Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 34

5.1 Receiver help

We just moved into a new house a few months ago and it came with built in 8" ceiling surround sound speakers (5.1). My old two channel receiver still works just fine, but obviously won't cut it anymore to utilize these. My question is whether it's worth spending money on a quality receiver or whether these ceiling speakers are typically poor quality and it won't make any difference.

Also for you audiophiles, what receiver or brand would you recommend. It also has to drive two separate pairs of speakers in the kitchen and the outside patio.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 381
    Given: 601

Re: 5.1 Receiver help

I've had a Denon for the last 4 years and have been happy with it.

When you say " drive two separate pairs of speakers", make sure you get one that is multi zone so that you can actually play different thing on each set of speakers.

About any decently priced Denon, Yamaha, or Marantz is going to be packed with a lot of stuff and half of it you'll probably never use.

Prospect
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone90 View Post
    We just moved into a new house a few months ago and it came with built in 8" ceiling surround sound speakers (5.1). My old two channel receiver still works just fine, but obviously won't cut it anymore to utilize these. My question is whether it's worth spending money on a quality receiver or whether these ceiling speakers are typically poor quality and it won't make any difference.

Also for you audiophiles, what receiver or brand would you recommend. It also has to drive two separate pairs of speakers in the kitchen and the outside patio.
    I like Intregra. They have some great units that are less expensive than some of the high end pre amp and receivers. Look for the Audessey system it helps set the room up so the sound is a lot better.
    You are probably going to go with a pre amp combined with the Amp.

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,019
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 217

A couple of things:

is there a wall plate or is the speaker wire labeled in a way that defines the system as 5.1? Sometimes when in-ceiling speakers are installed, they are wired in a series to fill the space with two-channel audio.

Also, in-ceiling speakers aren't really the best way to reproduce soundtracks - especially for movies. In film, the audio mix is specifically designed to reproduce the sound to come from in-front, next-to, and/or behind the viewer. Having the speakers above you will cause those sounds to overlap and will not reproduce the full effect. That being said, if you mostly watch sports or TV or just don't care how it sounds then a mid-range receiver would work great. I would recommend the Pioneer VSX line, but you are going to find all sorts of 5.1 receivers at stores like Best Buy for $400 or less.

Another site to look at would be CNET and look at their receiver reviews. They cover all aspects such as HDMI upconversion, audio decoders, number of inputs/outputs (HDMI), etc.

Also, find out what the wattage and ohm rating your in-ceiling speakers are set at - you don't want to buy a receiver that overdrives the speakers, or one that doesn't effectively power the speakers that causes them to clip.

All-Star
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by 3GenClone View Post
    A couple of things:

is there a wall plate or is the speaker wire labeled in a way that defines the system as 5.1? Sometimes when in-ceiling speakers are installed, they are wired in a series to fill the space with two-channel audio.

Also, in-ceiling speakers aren't really the best way to reproduce soundtracks - especially for movies. In film, the audio mix is specifically designed to reproduce the sound to come from in-front, next-to, and/or behind the viewer. Having the speakers above you will cause those sounds to overlap and will not reproduce the full effect. That being said, if you mostly watch sports or TV or just don't care how it sounds then a mid-range receiver would work great. I would recommend the Pioneer VSX line, but you are going to find all sorts of 5.1 receivers at stores like Best Buy for $400 or less.

Another site to look at would be CNET and look at their receiver reviews. They cover all aspects such as HDMI upconversion, audio decoders, number of inputs/outputs (HDMI), etc.

Also, find out what the wattage and ohm rating your in-ceiling speakers are set at - you don't want to buy a receiver that overdrives the speakers, or one that doesn't effectively power the speakers that causes them to clip.
    There are 7 sets of wiring, all labeled left front, right front, kitchen, etc so I think I'm ok there with 5.1 and two other pairs. Ya, I'm not thrilled with the in-ceiling speakers but that's what I've been dealt with for now. I have checked out CNET, but was mainly concerned about spending money on a decent receiver with these speakers. I tried taking one out of the ceiling but didn't have much luck without seemingly forcing things so I really don't know their specs. Didn't want to explain to my wife how the speaker and/or ceiling got hammered in our new house.