning you once. Be respectful or you are going to find yourself on the receiving end of a sensuous kiss goodbye. Your schtick is getting really old. Cy4prez7 responded to your post respectfully. If you can't do the same, then you don't belong here. You are officially out of chances. Got it?

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Speechless
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 285
    Given: 632

Championship game would be 110% vs Going to take it one game at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by cyowan View Post

Rulzzz 3:16 says I just liked your post!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 898
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 68

Playoff/tournament experience DOES matter. Is it a be-all, end-all? No. But it IS an important factor. It's a big reason why John Calipari can't seem to win a title: when you depend on freshmen (no matter how talented they may be) as much as he does, your odds are pretty long compared to teams with slightly less talent and more experience. Which is why his teams always lose in the tourney to teams that have more experience. Kentucky was easily the most talented team in the tourney last year, but they had almost zero tournament experience. The pressure in the postseason is much greater than the regular season, and if you've never been there, how do you know how to handle it all?

And yes, if two players are pretty equally matched, it's not out of line to say the winner wanted it more. He dug deeper than his opponent was willing to in order to win. And it's almost certainly the case when a less talented team/player wins. If the more talented team wanted it just as badly, they'd have won.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Addict
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 885
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 199

My first response was going to be "all of them," but I'll pick the top (i.e., bottom) of the list. There really could be two categories — athlete/coach cliches, and media cliches.

All-time No. 1 media cliche (specifically, ESPN): Trickeration

My list. Some have already been mentioned in this thread. Some are long-standing, others are more recent (yet equally tired).

1 Give/gave 110 percent. I prefer giving a mathematically realistic 90 percent and winning
    2 It is what it is. Sounds like it means something, but it means less than nothing.
    3 Less than nothing
    4 The better team won
    5 We had a good game plan, we just didn't execute.
    6 Left it all on the floor
    7 That could come back to haunt them (almost always used in reference to a missed extra point) (this is NOT a cliche if ISU is involved. )
    8 Any time a network shows more than one Iso shot of an athlete's parent/child/sibling/downtrodden or grief-stricking acquaintance in the stands during the game, especially when action is taking place on the field/court/ice/diamond (I realize this one isn't a cliche, it just annoys the **** out of me)
    9 Student-athlete
    10 (tie) Future hall-of-famer/Team player
    11 The score doesn't reflect how (close/lopsided) the game was
    12 Statistics don't tell the whole story/Statistics tell the whole story
    13 Buzzer-beater (if the opposing team had enough time to attempt a viable buzzer-beater of its own)
    14 Costly turnover. One time, a stranger gave me a free turnover, and it was delicious
    15 "One Shining Moment." Can't you just compile a collage of highlight clips from the tournament, instead of making me feel like somebody I love recently died?

Annoying media cliche that's worse than the original potential (if clever) cliche: "The painted area." It was nicknamed "the paint" because it IS the painted area! (related annoyance: "Red Area" instead of Red Zone (semi-related note: Does anyone say "top of the key" anymore? I kinda miss that)

Plenty of racial-reference cliches on both sides of the fence -- I'll ignore those for now.

Starter
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    Playoff/tournament experience DOES matter. Is it a be-all, end-all? No. But it IS an important factor. It's a big reason why John Calipari can't seem to win a title: when you depend on freshmen (no matter how talented they may be) as much as he does, your odds are pretty long compared to teams with slightly less talent and more experience. Which is why his teams always lose in the tourney to teams that have more experience. Kentucky was easily the most talented team in the tourney last year, but they had almost zero tournament experience. The pressure in the postseason is much greater than the regular season, and if you've never been there, how do you know how to handle it all?

And yes, if two players are pretty equally matched, it's not out of line to say the winner wanted it more. He dug deeper than his opponent was willing to in order to win. And it's almost certainly the case when a less talented team/player wins. If the more talented team wanted it just as badly, they'd have won.
    Bingo! I can see Miller's point in the argument but in reality the big time stage experience DOES matter, although it doesn't mean the experience will ALWAYS trump in the end! Suppose you were in an up-and-coming band and had been doing small shows all your life, but then you had the chance to compete against other bands in lets just say the "Grand Ole Opry." Whilst competing in that arena of that caliber for the first time, you may be a lot more nervous than the bigger bands that have been doing bigger events for a while, which would give them a "handicap" or "edge." It doesn't mean that they will always win, but it would certainly be a factor! I think this analogy can be used for playoff experience in basketball as well...

The phrase may definitely be overused, and I'll agree with Miller there, but it isn't a useless phrase that holds no weight or has no meaning.

Rookie
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

My all time favorite is "He wanted it more."
    Really? You mean it was his talent that decided the outcome?

Or me close 2nd was "He has more playoff experience".
    Really? Do the rules change? So a guy with MORE EXPERIENCE is lesser of a player because he doesnt have the necessary "PLAYOFF experience"? Funny. I thought experience = experience.
    One game at a time! Really?

Starter
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 761
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 6

Like cyclones500 said, it is what it is.