Why arenít more athletes brought in on Academic Scholarships?
    Pro
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 4

Interesting Ė See pages 205-206 of the NCAA Handbook: http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D111.pdf

15.5.1.2.2 ExceptionóReceipt of Institutional Academic Aid Only. In football or basketball, a student-athlete who was recruited by the awarding institution and whose only source of institutional financial aid is academic aid based solely on the recipientís academic record at the certifying institution, awarded independently of athletics interests and in amounts consistent with the pattern of all such awards made by the institution, may compete without counting in the institutionís financial aid team limits, provided he or she has completed at least one academic year of full-time enrollment at the certifying institution and has achieved a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.300 (on a 4.000 scale) at the certifying institution. (Adopted: 10/27/05 effective 8/1/06)

Translation: If you bring in a football or basketball player on an academic scholarship they count against your scholarship limit the first year but if they maintain a 3.300 GPA they can remain on that academic scholarship and not count toward the scholarship limit the remaining 3 years of eligibility. Thatís the way I read it anyway. I could be wrong.

Why donít we bring in more athletes at Iowa State on Academic Scholarships?

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 501
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 19

Re: Why arenít more athletes brought in on Academic Scholarships?

Because if you are on an academic scholarship, then you are expected to maintain a high GPA, go to class, do your homework and spend more time in the classroom than in the practice facility or on the field/court. You tell me how many coaches would allow their players to miss a meeting/lifting session/practice/etc... to be in a class room or study session? I would say 0.

I was a lucky one to be on a full-ride academic scholarship when in school but it wasn't easy balancing my studies with the demands of being on the football team. Eventually my senior year I had to make a decision and I decided to not play football anymore and graduate on time. Looking back, it was a great decision b/c I wouldn't be where I am today if I stayed playing football.

Last edited by Tank; 04-05-2011 at 06:47 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,214
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures50000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Simply put, most athletes are dumber than a box of rocks, which contradicts the whole "academic" part. Save those scholarships for deserving people who are here to focus solely on their grades and graduating.

Keepers of the Faith -- The Unknown

Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Because they can't drink natty light

Natty Light Gonna Do You Right

Starter
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 497
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 11

I don't think they can actually. IIRC, academic scholarships can only be used on athletes if the scholarship is awarded prior to any recruitment taking place by the school. In most schools' cases and in ISU's case for sure, recruitment of athletes typically starts in their Junior year, long before academic scholarships are available.

Prospect
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 318
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I thought the reason to put them on an athletic scholarship was due to some "perks" that are limited to scholarship athletes such as training tables.

Wasn't that the reason KF's kid got a scholarship even though he didn't need it.

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 501
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by Shockin View Post
    I thought the reason to put them on an athletic scholarship was due to some "perks" that are limited to scholarship athletes such as training tables.

Wasn't that the reason KF's kid got a scholarship even though he didn't need it.

I don't know about presently, but I wasn't on an athletic scholarship and still was allowed the same perks (training table, etc...) as the players on an athletic scholarship. Just being on the team gave us those perks.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 832
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 768
    Given: 1,168

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    I don't know about presently, but I wasn't on an athletic scholarship and still was allowed the same perks (training table, etc...) as the players on an athletic scholarship. Just being on the team gave us those perks.
    True just being on the team gets you those perks.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,325
    Given: 925

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Because if you are on an academic scholarship, then you are expected to maintain a high GPA, go to class, do your homework and spend more time in the classroom than in the practice facility or on the field/court. You tell me how many coaches would allow their players to miss a meeting/lifting session/practice/etc... to be in a class room or study session? I would say 0.

I was a lucky one to be on a full-ride academic scholarship when in school but it wasn't easy balancing my studies with the demands of being on the football team. Eventually my senior year I had to make a decision and I decided to not play football anymore and graduate on time. Looking back, it was a great decision b/c I wouldn't be where I am today if I stayed playing football.
    I highly doubt there's a single coach that can legitimately tell his players that they must skip class, labs, tests, etc. simply because practice and training sessions are more important. It would be almost impossible for a student athlete to maintain a 2.0 GPA otherwise. There might be some schedule manipulation and alternate arrangements made otherwise, but not a single athlete is going to be able to skip class just because practice and training are more important.

By the way, just to clarify, I'm talking about legitimate courses of study, not the "athlete factory" courses. For instance, when Paul Shirley was at ISU, he was studying engineering. There is no way in hell what you imply would apply to Paul Shirley because the College of Engineering isn't going to play that game. If you haven't walked by the west end of campus lately, it's clear they bring in more than enough $$$ to not be threatened by the AD (not that I ever see JP trying to bully the various schools in the first place).

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.