Hugs4ISU

Is Google having second thoughts about open source?

Bloomberg is noting that Google still has not released the source code to the Honeycomb version of the Android OS.

Google Holds Honeycomb Tight - BusinessWeek

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 78

Re: Is Google having second thoughts about open source?

Given the competition to acquire market share in the mobile phone/tablet & mobile OS fields, I really cannot blame them for keeping their code secret. There's a crapload of money to be made right now and if they open source code right now they would just be helping competitors. Maybe once things settle down a bit they will open up some.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 261
    Given: 111

They'll still release it eventually. Theyre just saying its not quite ready for prime-time wide release to developers. Which is somewhat true- honeycomb is a fork in the android development meant to focus on tablets, but eventually i think the goal is to bring the phone\tablet OSes back together. Google realized it needed an intermediate step because hardware manufacturers wanted to get into the tablet game and the existing OS wasnt quite up to what it needed to be- in their eyes slapping a phone designed OS on a tablet isnt good enough.

In related news that is good news from google this week, theyre tightening down on manufacturers and their addons that are delaying updates to newer versions of the OS. Some are saying this is 'anti open source' but its a great move for the consumer and for app developers.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 101
    Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    They'll still release it eventually. Theyre just saying its not quite ready for prime-time wide release to developers. Which is somewhat true- honeycomb is a fork in the android development meant to focus on tablets, but eventually i think the goal is to bring the phone\tablet OSes back together. Google realized it needed an intermediate step because hardware manufacturers wanted to get into the tablet game and the existing OS wasnt quite up to what it needed to be- in their eyes slapping a phone designed OS on a tablet isnt good enough.

In related news that is good news from google this week, theyre tightening down on manufacturers and their addons that are delaying updates to newer versions of the OS. Some are saying this is 'anti open source' but its a great move for the consumer and for app developers.
    Exactly right

Starter
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 699
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I've been looking into this a bit because I was thinking about buying a tablet. I have put my purchase on hold. Google is in a bit of a mess with Android right now. They call it "fragmented" what it means is that their are devices running 2.0 2.1, 2.2. some new devices are targeting 2.3 and some 3.0. It appears Honeycomb or 3.0 wasn't ready for prime time when it was released with the xoom. One of the biggest problems is that the manufacturers do not release upgrades soon or sometimes at all. So the consumer finds out that the fancy phone they bought after 6 months is on an old version and it will never be upgraded. Or they buy a xoom to get 3.0 and find out its really "beta", doesn't work well, and there aren't many apps for it yet. The other problem is that many manufactures customize the UI for their products and sometimes even a single product line. That's why they don't release updates: every product is different and they can't support sw releases for 25 different phones.

Anyway, the issue that Google has with Android is NOT that it is open source. The issue is marketing, market timings, and product planning/scope. Will this be ironed out? Yeah, probably. Google wants to have a single code base for all releases. That is their goal. I've been in the sw bus for a long time and wouldn't be surprised if they end up with 2 versions of Android: one for phones, one for tablets. Thats not what google wants but it may be where it ends up anyway; imho.

Starter
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 976
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 11

Not exactly by the book - Omaha.com

Is this a case of using open source stuff. I am not a computer whiz, but I want to keep up with technology. People are always afraid of things they dont understand. (like I am of my ex wife)

"To run this drill, Everyone line up in a circle, pair up in rows of three, alphabetically"