Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    Rookie
    Points: 9,356, Level: 29
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 594
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    353
    Points
    9,356
    Level
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Marty and Miller yesterday

    Did anyone else hear the show around 5:30-6? I know a lot have tuned out but the show kind of imploded on air, the two went at each other for 20 minutes. I usually feel bad for Miller, seems like a good guy trying to do a good show for the market, but I didn't agree with him on this point. Miller wanted to go over Iowa depth charts and Marty said no one cares, which isn't true, this market wants Hawks and Clones, and some UNI, Drake, etc. But Marty actually wanted to discuss the ISU Bball schedule which had just come out and Miller said that wasn't important. I wanted to hear discussion on the new schedule, which I think is very good for this team, and will be a very good home schedule next year.
    Was interesting to hear them blow up though, not sure how long that is going to last. I really think Ken Miller is trying, so it is too bad, but I really don't know what KXNO could get that would be better. I have no desire to hear Cotlar in the afternoon.



  2. #2
    Starter Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    monkeybrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    882
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    market rankings were to come out a week or so ago...anyone hear how they are doing in the market?



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 115,300, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUAlum2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    15,422
    Points
    115,300
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 22
    Quote Originally Posted by soccercy View Post
    Did anyone else hear the show around 5:30-6? I know a lot have tuned out but the show kind of imploded on air, the two went at each other for 20 minutes. I usually feel bad for Miller, seems like a good guy trying to do a good show for the market, but I didn't agree with him on this point. Miller wanted to go over Iowa depth charts and Marty said no one cares, which isn't true, this market wants Hawks and Clones, and some UNI, Drake, etc. But Marty actually wanted to discuss the ISU Bball schedule which had just come out and Miller said that wasn't important. I wanted to hear discussion on the new schedule, which I think is very good for this team, and will be a very good home schedule next year.
    Was interesting to hear them blow up though, not sure how long that is going to last. I really think Ken Miller is trying, so it is too bad, but I really don't know what KXNO could get that would be better. I have no desire to hear Cotlar in the afternoon.
    I tuned in at about 6:30 yesterday, and they were talking about the argument they had but didn't say exactly what the argument was about, so I had been wondering what happened.

    I guess I don't understand why they couldn't have just done both things. :D



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 333,325, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,631
    Points
    333,325
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 41
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrow View Post
    market rankings were to come out a week or so ago...anyone hear how they are doing in the market?
    I was wondering the same thing.

    I didn't listen yesterday...haven't been able to for a while now. Some days M&M are ok. Others I gotta turn it off...mostly because of Marty. No biggie.



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 20,710, Level: 43
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    Points
    20,710
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    I heard most of it. While it started as depth chart vs. BB schedule, it quickly became a full scale blow up of dirty laundry. At first I thought it had to be an act, but then it became clear that these guys were really going at each other on air. Miller seemed ready to throw in the towel and made several references to we will be off the air by November, while Marty was in his full volume nasal mode.

    Miller seemed very tired of Marty and his rants and personal attacks. Miller made several comments that what we are doing is really bad awful radio. Both slammed each other on scheduling of guests etc.

    It will be interesting to see how this one plays out. I normally tune in for a couple of minutes to pick up any ISU news and then get driven away by the over the top rants. Yesterday I stayed for the entertainment.



  6. #6
    Facebook Knows All
    Points: 269,490, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    15,961
    Points
    269,490
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 23
    Wow, it was bad. They were attacking each other on a personal level. Miller actually said "How many guests have you booked in the X months this show has been on the air...1?!?!" They were yelling at each other and everything. Later in the show Miller told Marty that if they were both in the studio together that the "gloves would have been on the ice".

    It really seemed like Miller wanted to be done with Marty all together.



  7. #7
    Starter Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    monkeybrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    882
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    In my opinion only....I still prefer them to Deace whose shows always led down the path to his holy temple ....which was too bad...cause he was good when just talking about sports


    Last edited by monkeybrow; 08-15-2006 at 10:49 AM.

  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 20,710, Level: 43
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    Points
    20,710
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    The other thing that was interesting was the comment Marty made on ISU and Iowa. Marty told Miller that if it was Iowa's BB schedule coming out instead of ISU's you would have been all over it.....

    In the "gloves on ice" comments Miller was very clear that if they were in the same room he would have layed Marty out.



  9. #9
    All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    amyk33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,145
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    I did not hear this rant yesterday, but I was listening on Friday afternoon when they mentioned the ratings that had come out. One of them made a comment how they weren't surprised they weren't doing well--they had expected it. Then a caller, as if right on cue, said how much he loves them and couldn't believe the ratings weren't better, etc.

    I *heart* Deace, but am having trouble tolerating his WHO show. I listen to M&M until they go off the deep end when I then have to put Jack Johnson into my cd player to calm down a bit.



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 20,710, Level: 43
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    Points
    20,710
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    I used to listen to KXNO almost exclusively, but now flip between WHO, KXNO and the Omaha station. The sad part to me is that M&M could be good. Marty needs to turn down the nasal volume and do his homework. His lack of preparation is very obvious. I think they have done a reasonable job with ISU and EIU, but Marty needs to get off his east coast baseball high horse. They don't seem to get that it isn't national sports vs. local Iowa teams, but be more relevant with the national sports.

    Both of them really lack the insight and analysis and instead report, rant, repeat and raise volume.

    I can tolerate them for a few minutes but then I have to flip the stations.



  11. #11
    All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    amyk33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,145
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by JCloned View Post
    I used to listen to KXNO almost exclusively, but now flip between WHO, KXNO and the Omaha station. The sad part to me is that M&M could be good. Marty needs to turn down the nasal volume and do his homework. His lack of preparation is very obvious. I think they have done a reasonable job with ISU and EIU, but Marty needs to get off his east coast baseball high horse. They don't seem to get that it isn't national sports vs. local Iowa teams, but be more relevant with the national sports.

    Both of them really lack the insight and analysis and instead report, rant, repeat and raise volume.

    I can tolerate them for a few minutes but then I have to flip the stations.
    What is the Omaha station you are referencing? I'm looking for new options!



  12. #12
    Rookie
    Points: 9,356, Level: 29
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 594
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    353
    Points
    9,356
    Level
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    590 am out of Omaha, Amy, is that a Boston Terrier in your picture? I want one!



  13. #13
    Prospect
    Points: 6,378, Level: 23
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    72
    Points
    6,378
    Level
    23
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    McCarney is to be on 590 today.

    Yesterday Bigsports 590 indicated they would be interviewing Dan McCarney at 2:30 this afternoon.
    I really like to listen to that station. They do have quite a bit of Husker talk on there, but they try to discuss ISU and Iowa too.



  14. #14
    All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    amyk33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,145
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by soccercy View Post
    590 am out of Omaha, Amy, is that a Boston Terrier in your picture? I want one!
    Thanks, I'll have to listen and see what I think!

    Yes, that is a BT. She's my baby! Her birthday is tomorrow--she'll be 3. You should get one...great dogs--loveable, smart...they'll do anything for their owners. They really love to snuggle up on the couch right next to you too--perfect for a cold day of football watching. :)



  15. #15
    Rookie
    Points: 13,414, Level: 35
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 636
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    480
    Points
    13,414
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    I was the one who called in "kevin from dm" who got him to read the schedule, they were really going at it



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM