Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

I motion to rename the Big 12 to the I-35 Conference

Considering that we will soon only have 10 members, with the Big 10 having 12, it is time to overhaul the entire conference design. I think that not only would such a conference have good aesthetic taste, but could mean cheaper transportation for all schools in the conference.

And did you know that some people refer to Interstate 35 as the NAFTA superhighway, with proposed future development as a supercorridor? NAFTA superhighway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a list of current and possible schools to add in the future and their distance from Interstate 35.

Iowa State - Ames - ON
    Missouri - Columbia - 130 miles
    Kansas - Lawrence - 35 miles
    Kansas State - Manhattan - 50 miles
    Oklahoma State - Stillwater - 17 miles
    Oklahoma - Norman - ON
    Baylor - Waco - ON
    A&M - College Station/Bryan - 90 miles
    Texas - Austin - ON

These schools make up the main 9 that are relatively adjacent to I35, while Texas Tech is further away with no main interstate connecting it to I-35.

Texas Tech - Lubbock - 210 miles

Future possibilities:

Minnesota - Minneapolis - ON
    Tulsa - Tulsa - 92 miles
    Houston - Houston - 230 miles, but is on Interstate 45, and forms a triangle with Dallas and San Antonio that contains Baylor, Texas, TCU, and A&M.
    TCU - Fort Worth - ON

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

Re: I motion to rename the Big 12 to the I-35 Conference

I think naming a school in Truro after it is a stretch.

Legend
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 318
    Given: 162

No thanks. It sounds too high schoolish.
    We should just keep the "Big 12" name. It's national brand is huge and it would suck to just drop it. People know the name, Big 12, even if they aren't a big sports fan.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

All-Star
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 280
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 7

How about the 96 degrees longitude conference since that degree of longitude goes through every big 12 state?

Addict
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 654
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57

Keep the Big12. I think that when the new TV contracts start to be negotiated there will be another look at adding two teams. If that is even potentially the future, why go through the name change?

All-Star
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 39

I Move you brush up on your parliamentary skills.

All truisms are false. All of them.

Starter
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 644
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Okay, perhaps I 35 Conference does not roll off the tongue so well, but I wouldn't mind seeing Tulsa, TCU, and Houston get added to the conference, and Texas Tech going to the MWC or Pac 10. In the end, its probably us or them when you think about it, and we would end up in CUSA or the Missouri Valley

Speechless
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 252
    Given: 107

Quote Originally Posted by rahtotheames View Post
    Okay, perhaps I 35 Conference does not roll off the tongue so well, but I wouldn't mind seeing Tulsa, TCU, and Houston get added to the conference, and Texas Tech going to the MWC or Pac 10. In the end, its probably us or them when you think about it, and we would end up in CUSA or the Missouri Valley
    I nominate this for top 10 dumbest posts of all time on CF.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Please tell me you forgot this:

Starter
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 644
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Your right I was just joking the I 35 conference will have nothing to do with private schools babies such as Tulsa and TCU. And since Baylor is also private, and generate no revenue, they are gone as well. Instead we will add North Texas and Texas at Arlington, both of which are in Fort Worth, add Minnesota, and drop Texas Tech. That way we will have 12 public schools, meaning we can keep the Big 12 name while colliquially referring to it as the I 35 conference.

The North Division would be Minnesota, Iowa State, Kansas State, Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma State, while the South division would be Oklahoma, UTA, North Texas, Baylor, Texas, A&M, and Houston.

Rookie
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 662
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Wow. Sounds nifty. Way to go dude. But don't stop there. Now please think of new team nicknames and color schemes for the uniforms.

All-Star
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 778
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

Your right I was just joking the I 35 conference will have nothing to do with private schools babies such as Tulsa and TCU. And since Baylor is also private, and generate no revenue, they are gone as well. Instead we will add North Texas and Texas at Arlington, both of which are in Fort Worth, add Minnesota, and drop Texas Tech. That way we will have 12 public schools, meaning we can keep the Big 12 name while colliquially referring to it as the I 35 conference.

The North Division would be Minnesota, Iowa State, Kansas State, Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma State, while the South division would be Oklahoma, UTA, North Texas, Baylor, Texas, A&M, and Houston.
    Yeah, like Minnesota is ever going to leave the BigTen Conference; get a grip! The I35 Conference is a poor choice of names IMO. Geographically the name may make sense, but from a marketing revenue point of view, it's a bad choice. Big12 does have a national brand. Even so, if people really want to rename the conference, the Great Plains Conference is a better choice. People being lazy would refer to it by the initials calling it 'the GPC'. The GPC beats I35 all day, everyday as I see it. Of course, the GPC could be shortened to 'the Jeep conference'; could be good or bad depending on your point of view. Mostly bad as I see it unless one does some serious spinning.

Last edited by drednot57; 04-04-2011 at 01:14 AM.
    P.J. Farmer rocks!

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

North Texas and Texas at Arlington will add nothing to the Big 12, as far as revenue goes. We already have the DFW area on lockdown with Texas, A&M, and OU. In fact, if we are talking tv revenue, we don't need to add any team from Texas. Instead, we need to go east/west of our current area.
    And Minnesota will never leave the Big 10 for the Big 12. That would be a horrible decision on their part.

Starter
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 428
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonedave25 View Post
    North Texas and Texas at Arlington will add nothing to the Big 12, as far as revenue goes. We already have the DFW area on lockdown with Texas, A&M, and OU. In fact, if we are talking tv revenue, we don't need to add any team from Texas. Instead, we need to go east/west of our current area.
    And Minnesota will never leave the Big 10 for the Big 12. That would be a horrible decision on their part.
    I know it would never happen but I think Minnesota is the most attractive of the B10 schools. They have a large market and fan base. That being said they still aren't leaving for the big 12.

Starter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Considering that we will soon only have 10 members, with the Big 10 having 12, it is time to overhaul the entire conference design. I think that not only would such a conference have good aesthetic taste, but could mean cheaper transportation for all schools in the conference.

And did you know that some people refer to Interstate 35 as the NAFTA superhighway, with proposed future development as a supercorridor? NAFTA superhighway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a list of current and possible schools to add in the future and their distance from Interstate 35.

Iowa State - Ames - ON
    Missouri - Columbia - 130 miles
    Kansas - Lawrence - 35 miles
    Kansas State - Manhattan - 50 miles
    Oklahoma State - Stillwater - 17 miles
    Oklahoma - Norman - ON
    Baylor - Waco - ON
    A&M - College Station/Bryan - 90 miles
    Texas - Austin - ON

These schools make up the main 9 that are relatively adjacent to I35, while Texas Tech is further away with no main interstate connecting it to I-35.

Texas Tech - Lubbock - 210 miles

Future possibilities:

Minnesota - Minneapolis - ON
    Tulsa - Tulsa - 92 miles
    Houston - Houston - 230 miles, but is on Interstate 45, and forms a triangle with Dallas and San Antonio that contains Baylor, Texas, TCU, and A&M.
    TCU - Fort Worth - ON
    Unlike the other posters, I do not mind the proposal... Maybe if I-35 had a unique nickname or secondary name it went by, it would be more plausible (example if you had a conference on Old Hwy 30, it was the "Lincoln" Hwy so you could name a conference the "Lincoln" conference and I-88 is called Reagen Freeway or something like that).

The only completely ridiculous thing in your post was saying that Minnesota is a possibility! Unless the Big 12 changed it's format to rival the Big 10's revenue sharing and the I-35 corridor sees a population growth explosion, it will never ever, ever, ever be remotely possible that Minnesota would join the Big 12. And the only place where population is rising consistently would be the Texas Triangle anyway...

Let me fill you in on the "NAFTA Superhighway" and it is not good... If this was a possible idea, I would highly oppose the conference making any real ties or agreements to NAFTA, as for American sovereignty depends on I-35 not becoming the first avenue of the proposed American Union. Thankfully the people have not allowed this to happen and blocked the Trans-Texas Corridor (for now), which is a proposal in Texas for the federal government to let a foreign private company buy up the land and fund an improved I-35 corridor throughout Texas into a Mega highway with retaining walls lining both sides with more limited exits and less of them. This would destroy local communities and turn them into ghost towns after a few generations or so, making it a lot easier for the farming industry/corporations/federal government to by up more land... Not only all of this, but the TTC (I-35) would then be a tollway in which all the revenue generated would go off-shores to the private company in Spain named Cintra.

They are selling the idea to the people slowly and repeatedly until people change their minds. Under the guise of trade, people are starting to see some sort of "benevolence," while it is just the opposite.

According to NAFTA/North American Union plans, Texas would only be the beginning and I-35 would be the first NAU super highway coming from Mexico, going through the heartland, and into Canada... This would be the first main step in destroying national sovereignty which is and has been under attack for generations, and will persist until the people wake up to the reality of a Global Governance.

"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist." -Eisenhower